Ceviche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a key lime-red pepper shellfish ceviche as a side for dinner tonight. It was great stuff. I'll put the recipe for it below.

(Recipe from Bobby Flay, btw)

Ceviche:

1/2 pound medium shrimp
1 pound squid (I used calimari)
1/2 pound Calico Bay scallops
2 cups fresh key lime juice
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup bottled clam juice
1/4 cup smoked red pepper sauce (recipe below)
a yellow pepper; roasted, peeled seeded and diced
a poblano pepper, roasted peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
an orange, sgemented
a lemon, segmented
a key lime, segmented
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Red Pepper Sauce:

1 red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chipotle puree
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon of honey
salt/pepper

*Combine peppers, onion, chipolte, lime juice and oil in food processor. Blend until it's smooth. Add in the honey salt and pepper and blend another 10 seconds.

Ceviche:

*Bring saucepan of salted water to boil. Fill a bowl with ice cubes and cover in cold water. Add shrimp and squid (calimari) to the boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds. Lift out of the water and throw into the ice water to shock. When it's cooled, drain them on paper towels

Place blanched shrimp and squid and the scallops in a bowl and add the lime and lemon juice...mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours, covered

After two hours, remove fish from the fridge and pour off all the juice. Whisk together the clam juice and red pepper sauce until combined and add to the fish. Add peppers, onion, citrus sections and cilantro and mix to combine. Add salt and pepper for taste

We fried some tortillas and served the whole thing in bowls with a couple tortillas in there for scooping.

I mentioned this to my husband and asked if he would be willing to try this next time we go fishing, thinking this will be entirely new to him, and he gives me this "where have you been the last three years?" look. Apparently ceviche conch is one of the specialties of our little island.

Yakuta said:
I had one that was made with red snapper and it was delish. I asked the server at the restaurant how they make it and he said it was marinated in lime juice for several hours. The acid changes the texture of the fish and it's almost cooked. I did not taste any rawness.

The one I had was made with finely diced red snapper marinated in lime juice (lots of it) and then tossed in with finely diced tomatoes, red onion, avacados, cilantro, jalapeno and garlic. It was served in a martini glass - I can't get the taste out of my mouth. I think I need to go to San Angel in Oralando at Epcot again to enjoy this treat.

That is about the same ingredients that I use in ceviche. I use ocean fish and shell fish as fresh water fish needs to be cooked. A Peruvian friend always adds sweet potatoes to his ceviche. I like l;ots of scallops in it.:) :) :)

Swann said:
A Peruvian friend always adds sweet potatoes to his ceviche.
Swann that sounds very interesting. Does he cook the sweet potatoes first or do they go in raw as well?

GB said:
Swann that sounds very interesting. Does he cook the sweet potatoes first or do they go in raw as well?

The sweet potatoes are firm cooked and cut into chunks of about 1" size. Gives a sweetness to the ceviche. Care must be taken as the potato falls apart.

Thanks Swann. that sounds really good. In addition to the sweetness I bet the color it adds looks great too.

Swann said:
That is about the same ingredients that I use in ceviche. I use ocean fish and shell fish as fresh water fish needs to be cooked. A Peruvian friend always adds sweet potatoes to his ceviche. I like l;ots of scallops in it.:) :) :)

He adds the purple sweet potatoes right? Not the orange ones.

One cannot always find the correct one to buy. He did use the orange as that is what was available. I wish we could buy more varieties of potatoes. We grew some different ones for a couple years but did not produce enough to justify the garden use. We do better with tomatoes.

I was going to post this recipe when I noticed this post. We make ceviche in about 20 different ways but I recently acquired a recipe that is easy and excellent. I made it because it had green olives in it and I thought that it was interesting. It was GREAT. I used shrimp but my brother used fish and scallops, he loved it as well.

Ceviche:
1 pound medium shrimp, scallops or fish or all three (about a pound overall)
2 cups of fresh lime juice
1 medium onion chopped
7 plum tomatoes diced
2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced small
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup nice green olives - pimento removed and chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of Salt
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1 Avocado peeled, pitted and diced - For this recipe I used an Avocado that was still fairly firm.

Peel the shrimp and cut them in half so they are little chuncks. Place them in a bown and cover them in the lime juice. Refridgerate for at least 4 hours. I stir them once or twice during the time they are in the lime juice. The acid in the lime juice carmelized the proteins in the seafood which is the same effect as cooking it with heat. I think that is really cool.

After 4 hours, drain the shrimp and tranfere to a bigger bowl. Toss with everything else and put it back in the fridge until chilled through.

I made this the night before and let it mix together overnight. Next time I am going to eat it in a wrap with strips of fried tortilla.

Enjoy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom