"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
Executive Chef

OK. I figured as much. I am landlocked and live 100 miles from the city. Not much fresh fish around here. I have a few supermarkets which offer a decent variety of seafood products, but they are all frozen. I would be interested in trying it, even though it is not an ideal situation.
Thanks, doods.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.f.Dowell View Post
I have found out that the benefits of eating a fresh fish/seafood over frozen fish/seafood is that when you get a frozen fish from a supermarket they are less healthier and do not have any nutrients in them. Fresh fish contain nutrients that are very beneficial to our health..example- Omega-3 fatty acids. Also, obviously fresh fish will taste better because you know it is not processed, atleast nearly as bad as a frozen fish...depending on where you buy the fish.. because it could have come from a fish farm..which then, it could be pumped full of hormones. But, if you buy off the docks; if your so lucky to live on a shore, or if you have access to a fish monger..thats the way to go!

Safety issue... i dont really think so, i mean you'd have to do some research, some fish you cant eat raw and you want to stear clear of eating raw at all. Some fish it is okay to eat raw...it really depends. I dont have a distinguished list in front of me, but i could probably find one.. Using a frozen fish would not hurt you though.

This is to my knowledge off the top of my head and what i found really quick... maybe someone else might know more on here?
Fish doesn't lose any Omega 3 fatty acids by being frozen. If the fish is frozen on the fishing boat, it's going to be fresher than what can be bought "fresh" for those of us further from the ocean.

BTW, I've seen previously frozen fish at fish mongers, as well as farmed fish. You gotta pay attention. Of course, if you can buy it fresh off the dock, that is really the way to go.

Farmed fish can be perfectly nice. I lived on a trout farm for a while. The fish there ate wild food for the last year before harvest. Some places want big fish in a hurry, so they feed them Trout Chow right up to harvest. Guess what those farmed trout taste like.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
OK. I figured as much. I am landlocked and live 100 miles from the city. Not much fresh fish around here. I have a few supermarkets which offer a decent variety of seafood products, but they are all frozen. I would be interested in trying it, even though it is not an ideal situation.
Thanks, doods.
The quality of frozen fish varies a lot. Fatty fish freeze well. Until I got worried about farmed fish from Asia, we used to buy High Liner. Their stuff tastes fresh. I'm very picky about fish. I lived in Copenhagen - lots of fresh caught fish in Copenhagen. Lots of fish in the Scandinavian diet.

High Liner does have frozen wild salmon and frozen wild cod. Haven't tried those, 'cause we have been too broke. I just wish they would write on the package where the fish were from. By law, product of Canada, only means that it has to be packaged in Canada
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The quality of frozen fish varies a lot. Fatty fish freeze well. Until I got worried about farmed fish from Asia, we used to buy High Liner. Their stuff tastes fresh. I'm very picky about fish. I lived in Copenhagen - lots of fresh caught fish in Copenhagen. Lots of fish in the Scandinavian diet.

High Liner does have frozen wild salmon and frozen wild cod. Haven't tried those, 'cause we have been too broke. I just wish they would write on the package where the fish were from. By law, product of Canada, only means that it has to be packaged in Canada
I have bought the frozen salmon from High Liner. It is good. I only buy it when it goes on sale for 4 bucks, down from 6.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #25
Executive Chef

In the USA, "fresh" only means the fish has not been frozen. I prefer to eat fish that I have caught; second choice is "fresh" fish from a reputable monger; third is smoked fish (eg finnann haddie and lachs); and fourth canned fish. Having passed some fish cannery towns in New Brunswick, that aroma has been enough to somewhat stifle my enthusiasm for canned fish. The freshness of seafood, as well as its habitat, can have a profound effect on its flavor and texture.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

must be nice to live on a giant sand bar called lawn guyland, huh jpbill?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Bucky, it get's pretty much less and less nice each year; i.e. more and more 'developed' / civilized.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I googled this a while back, since I love gravad laks.
How do you make your gravlax? I love the one that my friend from Greenland makes at Christmas time...
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
How do you make your gravlax? I love the one that my friend from Greenland makes at Christmas time...
I used to use Julia Child's recipe, one I wrote down from one of her shows. It's not the one in her book, The Way to Cook. I lost the one I used to use.

I have some marinating in the fridge right now. I'm using this recipe: Gravlaks, sort of.

I'm making a much smaller amount, so I cut down all the amounts. I cut the sugar to a ratio of 3 parts salt to 2 parts sugar. I left out the carraway seeds, and I used vodka instead of akvavit or brandy. You could use lemon juice instead of the booze.

I'll post about it if it turns out good. The recipe looks a lot like the one I used to use.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have some marinating in the fridge right now. I'm using this recipe: Gravlaks, sort of.
The thought of gravlaks has me drooling...Trade you maple syrup for some gravlaks <g>. I can meet you in C'wall.

Tags
citruis, history, recipe, shrimp, vegetables

Ceviche, Cebiche, Seviche [B]Shrimp Ceviche (Cebiche or Seviche)[/B] [B]An international seafood dish that originated in South/Central Americas, Latin & Caribbean cultures. Ceviche must be prepared fresh and strictly using only fresh ingredients to prevent food poisoning. Ceviche is made from raw fish that is marinated in citrus juice, with no cooking involved. The citrus acids will actually “cook” the fish in the marinade. Citrus juices used are anything involving acidic fruits, most popular are lemon and lime juice, but also include grapefruit juice and orange juice. There are several different types of variations of ceviche and have been dated back to nearly 2000 years ago. Ceviche is marinated in a citrus-based mixture, and the acids from the citrus make the proteins in the fish to become denatured and like alcohol, will kill any cell activity and problems dealing with food poisoning. Classically, it was told to let the diced fish rest in the acids for about 3 hours, but commonly today when you add the diced fish to the acids, by the time you add the rest of the ingredients, combine and serve to the table the dish will be perfect for consumption. Ceviche is commonly used with white fish, not fish with a dark, or red color of flesh. For example, you would make ceviche from shrimp, lobster, scallops, etc. and not from a tuna. Typically when the fish is marinated in the acids, the fish will turn a pale white color instead of being translucent, so if you used a red-fleshed fish, it would turn brown like an avocado or an apple would when exposed to air. [/B][B] ErikDowellCulinary.Tumblr.com or twitter- ErikFDowell.[/B] [B][U]Shrimp Ceviche[/U][/B] [B]2 lbs Shrimp. Peeled, and De-veined[/B] [B]2-3 Tomatoes, small dice[/B] [B]1/2 of a Red Onion, small dice[/B] [B]1 Cucumber, small dice[/B] [B]12 lemons, juiced[/B] [B]6 limes, juiced[/B] [B]2 oranges, juiced[/B] [B]1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar [/B] [B]2 tbsp. oil [/B] [B]1 bundle of Cilantro, finely chopped[/B] [B]1 Jalepeno pepper, small dice (keep the seeds in if you like spicy, take the seeds out if you like it less spicy)[/B] [B]1/2 of a Red Bell Pepper, small dice[/B] [B]1/2 of a yellow Bell Pepper, small dice[/B] [B]1 Serano Pepper, small dice[/B] [B][U]Procedure[/U][/B] [B]1.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]Peel, De-Vein and chop the shrimp into small pieces. Use fresh shrimp from the market, or in the deli case in your super market, not frozen! (1/4-1/2 inch pieces, medium-large dice) and place into a tall bowl or even a large ziplock bag.[/B] [B]2.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]Juice the lemons, limes, and oranges and place the juice into the bowl or large ziplock bag and cover. Place in the Refrigerator for 2-3 hours.[/B] [B]3.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]In a seperate bowl, combine all of the other ingredients…[/B] [B]4.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]Small dice: the tomatoes, onion, peppers, & cucumber and finely chop the bunch of cilantro and combine.[/B] [B]5.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]Add the apple cider vinegar and oil.[/B] [B]6.)[FONT="] [/FONT][/B][B]Once the shrimp have reached a pale, white color, marry the two mixtures together.. Depending on how you want it, first strain the liquid from the shrimp into another bowl. Once you add the shrimp and toss it together, check the taste and consistency… You can add more of the juice that you strained off, or not. [/B] [B] [/B] [B][FONT="]…Apparently the juice leftover from ceviche is a magical hangover cure, I have not tested this but please feel free to get back to me about that and let me know! [/FONT][/B] 3 stars 1 reviews