"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

I love clams. I love them fried, I love them steamed, I love them in a "crab boil", et cetera.

Problem is, I'm not terribly familiar with the myriad ways of cooking them, as I don't do it often.

Sure, there are thousands of recipes out there on the intarwebs, but I've found that only about 15% of them are worth anything.

Anyone here have any favorite methods of cooking clams? Any kind is fine (i.e. littleneck, razor, etc), and any preparation would be welcomed.

I want to start eating them more, but I don't have many ideas on what to do with them.

BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Head Chef
Have you tried linguine with either white or red clam sauce?

How about good old Clam Chowder? New England style is a white, creamy chowder. Manhattan style is red, with tomatoes (I think).

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Master Chef
We like them steamed with melted lemon butter (both hard-shells & soft-shells); grilled hard-shells just until they open - again with melted lemon butter; & in pasta sauces (I prefer the "white" sauces. And of course - also love chowders, & in the case of really fresh hard-shells - raw!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I love clams too, but all my friends make them so I never do. The only one I know is to make steamers, you throw in some water and a can of beer steam the for ten minutes (once the water boild again) and serve with drawn butter and ice cold beer. A frined of mine makes great fried clams, I think its just egg wash & flour and breadcrumbsthat he uses before frying in his frydaddy. My favorite of all time is clam cakes, but I have get the recipe for that too.
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Lefty7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Head Chef
Ohhh, clamcakes! Good one, Lefty! With baked beans!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Head Chef
I made this again the other night to rave reviews. It doesn't get much simpler than this either:

Zuppa di Cozze (Mussel Soup)
  • 2 pounds mussels or clams
  • 1 onion
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • cup dry white wine
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes
  • cup finely chopped parsley
  • 6 basil leaves
  • pinch crushed red chili pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil as needed
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • sea salt
  • bread for bruschette
  1. Wash and scrub the mussels, removing the beards and any material attached to the shells.
  2. Slice and dice the onion into small pieces. Slice the tomatoes in half, gently squeeze the seeds from them, and then coarsely chop.
  3. Place a large pot on the range over moderately high heat, add cup of olive oil, the diced onions, at least 4 garlic cloves, and let cook for several minutes until the ingredients begin to wilt. Add the wine, tomatoes, ground black pepper and, if desired, add the chili pepper, then the mussels. Cover the pot and steam for about 15 minutes, stirring the bottom shells from time to time to ensure they are evenly cooked.
  4. When the mussels have finished cooking, stir in the chopped parsley, place the mussel soup in individual bowls and place two slices of bruschette on each bowl, and serve.
  5. <Bruschette> Diagonally slice about 12 pieces of bread, preferably from a baguette or long Italian loaf, and toast. Slice a garlic clove in half, rub each slice of toast with the garlic, then drizzle some olive oil on each slice. This will use up about 4 large cloves.

I didn't use fresh tomatoes since the ones at the store looked rather sorry, I just threw two cans of fire-roasted tomatoes in and smooshed them up against the side of the pan to break them up into smaller chunks. I used closer to three pounds of clams so increased everything a bit and added more wine as well to make sure there was enough juice. And I'd definitely add the crushed chili flakes as the added heat makes this all the more flavorful!

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
That's pretty similar to this recipe, Zereh Mojo Moulies Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
I made this a couple months ago and it was pretty good.

Shoot. Aren't the attachments working? I can't get the pic in.
There's a pic of them in this thread
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I make white clam sauce for pasta with canned baby clams.....I live in the midwest, would you trust fresh clams when you are thousands of miles from the ocean....not this girl!

Pacanis, love your avatar!
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Master Chef
Actually, fresh bivalves are one of the few fresh seafood items you CAN trust, because it's easy to tell if they're alive & thus fresh - unlike other seafood items. Plus, treated correctly, they remain fresh & alive for quite awhile after harvest.

If they're tightly closed when you buy them (or close tightly after a light tap on the shell), they're tagged with their place of origin, & you discard any that don't open while cooking, you're safely good to go.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Here's how I make clams.

I still need to try adding the chorizo as Ironchef suggested. The white wine and thyme is awesome with clams.

Don't forget the toast!

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote