"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cod Fillets Shrinkage

Hi, Can anyone suggest the best way (other than frying in batter!) to cook Cod Fillets? Whether I steam them or put them in foil in the oven they always end up half the size! Is there another way to avoid this?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Master Chef

Welcome Tinybot

You must be over cooking them.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Fresh cod filets have natural body fluids. But not enough to cause them to shrink. Some vendors will soak their products in water to add to the weight. They do it with scallops and lots of other sea products. When cooked this added water will cook off and cause shrinkage. My second husband was a professional fisherman. He always brought home fresh, caught in the last haul, fileted fish for the family. I never had a problem with shrinkage.

Welcome to DC. A fun place to be. Lots of laughter and information. Do please stick around and join in the fun. We would love to have you.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

I agree with Kayelle. When proteins are cooked, their flesh tightens up; usually it's only a little, but if the heat is too high and the moisture is cooked out of the fish, it wiill shrink more. Most fish only needs to be cooked for 10 minutes or so, and not at extremely high temperatures.

How long are you cooking your fish?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

I have the same problem when I use those 4 ounce frozen portions that come individually wrapped. I believe it is due to the addition of some type of liquid "solution". When I buy whole/natural fillets the shrinkage is negligible.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Fresh cod filets have natural body fluids. But not enough to cause them to shrink. Some vendors will soak their products in water to add to the weight. They do it with scallops and lots of other sea products. When cooked this added water will cook off and cause shrinkage. My second husband was a professional fisherman. He always brought home fresh, caught in the last haul, fileted fish for the family. I never had a problem with shrinkage.

Welcome to DC. A fun place to be. Lots of laughter and information. Do please stick around and join in the fun. We would love to have you.
Ya fillets that have been caught by your friends/family aren't going to be put in 'food-safe' chemical baths which make the cell walls almost burst with as much water as they can absorb. This is a very common practise in the seafood industry. If the protein strands, any protein strands like in eggs, beef, chicken etc. are heated over 212 F the cells contract and squeeze out their water.
So when you are cooking any seafood always cook it very slowly and gently and never over 212F.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
So when you are cooking any seafood always cook it very slowly and gently and never over 212F.
I don't think my cracked conch or conch fritters would work at that temperature, not to mention any other fried, roasted or grilled seafood.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I don't think my cracked conch or conch fritters would work at that temperature, not to mention any other fried, roasted or grilled seafood.
Of course not.
But you don't put grill a fresh prawn or a piece of fresh fish for ten minutes. It's one thing to give the seafood a quick sear. It's another thing to overcook the seafood. You know this of course.
Same thing as grilling/searing a steak for a few moments to seal in the juices. But you know this too don't you.
I KNOW you know what I'm referring to about overheating protein strands.
No need for the 'eye roll' Everyone here who posted said the member must be overcooking the fish.
All I posted was a suggestion not to heat the seafood beyond 212 F right?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You know that grilling/searing meat does not seal in juices, right? That old idea has been debunked again and again.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #10
Head Chef

You didn't happen to keep your cod in the swimming pool.

Sorry couldn't help myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67e4b3ddb2f38b93115edc07cbafe0cb.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	24222  

Tags
cod fillets, other