Comfort Tuna Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a taste test with foodie friends, on that.

Yeah tuna cassarole is the heart and soul of major childhood food trauma, right behind poorly made brussel sprouts or broccoli, which are the mussel on it.

I just laugh, Yellowfin, packaged in Italia in olive oil... Just like sardines, unless you go with an artisnal sardine, (and yeah I know that sounds heavy hipster, but it exists, and you are the one that thinks your sardines come from a particular country). The tuna fisheries are set, you are deciding where it is processed.

I bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and the chicken of the sea tinned variety. Now not if it is left alone, as they don't grind it, and leave it looking like fish, but put into a simple dish, like a risotto, or a say casserole.

Your chosen, Yellowfin (that is something made up by tuna sellers), packaged in olive oil (mostly not olive oil) with a bit of barley starch to make a pate, vs my Weis Markets discount tuna (probably has dolphin) with canola oil (well, can't afford olive oil), and same barley starch, will you notice a difference in taste? Unlikely

Personally, I think you are being a jerk, but that's just my opinion. You obviously are spouting off about something you've never seen, much less had per your own description, which is completely, totally, absolutely wrong about taste, appearance, texture, every single way. Kinda sounds like a jerk doesn't it?

I'll guarantee both of us could tell the difference. You'd only have to pop the top off and I'd be able to tell, wouldn't even have to look at it or taste it. My reactions to canned tuna have been well documented on here in several posts.

Oh, BTW, yellowfin is NOT something made up by tuna sellers.

Craig already covered the fact that we WON'T be making a tuna casserole out of any kind of tuna. Not sure why you brought that up again. And I wouldn't be making or even want a meal made out of canned tuna, ramen noodles and peas.

IYou want me to give you recipes you can't execute? I can do that.

Unless you have a recipe that requires some kind of special equipment that we don't have or ingredient that we can't get or it's something using your junk canned tuna, I HIGHLY doubt it couldn't be executed in our household. Before boasting, again, about something you know not and putting foot firmly in mouth, I'd suggest you look at some of the things that come out of our kitchen... Might not be as prettily plated as a professional kitchen, but will taste the same.

And, no, neither of us have worked in a brigade, something you seem to like to boast about. Hmm, a pattern here maybe? But we have had a chef at out home for dinner and recieved rave reviews of our food, with requests for recipes that I know for a fact that he used to make the dishes himself.

Personally, I think you are being a jerk, but that's just my opinion.

Yep you are right, I apologize.

I got my back up unnecessarily. I really personally dislike looking down on certain ingredients as 'worthless' as they have been sometimes what I could afford, but I shouldn't have taken it personally.

My apologies to everyone and particularly to Craig.

I'll tell him in person.

I do tend to admit it when I'm wrong. Thank you for pointing it out politely.

TBS

I got my back up unnecessarily. I really personally dislike looking down on certain ingredients as 'worthless' as they have been sometimes what I could afford, but I shouldn't have taken it personally.

I'll tell him in person.

TBS

No problem.:) Its all good! I'm a self taught cook, originally out of desperation. When my Oma passed there were no other cooks in my family. What ever I made, I ate no matter how bad it was. Trust me, that inspired me to improve quickly for the sake of my taste buds!:ohmy: The main salvation was my lobstering and spearfishing.

The main salvation was my lobstering and spearfishing.

I have tried and tried to attract lobsters here to Pennsylvania, and been very unsuccessful. :yum: is a mystery to me as Wegmans seems to have a full tank of them, every week. I get a trout every now and again here in the river, but not one lobster.

Your spicy lobster recipe looks awesome, BTW, as I am traveling end of month to coastal Virginia, I might re-purpose it to crab.

Nice you use Colemans dry mustard in the mix, I feel about mustard in the bottle, (a plague on thee Frenches!) What you feel about canned chunk lite tuna.

Cheers,

TBS

I'll tell him in person.

TBS

Thank you. And I'll apologize for writing "junk canned tuna," shouldn't have written that as some actually like it.

There have been times that Craig and I, separately or together, have had to live on a strict budget and we've had our SCORE moments too. I understand where you are coming from, BUT, I'll eat a steady diet of peanut butter and crackers rather than eat regular canned tuna. Even the premium stuff I'll only eat because of him. Get right down to it, canned tuna is all pretty much junk to me personally, just don't like it, though some of it is at least tolerable.

Nicoise salad is in our meal rotation this week. I'll try to remember to take pictures of the Ortiz tuna straight out of the can and then broken apart so you can see how it flakes and the difference between it and the supermarket varieties. My plate will be heavy on the veges and the eggs. Craig's will have the majority of the tuna.

Yet one of my absolute favorite summer foods growing up was my mother's tuna macaroni salad, made with (among other things) plain canned tuna, Creamettes rings, and Miracle Whip. Also had celery, onion, horseradish, a dash of ketchup for color, and green peas. I still make it at least once each summer - not sure I could survive a summer without it. It is best with canned chunk tuna, works with either oil or water packed.

I guess I'm one of those rare people who really isn't a fan of grilled tuna steaks. I've only bought raw tuna a couple of times in my life. There are so much better fish in the ocean (in my opinion) that I don't see what is so great about tuna fish. I'd rather have my tuna like what I grew up with. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom