"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Comfort Tuna Casserole

So Beloved Wife is having a 'difficult' week. She has been out Lawyerin', but her clients have not been cooperative and it makes her sad, because she is a good lawyer, and just wants good results for her clients, and sometimes they don't cooperate. For her, comfort food is Tuna Casserole. So this is mine.

To wit:

4 cups milk
1 big can canned tuna
16 oz Rotini pasta
1 can Ro-Tell tomatoes
16 oz frozen broccoli cuts
2 cups cheese of some kind, shredded (motz is good swiss or asiago is better)
1 tbsp mustard
2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp corn starch

OK, start by boiling the pasta, drain and reserve.

That, the can of tomatoes, the broccoli, and the tuna, put that in a big casserole dish.

Bring the milk to a low heat, and stir in cheese and spices. You don't want to scald the milk on this, once the cheese is melted and the spices seem to be evenly distributed, add corn starch and stir.

Pour this over the rest, and stir.

You can sprinkle some cheese, if you have any left, on the top, but this basically just goes in the oven at 345 for a half hour.

I serve this with bread, heck I serve everything with bread, but it also freezes quite well, so make more than you need.

Cheers,

TBS (fox)

Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Can we get free legal help?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
You probably ought to say that with a tuna casserole in hand for them.

I know my mother hated me by how much tuna casserole she made for us.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
You got a workmans comp, Social Security Divisibility, or a credit card problem, I'll pass it on. If it filters through me, it isn't legal advice, because I am NOT a lawyer.

My Beloved Wife, however, is the best lawyer in Pennsylvania. There might be some PA supreme court judges that are close, but yeah, Beloved Wife is the best.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
If it filters through me, it isn't legal advice, because I am NOT a lawyer.
Do you play one on television?
Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Do you play one on television?
All the time, just look for the handsome troubled lawyer/cop, with a badge but issues, that is totally me!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Tuna casserole, NEVER going to be seen on our table. Bad childhood memory. Now a great Nicoise salad and we're talking. If using canned tuna, it has to be yellowfin packed in olive oil, from either Spain or Italy!
Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Tuna casserole, NEVER going to be seen on our table. Bad childhood memory. Now a great Nicoise salad and we're talking. If using canned tuna, it has to be yellowfin packed in olive oil, from either Spain or Italy!
I did a taste test with foodie friends, on that.

Yeah tuna cassarole is the heart and soul of major childhood food trauma, right behind poorly made brussel sprouts or broccoli, which are the mussel on it.

I just laugh, Yellowfin, packaged in Italia in olive oil... Just like sardines, unless you go with an artisnal sardine, (and yeah I know that sounds heavy hipster, but it exists, and you are the one that thinks your sardines come from a particular country). The tuna fisheries are set, you are deciding where it is processed.

I bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and the chicken of the sea tinned variety. Now not if it is left alone, as they don't grind it, and leave it looking like fish, but put into a simple dish, like a risotto, or a say casserole.

Your chosen, Yellowfin (that is something made up by tuna sellers), packaged in olive oil (mostly not olive oil) with a bit of barley starch to make a pate, vs my Weis Markets discount tuna (probably has dolphin) with canola oil (well, can't afford olive oil), and same barley starch, will you notice a difference in taste? Unlikely
Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I did a taste test with foodie friends, on that.

Yeah tuna cassarole is the heart and soul of major childhood food trauma, right behind poorly made brussel sprouts or broccoli, which are the mussel on it.

I just laugh, Yellowfin, packaged in Italia in olive oil... Just like sardines, unless you go with an artisnal sardine, (and yeah I know that sounds heavy hipster, but it exists, and you are the one that thinks your sardines come from a particular country). The tuna fisheries are set, you are deciding where it is processed.

I bet you couldn't tell the difference between that and the chicken of the sea tinned variety. Now not if it is left alone, as they don't grind it, and leave it looking like fish, but put into a simple dish, like a risotto, or a say casserole.

Your chosen, Yellowfin (that is something made up by tuna sellers), packaged in olive oil (mostly not olive oil) with a bit of barley starch to make a pate, vs my Weis Markets discount tuna (probably has dolphin) with canola oil (well, can't afford olive oil), and same barley starch, will you notice a difference in taste? Unlikely
Hahahahaha! You are full of it. There are several folks on DC that tried the yellowfin (at my suggestion) vs the albacore and can taste the difference. If you don't know what you are talking about, maybe you should refrain from comment.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have written about this several times. I will NOT touch the supermarket brands, don't even want to be in the house when one of those cans is opened, but I'll happily eat a nicoise salad made with one of the premium Italian or Spanish brands. The appearance is like fresh tuna that has been cooked to well and there's no fishy tuna smell. Oh, and the tuna isn't a pate. It breaks and flakes.

Tags
milk, pasta, recipe, tuna

Comfort Tuna Casserole So Beloved Wife is having a 'difficult' week. She has been out Lawyerin', but her clients have not been cooperative and it makes her sad, because she is a good lawyer, and just wants good results for her clients, and sometimes they don't cooperate. For her, comfort food is Tuna Casserole. So this is mine. To wit: 4 cups milk 1 big can canned tuna 16 oz Rotini pasta 1 can Ro-Tell tomatoes 16 oz frozen broccoli cuts 2 cups cheese of some kind, shredded (motz is good swiss or asiago is better) 1 tbsp mustard 2 tsp cayenne pepper salt and pepper to taste 1 tbsp corn starch OK, start by boiling the pasta, drain and reserve. That, the can of tomatoes, the broccoli, and the tuna, put that in a big casserole dish. Bring the milk to a low heat, and stir in cheese and spices. You don't want to scald the milk on this, once the cheese is melted and the spices seem to be evenly distributed, add corn starch and stir. Pour this over the rest, and stir. You can sprinkle some cheese, if you have any left, on the top, but this basically just goes in the oven at 345 for a half hour. I serve this with bread, heck I serve everything with bread, but it also freezes quite well, so make more than you need. Cheers, TBS (fox) 3 stars 1 reviews