"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Master Chef

Well the test subjects are chillin in the fridg.

The lady at the fish counter laughed at me when I asked for a dozen little neck clams!

When she brought me my little net bag about the size of a lemon I could understand why.

This will be enough for a taste test!

I have rigged up a steamer using a saucepan and a small round trivet, I'll give it a try for lunch!

Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

They can also be grilled.

Pop-Open Clams with Horseradish-Tabasco Sauce

Grilled Clams with Lemon Ginger Butter

Old 05-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Well the test subjects are chillin in the fridg.

The lady at the fish counter laughed at me when I asked for a dozen little neck clams!

When she brought me my little net bag about the size of a lemon I could understand why.

This will be enough for a taste test!

I have rigged up a steamer using a saucepan and a small round trivet, I'll give it a try for lunch!
sounds good, b. awaiting results.

btw, i usually figure about a dozen littlenecks per person for an appy..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sounds good, b. awaiting results.

btw, i usually figure about a dozen littlenecks per person for an appy..
They were perfect, not a klinker in the bunch!

Now that I know how easy it is to do this I think they will appear more frequently!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Master Chef

If you want to make it really easy just put them onto a glass pie dish after you rinse them. Put plastic wrap over the entire thing and pop them into the microwave oven. Watch the little darlin's spin around until they all pop open - unless there are a couple of klunkers.

I know I've probably committed a mortal sin with this method but when you can't wait...
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I always scrub and purge hardshell clams. I like to steam them in white wine, garlic, and onion of some type with a pinch of S&P. I usually get a 50 count bag of little necks, eat what we want and freeze the rest in the steaming liquid. These I will use with the broth to make pasta and clams.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
They were perfect, not a klinker in the bunch!

Now that I know how easy it is to do this I think they will appear more frequently!
Cool
Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Master Chef

Yesterday I was in the Price Chopper and they had clams from Maine, 50 for $5.99. The other day I paid $3.99 for a dozen little neck clams. I asked the fish guy about the difference in price and the quality of the cheaper clams. He explained that the more expensive clams have been purged prior to sale and are ready to go. The drastically cheaper clams are sold as dug and that they can be quite dirty. I am always looking for a bargain, and I sometimes regret it. Have any of you had good results using these cheaper clams or should I stay away from them?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I made linguini with clam sauce 3 days ago. I only did like 15 clams. I put them in water for 15 mins so they would release sand and make sure they closed and then put them in a hot sauté pan with a cover and half cup of white wine on medium heat.
Important thing is to take out each clam as they open or you'll end up with overlooked clams ( really important step actually)

I then strained the liquid with cheesecloth to get sand out

There is more to this recipe if your interested but I know you are doing something different. I'm sure you can use water instead of wine
Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
Master Chef

Those inexpensive mahogany clams are back in the grocery flyer!

I am still a little nervous about giving them a try and I have a couple of questions.

First how far in advance can I buy them and keep them in the refrigerator.

Second on this purging business, will it work if I put them in a Pyrex 9x13 baking pan with some salt water and a damp dish towel tossed over them or do they need to be in a deeper container, similar to the ocean.

Tags
clams, cooking, recipe

Cooking clams at home? I would like to steam a dozen clams for myself now that I have seen pac's clambake. I have never cooked a small amount indoors and I could use some tips or a TNT method. Also I am wondering what are the best types of clams, likely to be found in the supermarket. Do small amounts of clams from the grocery store require cleaning or purging similar to the process used in cleaning large amounts? Could I just lay them in a frying pan and add a little water, butter etc and just bring to a boil for a few minutes. I know how to melt the butter and open the beer, it's the rest of the process that confuses me. :ermm::ohmy::lol: Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, B 3 stars 1 reviews