"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In that case "some" have seriously disturbed taste buds. Ditto the people who think fennel tastes of liquorice.

Liquorice and anise are NOT the same flavour at all neither are they related in botanical terms. I like one and not the other.
There is something in fennel, licorice, and anise that tastes similar, though perhaps not identical. It may seem more that way to those of us who dislike that flavour.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Fennel, anise, and licorice all contain anethole.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cooking clams at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There is something in fennel, licorice, and anise that tastes similar, though perhaps not identical. It may seem more that way to those of us who dislike that flavour.

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Fennel, anise, and licorice all contain anethole.

I have to agree. All of these have a "licoricey" flavor to me. And I love licorice, the real deal! I recall the old style Canadian licorice pipes. There are differences in all of these plants, of course.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In that case "some" have seriously disturbed taste buds. Ditto the people who think fennel tastes of liquorice.

Liquorice and anise are NOT the same flavour at all neither are they related in botanical terms. I like one and not the other.
Once, another know-it-all named Julia Child inserted her foot in her mouth regarding others taste buds. She stated that eating spicy foods destroyed ones taste buds. Now I liked Julia and she contributed a tremendous amount of skill and knowledge to the food world. Got any credentials to back up that insult?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to agree with taxlady. They all smell and taste the same to me also. And I don't like either the smell or taste.

Here we go off subject again!

Tags
clams, cooking, recipe

Cooking clams at home? I would like to steam a dozen clams for myself now that I have seen pac's clambake. I have never cooked a small amount indoors and I could use some tips or a TNT method. Also I am wondering what are the best types of clams, likely to be found in the supermarket. Do small amounts of clams from the grocery store require cleaning or purging similar to the process used in cleaning large amounts? Could I just lay them in a frying pan and add a little water, butter etc and just bring to a boil for a few minutes. I know how to melt the butter and open the beer, it's the rest of the process that confuses me. :ermm::ohmy::lol: Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, B 3 stars 1 reviews