"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
My favorite way with salmon is dill. The flavors go so good.

I love to take grouper or halibut and cut into 2" chunks and simmer them slowly (braise) in some Italian dressing. The vinegary taste goes away leaving a lemony tang, and all those beautiful spices.
Yeah, dill goes really well with salmon. It's traditional in Scandinavia. You have inspired an idea. I will add dill to some home made quark (it's a great cream cheese substitute) next time I'm having smoke salmon or gravad laks.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Baked for me. Wrapped in tin foil, placed in oven/pan and cooked according to weight. On opening the foil, off comes (usually) the skin leaving lovely aromatic fish. I find sprinkling about half-teaspoon of oregano lovely for salmon. Also dill although care needs to be taken in not using more than a pinch of dried, or the flavour will overpower.

I only poach salmon if I want to use the milk for sauce.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Salmon steak, salt and pepper, coated with olive oil and piled high with oiled onion slices.
400 F for 15 min on a broiler plate.

Chunky blue cheese dressing on a salad goes well with salmon.

Green Beans
Baked Potato.

mmmm, if I had a salmon steak I'd be posting this in "what's for dinner tonight."
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Head Chef

Fish Pockets
Take a good size pc of parchment paper
lin a line lay down 2 slices of lemon
then a large handful of spinach or swiss chard (remmmber spinach realy cooks down)
then the fish of your fav. I use tiplia, cod, haddock salmon
then on each side of it i put slices of long spears of zucchini and yellow squash
some thin slices of red onion
a sprig of tyme, salt and pepper and a couple daps of butter
a slice of a garlic clove or 2
a squeze of lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil, and a drizz;e of white wine (opt)
the wrap it up folding the seam so steam won't escape
bake at 350 for approx 30-35 min
you can do so much with this, change it up will tomatoes and beans olives to make it mediterian, salmon use dill in
I try to find the to link to where i first saw this.

Here it is - it is down the page some, put she shows step by step with a different combination.
http://caitlinstyle.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wow all these recipes are going to keep me busy most nights of the week thanks!!! Smoked salmon on bagel how simple and bloooody gorge :)

On to the next cooking step for me, i have just bought chicken supreme from local butchers (sausage meat stuffed in to chicken breast wrapped in bacon) coated in herbs and bread crumbs...well

...i'd like to try and cook this myself so are the meats all prepared to cook like this from raw or should i seal n e of them first?? just wasn't 'that' overly impressed by them so i wondered if i made them myself would i need n e thing other than the obvious to make this a totally yummy homemade style dinner??

Help appreciated

Fish
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Smoke salmon I would only lightly warm and serve with cream cheese or sour cream and dill (make into a spread if you like, then serve open faced on some dense rye bread). I'm not a big salmon fan, though.

My favorites are thick steaks of tuna, swordfish, or other mild fish. Rub with olive oil and your favorite seasonings, then grill or skillet sear, then top with a salsa or relish of some sort. Rice pilaf (or couscous), and a green salad.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Wow all these recipes are going to keep me busy most nights of the week thanks!!! Smoked salmon on bagel how simple and bloooody gorge :)

On to the next cooking step for me, i have just bought chicken supreme from local butchers (sausage meat stuffed in to chicken breast wrapped in bacon) coated in herbs and bread crumbs...well

...i'd like to try and cook this myself so are the meats all prepared to cook like this from raw or should i seal n e of them first?? just wasn't 'that' overly impressed by them so i wondered if i made them myself would i need n e thing other than the obvious to make this a totally yummy homemade style dinner??

Help appreciated

Fish
fish, you might want to start another thread for the chicken supreme thread.

btw, that sounds very interesting. chicken stuffed with sausage, wrapped in bacon? wow, that sounds good.

is it boneless chicken breast?

in either case of bone in or out, i wouldn't try to sear this first since it's wrapped in bacon. you will need to roast, pressure cook, slow cook, bbq, deep fry, or pan sautee/braise it, depending on how you want it.

pressure or slow cooking doesn't sound like the way to go. it'll get ooky.

roasting/broiling/grilling at higher temps will render the bacon crisp, and the chicken moist, but you have to be careful not to undercook the sausage stuffing while overcooking the outer layers. start with medium heat, finish high to crisp. use a probe thermometer to check the doneness on the sausage.

my best guess would be to cook it on a rotisserie on medium high heat, thus allowing the bacon wrapper to render it's fat into the chicken, and the internal moisture to spread around.

if you have no access to a rotisserie, i would try roasting it medium high on a rack over quartered root veggies and spuds that were tossed in evoo and seasoned with parsley and thyme.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I like any fresh fish grilled over wood [ATTACH][/ATTACH], I use on occasion smoked salmon bits instead of bacon in Carbonara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	croatia 2010 050.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	8829  
Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Smoked Salmon-Yummy!

Smoked Salmon is FAB on bagels or Melba toasts. I love it on either with sliced cucumbers and @ 1/4C sour cream, 2t fresh dill, 2T shallots & 1T capers mixed in! It's also great in pasta with an alfredo style sauce plus fresh or diced tomatoes and a bit of basil. If you want to make a wonderful appetizer to spread on toasts, baked pitas or crackers mix flaked smoked salmon, enough mayo to bind, minced parsley & minced red onion- all to taste, plus 2 hard boiled eggs. Enjoy!!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh425 View Post
Smoked Salmon is FAB on bagels or Melba toasts. I love it on either with sliced cucumbers and @ 1/4C sour cream, 2t fresh dill, 2T shallots & 1T capers mixed in! It's also great in pasta with an alfredo style sauce plus fresh or diced tomatoes and a bit of basil. If you want to make a wonderful appetizer to spread on toasts, baked pitas or crackers mix flaked smoked salmon, enough mayo to bind, minced parsley & minced red onion- all to taste, plus 2 hard boiled eggs. Enjoy!!
Flaked smoked salmon?

Is that hot smoked?

Tags
None