"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hi all...New poster here but being from waaaaay downeast I had to add my two cents. I love boiled and steamed lobsters but do like a little variety. I'll often boil them as a Southerner would do a crab boil. (maybe not quite so spicy) Since hot flavors hit the tongue slower than the sweet of the lobster they do not interfere but complement each other (IMHO)

When I cook a baked stuffed I'll blanch the lobster for a minute or two to kill it and then remove the claws and legs. Then I'll slice the body as previously described, remove the brain part and reserve the really ugly looking tamale in a bowl. I'll use a rolling pin to remove the meat from the legs and add to the tamale. Then a little minced onion, garlic go in. Add some crushed Ritz crackers to make a nice dry stuffing a put in the caveties. Bake 350 F for about 15-20 min/ lb... check the tail for opacity.

Toss the claws back in the blanching water when the bodies are almost done. Don't bake the claws as it will dry them out.

Hint use a wooden skewer to keep the tail from curling.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:01 AM   #12

my mouth is watering!

Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I originally saw this recipe on a special episode of Julia Child, during PBS Pledge week. I didn't think to write it down. The next day, I was describing the dish to my Sous Chef (think assistant manager of the kitchen). Come to find out, my Sous Chef actually knew the guest Chef that Julia Child had on that episode, and the lobster recipe was in a cookbook that my Sous Chef had!

Needless say, later that day, we went over to his place and I copied it. Sadly to say, I didn't record the name of the cookbook, or the name of the Chef who originated it. If someone else knows, please enlighten me!

Pan Roasted Lobsters with Chervil and Chives
Yields: 2 servings

2 live lobsters, 1 ¾ # each
2 T peanut oil
2 shallots (1 ½ oz), finely diced
¼ c bourbon or Cognac
2 – 3 T dry white wine
6 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
1 T finely chopped chervil
1 T finely chopped fresh chives
kosher or sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat your broiler (or oven) to it’s highest setting, 500 – 550ºF. Position the oven rack in the upper third of the oven.
Quarter the lobsters, removing the tomalley and the roe, if present. Place on a plate, shell side down.
Place the tomalley and roe in a small bowl. With a fork, break them into pieces. Cover and refrigerate until later.
Place a heavy 12” sauté pan over the highest possible heat. Allow the pan to heat 3 – 5 minutes, until extremely hot. Add the oil and heat until it forms a film on the surface of the pan. Slide the lobster into the pan, shell side down, into the hot oil. Using tongs, move the pieces to evenly sear the shells. You will need to hold the pieces with the tongs to do this properly. The claws need to be seared on one side only. When the shells have turned bright red (no more than 2 minutes), turn the pieces over. The oil will also have taken a beautiful red tinge. Add the tomalley and the roe to the pan.
Place the pan in the oven. If using the broiler, cook 2 minutes. If using the oven, cook for 3 minutes. The shells should be slightly browned, even a bit charred in places.
Remove the pan from the oven and return it to the stove at maximum heat. Turn off the oven and put your plates in the oven to warm. This will only take a minute.

WARNING! THE PAN’S HANDLE WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT! Use pot holders and do this quickly.

Add the shallots to the fat in the pan and stir. Add the bourbon and ignite. Shake the pan until the flames die down. Add the wine and let the liquid reduce until it’s au sec (almost dry). Turn the heat to low.
Quickly remove the pieces of lobster and place on the plate, shell side down. Reconstruct the lobster to look like a split lobster. Lean the claws into the center of the lobster.
Return the pan to the heat and add the butter, chervil, and chives. Swirl or stir the butter in the pan to create a creamy sauce with the pan juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use very little salt, as the lobster adds it’s own salt. Spoon the sauce over the pieces and serve at once.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Try poaching your lobsters in a mixture of olive oil, butter, garlic, and fresh herbs. It's a little pricey, but good.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:39 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Re: Cooking with LIVE Maine and Caribbean Lobsters ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry4wn
Hey guys, just found out that you can actually order LIVE Maine lobsters off the internet some place called **** does it, I got 4 LIVE lobsters, any recipes???

sorry, link removed. If you wish to post a link for advertising purposes please contact the administration at email@discusscooking.com
Had to laugh when I read your post. It reminded me of an add I read on the www re LIVE lobsters, delivered to your home. The end of the ad said, Someone must be home to accept delivery. I can picture those little guys now, fighting their way out of the box, & heading toward the pool.

Call the neighbors, bring your nut crackers...we're having a party.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Lobsters on the Lose

Oops, forgot to mention...& fire up the jacuzzi.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i just wanted to thank the first person that looked at those ugly little beasts and thought they might be tasty.
i'm mostly a lobster purist too; i like em boiled, using the same water to boil red skin taters and sweet corn on the cob, with a side of butter and biscuits. my 2 fav lobster shacks are 1.)moby dick's in atlantic highlands new jersey, next to the drawbridge to sandy hook, and 2.)the little shack by the bridge in kennebunk maine.
i also like lobster ravioli in a light marinara or in alio e olio.
sorry, no recipes for either. never made them at home.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:36 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

The only lobster I've ever enjoyed was made by a team from New Zealand that was in the BBQ contest in Memphis. Seemed to be simple prep (which I didn't witness, being too busy drinking at the time) and very luscious. Normally I don't even like lobster, but this was delicious.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #19
Master Chef

My parents are originally from new england, and swear by the simply steam or boil method. Pretty much Amber's. We do not put enough water to cover any but the lowest lobster in the pot, so I guess the bottom lobster is boiled, the ones sitting on it are steamed. Always served with melted butter (no, we don't bother to clarify), which everyone has a bowl of, and saltine crackers. I'm so jealous. One thing I cannot get locally, except at super wal-mart, is live lobster, and at the neighboring town's wal-mart, the seafood dept is so smelly I hesitate to buy anything (the lobsters look pretty pitiful, anyway). Haven't had one in years. Lobster is one item I just don't buy in restaurants -- price to high, way overcooked, and always the body when my favorite part is the claws.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

btw, has anyone seen the trick where you use a rolling pin to remove the meat from the little leggies. just break of the legggies, place on a cutting board next to each other, a few at a time, all facing the same direction. then roll the rolling pin over the legs to push out the the meat like toothpaste from a tube.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None