"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-03-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking with LIVE Maine and Caribbean Lobsters ??

Hey guys, just found out that you can actually order LIVE Maine lobsters off the internet some place called **** does it, I got 4 LIVE lobsters, any recipes???

sorry, link removed. If you wish to post a link for advertising purposes please contact the administration at email@discusscooking.com

Old 07-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I am a purist when it comes to lobster. I live near enough to Maine to go anytime I want. And let me tell you, I go a lot :)

For me the only way to eat lobster is steamed or boiled. As a matter of fact I just steamed some lobsters last night and they were fantastic. You will get a lot of people in my area debating which is better, steaming or boiling. I am convinced that there is absolutely NO difference in the taste and anyone who says different I would challenge to have a blind taste test with one of each and see if you can tell. I bet you can't.

I like to steam them just because there is less water involved so I don't have to fill the huge pot just to pour it down the drain 13 minutes later.

Here is what I do. Fill a large pot with about an inch or so of water. No need to put anything else in. Cover the pot and let the water come to a boil and build up a good head of steam. Once you have the steam going, quickly take the live lobster and put it in the pot and place the cover back on as soon as you can to trap the steam again. Set a timer for 13 minutes. As soon as the timer goes off them they should be done. Take them off the heat and out of the post as soon as you can so they do not get tough. Serve with either melted butter or clarified butter. For a long time I only saw clarified butter being used, but now a lot of chefs are swearing by regular melted butter and I have to agree. While there is nothing wrong with clarified, the regular just tastes better.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 AM   #3
Cook

I grill mine. Just cut them in half, scoop out the tamale if you dislike it, little EVOO pepper, lime and place right on the grill. Cook till its done.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am a purist when it comes to lobster. I live near enough to Maine to go anytime I want. And let me tell you, I go a lot :)

For me the only way to eat lobster is steamed or boiled. As a matter of fact I just steamed some lobsters last night and they were fantastic. You will get a lot of people in my area debating which is better, steaming or boiling. I am convinced that there is absolutely NO difference in the taste and anyone who says different I would challenge to have a blind taste test with one of each and see if you can tell. I bet you can't.
If I accept your challenge, does that mean you're buying?

I have friends and family in Maine, but I've never been there myself.

Honestly, I'll take Lobster any way I can get it.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

If you want to come to Maine and take the challenge then I will happily buy your lobster if you can tell the difference between boiled and steamed. If you can't tell the difference then make sure to bring your wallet
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef

ROFL!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:40 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Gary,

Nice pix, but what do you cover the ice rink with in the summer?

I don't know what the flower you call yellow but a couple of those shots are really spectacular!

Keep shooting. Oh yeah, I know I can't tell the difference but what a nice way to loose.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I live in Maine, where lobster is very popular. I boil mine for twenty minutes for a 1 1/2 lb. lobster. Basic rule of thumb is 15 minutes per pound and 5 minutes for each additional 1/4 or 1/2 pound. Eat it with melted butter. Another popular item is lobster rolls. Use cold lobster meat chopped up, add a small amount of mayo, then butter and toast a hot dog roll (the kind with the sides cut off) fill with lobster and enjoy. My sister in Connecticut likes to make baked stuffed lobster, but Im not sure what she uses in her stuffing.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:53 AM   #9
Head Chef

Gosh, Amber has hit upon our favorite ways to eat lobster: baked stuffed and a lobster roll.

Lived in New England for many years, and could put together a bunch of baked stuffed lobster in about an hour. Great when company is coming at seven PM, and you get out of work at five.

For baked and stuffed, do in the lobster with a knife point stuck in the head. There is a little cross on the head, an indentation, and if you stick the bug there it is dead immediately.

Turn it on its back, split it open with a knife without cutting entirely through.

Wash away the yucky stuff.

Make a stuffing of your choice. Ours contains bread, red peppers, onions, Old Bay seasoning, celery (a tad), whatever else seems appropriate, and crab meat (faux crab will work very nicely here).

Stuff the stuffing into the belly of the beast, bake, and there is nothing better.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I live in Maine, where lobster is very popular. I boil mine for twenty minutes for a 1 1/2 lb. lobster. Basic rule of thumb is 15 minutes per pound and 5 minutes for each additional 1/4 or 1/2 pound. Eat it with melted butter. Another popular item is lobster rolls. Use cold lobster meat chopped up, add a small amount of mayo, then butter and toast a hot dog roll (the kind with the sides cut off) fill with lobster and enjoy. My sister in Connecticut likes to make baked stuffed lobster, but Im not sure what she uses in her stuffing.
hey amber I just started to do a little reserch on maine,have some air miles to use and me and hubby are looking for a nice getway place and maine came to mind got any info for mE? :)

Tags
None