"Coro" Snapper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
I picked up some "Coro" Snapper this morning at the Farmers Market. Got home and googled it, but no luck in finding out what it is. I did find a reference some where that said it might be a White Grunt instead of Snapper.

Any clue
confused.gif

Could be, can you post a pic of the fish/fillet, with size reference? I have heard of Coro Coro, but not Coro Snapper.

Thanks.....gimme a minute or two :) It looks like Tilapia, except the flesh is more red. Filets are about 7-8".

img_555087_0_5f06f0fba3541c12d789f186763b3be7.jpg

Last edited:
I lightly smoked (cherry wood) the 'Coro' snapper for about an hour, along with some leetle taters. The fish was first brushed with lemon juice and then a light hit of Greek seasoning.

img_556013_0_d91773b84318392227d289b6f8d7a6b3.jpg

The 'Coro' was good. I would not go out of my way all over town to find it, but if by chance I see it again I'll definitely buy it. Want to bread it and pan fry it next.

Looks good there, AAB.

I am still unsure, I will ask my monger about it for some more info.

The next week I went back and asked him. He said it was Red Snapper from Honduras, but due to gov't regs he couldn't call it that for some reason or another. I think he was bs'ing me. It was still pretty good and I did buy some more.

I was also told that "Coro" Snapper was an Asian Farm Raised Snapper. However, as I'm on the Gulf, I'll go with the Honduras story for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom