"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Crab Cakes - TNT

Crab Cakes:
1 lb. lump crabmeat
5 shallots, minced
4 oz of saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs
2 tablespoons of minced chive
4 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
1.5 teaspoons of old bay seasoning
1 egg, beaten
6 oz mayonaise
3 oz dijon mustard
black pepper and paprika to taste
Peanut Oil

-Sweat the shallots until they become soft and translucent... do not brown them. set aside to cool

-combine the shallots, chive, parsley, egg, mayo, mustard, and old bay seasoning. mix well until fully combined.

- fold in the lump crabmeat, be sure not to break or shred the lumps.

- fold in the cracker crumbs. season with some black pepper and paprika.

- Mold 3 oz. of the mixture into crab cakes. Use a cookie cutter if you want a good molded shape. i used this one:

- Heat(medium heat) enough peanut oil to fully coat the bottom of a non-stick pan. Once the oil is heated. gently place up to 4 cakes into the oil.

- after 2 minutes, carefully flip the cakes. continue to cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. remove from heat and serve hot topped with the red pepper marmalade. You can tell if the cake is cooked properly if it easily falls apart when cut with a fork.

Red Pepper Marmalade:
1 roasted red pepper(you can buy the jar kind or roast your own), diced
1 tablespoon Capers, minced
1 red onion, minced
1 tablespoon chive, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil

- sweat the red onion. set aside to cool.

-mix the onion, pepper, chive, olive oil and chive in a bowl. refridgerate for at least 30 minutes. serve cold or at room temperature over hot crab cakes.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Mmmmm, this is a great set of recipies! Lucky you to live in a region where you can get
fresh crab meat. I am in Panama (where you think there would be lots of crab) where crab is in fact hard to find. Thank you for you recipies.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Executive Chef

looks great....

you can buy cracker meal (unsalted) ... great for fish cakes and fried fish and chicken strips.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Robo, you must be in a region where such things are available. I am currently cooking in Panama, so such specialty items just aren't available. I do my best by hand. I do a lot of flour breading, as this is what is popular here in the hot tropics.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Senior Cook

glad you like the recipe, hopefully you can get your hands on some crabmeat... ive also made these with pulled shredded chicken, although, not as good
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Jay, I used some plain old canned tuna from Columbia of all places. I followed your recipe to the 't' the first time (I will have to spice it up later - I do that to everything I make or cook). Guess what, it was great! I have to get some cookie tins to really make the cakes stand up tall. But otherwise, I was very happy with your recipe, even with substitute crab chunks. Thanks again.
Marty
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh these do sound goood!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
Jay, I used some plain old canned tuna from Columbia of all places. I followed your recipe to the 't' the first time (I will have to spice it up later - I do that to everything I make or cook). Guess what, it was great! I have to get some cookie tins to really make the cakes stand up tall. But otherwise, I was very happy with your recipe, even with substitute crab chunks. Thanks again.
Marty
your welcome, glad it came out good.... i made a variation using some avocado that someone here suggested and that turned out good as well if you want to spice it up as you say
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Crab cakes

Avocado would be great in this recipe. You are right! But that is not the kind of spice I am thinking about: think habanero, chipotle, tabasco. I must find that new 'hottest pepper in the world' that was recently 'reported' to be in India. hahaha

Tags
None