1 lb. lump crabmeat
5 shallots, minced
4 oz of saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs
2 tablespoons of minced chive
4 tablespoons of minced fresh parsley
1.5 teaspoons of old bay seasoning
1 egg, beaten
6 oz mayonaise
3 oz dijon mustard
black pepper and paprika to taste
-Sweat the shallots until they become soft and translucent... do not brown them. set aside to cool
-combine the shallots, chive, parsley, egg, mayo, mustard, and old bay seasoning. mix well until fully combined.
- fold in the lump crabmeat, be sure not to break or shred the lumps.
- fold in the cracker crumbs. season with some black pepper and paprika.
- Mold 3 oz. of the mixture into crab cakes. Use a cookie cutter if you want a good molded shape. i used this one:
- Heat(medium heat) enough peanut oil to fully coat the bottom of a non-stick pan. Once the oil is heated. gently place up to 4 cakes into the oil.
- after 2 minutes, carefully flip the cakes. continue to cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. remove from heat and serve hot topped with the red pepper marmalade. You can tell if the cake is cooked properly if it easily falls apart when cut with a fork.
Red Pepper Marmalade:
1 roasted red pepper(you can buy the jar kind or roast your own), diced
1 tablespoon Capers, minced
1 red onion, minced
1 tablespoon chive, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
- sweat the red onion. set aside to cool.
-mix the onion, pepper, chive, olive oil and chive in a bowl. refridgerate for at least 30 minutes. serve cold or at room temperature over hot crab cakes.