Crabmeat Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms Help?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Portabello's r great for grilling not so for stuffing (unless they r small),if big take out stem,dont throw away,saute all in white wine butter garlic salt pepper COVERED. cook till half done then cool in fridge ,grind up mush stems,add to crabmeat,and panko,do not add sherry,maybe some parm chz,and butter,cook @375 for 20 to 25 min.
Why are portobellas not great for stuffing? What type of mushroom would you use?
Maybe there's a language problem here... As far as I understand it portebellas are the greatest stuffing mushrooms ever.

you're right about the paper bag gourmet,even our local tesco store supplies brown paper bags on the "select your own" mushroom aisle & for new potatoes for longer storage life.trouble is more & more supermarkets seem to be offering less & less select your own produce & more & more prepack....ermmm if you see what i mean,ummmm more or less:wacko:!
always been disappointed with the flavour of fresh "exotics" like the shitake etc,reckon your commom or garden chestnut mushroom has more flavour at a fraction of the cost.will give the dried shitake a whirl on the basis that the drying will intensify the flavour as with other 'shrooms.
thanks for the tip gg

The store I shop in has paper bags available if you want them. I would say that about 80% of the produce is pick your own and bag them. The produce depatment is quite large as it serves our Latin American, Jewish and Italian communities. It is quite a varied selection. It is laid out quite easily by nationality. I can get arugila, plum tomatoes, plantains, huge real yams, (not sweet potatoes), cabbage and then there are potatoes from Maine in a paper bag with air holes, sweet potatoes, Beefeater tomatoes, Valdalia onions, a plethera of different mushrooms, and other foods that I am familiar with. All laid out for me to pick the best. Sometimes I feel like I am in Italy picking my daily produce. They do have a rather large selection of different mushrooms that are loose and you can pick yur own. Or you can choose to take the prepackage ones. Portabellas are packaged two to a pack. I pass them up and go for the loose ones. They also have an organic section. I usually buy the carrots and the beets with the tops on.

I got lazy and hungry, so I sliced up the mushrooms, sauted in garlic butter and just heated the crabmeat in the juices. Quick, easy and ooooh so good!

Portabello's r great for grilling not so for stuffing (unless they r small),if big take out stem,dont throw away,saute all in white wine butter garlic salt pepper COVERED. cook till half done then cool in fridge ,grind up mush stems,add to crabmeat,and panko,do not add sherry,maybe some parm chz,and butter,cook @375 for 20 to 25 min.

Portabellas are TERRIFIC for stuffing. In fact, because of their size, you can make stuffed Portabellas an entree, especially for vegetarians. Because of their size, all you need do is pre-cook them a little before stuffing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom