Crabs journey from the sea to my kitchen table.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting, the keys are loaded. They passed a 10 year ban on taking queen conch back in the '70's for Florida, particularly in the keys and gulf. They have yet to lift that ban. The conch, like the alligator, have recovered to the point of being a viable fishery if managed properly, IMO. I'm not talking about the welk being sold as conch.

Back in the early 70's they were on the menu of every restaurant or eatery in New Bedford and Fall River here in Mass. Evidently it is a favorite food of the folks from Portugal. Conch Chowder. The ultimate favorite. :angel:

That's interesting, the keys are loaded. They passed a 10 year ban on taking queen conch back in the '70's for Florida, particularly in the keys and gulf. They have yet to lift that ban. The conch, like the alligator, have recovered to the point of being a viable fishery if managed properly, IMO. I'm not talking about the welk being sold as conch.

Back in the early 70's they were on the menu of every restaurant or eatery in New Bedford and Fall River here in Mass. Evidently it is a favorite food of the folks from Portugal. Conch Chowder. The ultimate favorite. :angel:
only eaten conch a couple of times(never see it this side of the pond)thought it was deelish:yum:.had it made into fritters at this place when bolas & i were visiting nico in miami.man,look at that sky...could do with a piece of that too!!

Attachments

• 2009_0202yorkshiredales0002.jpg
    2009_0202yorkshiredales0002.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I worked with a Jamaican woman who told me that conch was delicious, but that when she lived in Jamaica, no one would admit to eating it. It was free, since you could just go get them in the ocean, so they were "poor people food".

I guess the Caribbean lobster was also a poor persons food until a rich person tried it out and liked it. :)

Go to Penn Dutch in Hollywood or Margate and it is only $12.00 a pound. While your there pickup some royal red shrimp, you won't be sorry!;)

You do mean Florida? I am originally from Miami. $12.00 a pound for cleaned conch sounds like a very good deal. But the gas to drive there would make any savings moot.....LOL

Royal Red shrimp? I have been buying frozen red shrimp up here. Wild caught in S. America. Price is very good and shrimp very big and tasty. Is the any correlation Craig?
I bought a 2 lb bag of 12-16 count for $15.00. Thats a very good price here. Very good.

only eaten conch a couple of times(never see it this side of the pond)thought it was deelish:yum:.had it made into fritters at this place when bolas & i were visiting nico in miami.man,look at that sky...could do with a piece of that too!!

I grew up in Miami and even back then, it seemed few people other than the ethnic Cuban and others actually appreciated conch meat.
I also spent much time in Key West.
Here is where my love for conch originates.

There was an old shack in Key West on White street where a old black man sold conch fritters and bouyito's (spell is wrong for sure) (boy-eat-toes) is how its pronounced.
They were the best. Craig. Are yo familiar with (boy-eat-toes)?

Ground, shelled black eyed peas, whipped up with garlic, hot peppers and seasonings. then teaspoon full fritters are dropped into hot oil. Served with hot sauce and cold beer.

I guess the Caribbean lobster was also a poor persons food until a rich person tried it out and liked it. :)
I think "poor people food" is often the stuff easily available to hunt or gather.

When I lived in La Macaza, Quebec, my Scottish husband was really excited that he had managed to shoot a grouse. Grouse is quite the "posh" fowl in GB, with rich Englishmen flying to Scotland on the first day of hunting season.

It was quite tasty. But, the locals couldn't believe we admitted to eating it. :ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom