Crabs journey from the sea to my kitchen table.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrevorH

Assistant Cook
I picked up a crabbing hobby last year while fishing. I asked a few crabbers on their gear and how they did it. 1 month later, I compiled everything I needed to go crabbing.

Ever since going crabbing, I made many dishes using crabs. Infact im quite bored of eating them now. So i took out my camera and went crazy with pictures.

Here is the process of how crabs get into my kitchen.

catch-1.jpg

They get pulled from cages. This catch went very well. Undersized ones are thrown back. any crabs measuring above 6.5 inches across the shell are keepers. I use a plastic measuring tool. pic below.

thhdfh.jpg

Once caught, they are cleaned and steamed and peeled. I made crab cakes out of this batch caught a month ago.

Here is the finished product.

IMG_0036.jpg

Portabella mushrooms were on sale at the grocery store so i bought some and made crab stuffed mushrooms. sooo good.

IMG_0019.jpg

There were more crab mixture left so I made crab cakes out of them. Also sooo good. most fiine dine restaurants put in a ratio of 50 percent crackers to 50percent crab meat. I used 20% crackers to 80 % crab meat.

20130912_204613.jpg

I couldnt over indulge on crabs alone so I took out some spaghetti and made crab pasta. Also very delicious.

Recipes are found at Crab Recipes | Mr. Dungeness Crabber

If links are not allowed, could a mod please remove it?

thanks
=)

Nice pics. It must be a blast.
I went to your (?) site to look over your recipes, but can only find the one dip recipe. Where are the rest of them?

Nice pics. It must be a blast.
I went to your (?) site to look over your recipes, but can only find the one dip recipe. Where are the rest of them?

Thats odd. I put up a recipe category on the home page. I only have 3 recipes up atm and i will be adding more in the months to come.

It should say crab recipes under the title on the home page. Can u see it?

There should be the 4 recipes I made with crabs. =)

Thats odd. I put up a recipe category on the home page. I only have 3 recipes up atm and i will be adding more in the months to come.

It should say crab recipes under the title on the home page. Can u see it?

There should be the 4 recipes I made with crabs. =)

Ah, OK.
If I click on the link in your sig I see the other recipes. The link in your OP is locked into the dip recipe.

Well Trevor .. first of all welcome to DC.

Secondly .. I am soooooooooooooooo jealous !!! We used to live just south of Astoria and we crabbed almost daily. I soooooooo miss the fresh crab and clams and fish.

Have you ever tried using a Crabhawk?
img_1304599_0_284f97dbedae94db95f36831ffbe51c3.jpg

We saw some people using these and were pretty impressed with how well they were doing.

We went and got 2 and could not believe how much fun it was and how productive they were.

We ended up leaving our crab pots at home and exclusively used the crabhawks.

We picked ours up at Fred Meyer and if I remember right we paid right around $15.00 for them.

Anyway .. nice looking catch and great looking crabcakes !!

I ain't been crabbing in many years. Used to take my kids down to Lynnhaven pier and we would crab all night long. Gotta do that again soon.
MrsLMB, I am gonna see about finding one or two of them Crab Hawks. Looks like a great and fun way to crab!

When my husband was shrimping in Texas, when they haul back the bag there are also crabs in it along with the shrimp and other critters. The crabs and other critters got thrown overboard. They were blue crabs. Some of them were huge. He would always bring home about 10 pounds of shrimp. So one day I asked him to bring home some of the crabs. He did. All the huge ones! Into the pot they went. A lot of work getting the meat out, but ooooh soooo good. A bowl of melted butter, a pile of FF and we ate until our fill. He also would bring home any and all seahorses that got caught. They hung all across my curtain rods. And I also had the dubious job of keeping a pail of bleach to drop the large conch shells in that still had the animal inside. Once the animal was dead, my son The Pirate would sell the shell to tourists. But I still hanker after those crabs. Can't eat them anymore. Severe life threatening allergy. :angel:

I ain't been crabbing in many years. Used to take my kids down to Lynnhaven pier and we would crab all night long. Gotta do that again soon.
MrsLMB, I am gonna see about finding one or two of them Crab Hawks. Looks like a great and fun way to crab!

It is a super fun way to catch crab. We seldom had any "down" time.

For bait we used chicken. The Dungies seemed to prefer dark meat to the white meat for some reason. So we would stick a leg on there and it would last quite a long time.

Just a piece of advice - use strong test line - at least 20# and a heavy duty pole. We would sometimes pull up the trap with 10 crab hanging in there.

When they are in the trap munching on the bait you will see the tip of your rod dip and you will feel it - much like a big fish.

Wait until it's constant, pull hard and whatever you do, do NOT drop the tip of your rod while you are reeling. Lowering the tip of your rod will let the trap open and you will lose your catch :(

It's a blast and you will get a good workout as well as good food at the same time !

These were caught in our CrabHawk traps:

img_1304715_0_8d249330d9ebc2907be3038e0104fd0c.jpg

You will have a blast "fishing" for crab Hoot .. hope you catch a bunch of them !!

When my husband was shrimping in Texas, when they haul back the bag there are also crabs in it along with the shrimp and other critters. The crabs and other critters got thrown overboard. They were blue crabs. Some of them were huge. He would always bring home about 10 pounds of shrimp. So one day I asked him to bring home some of the crabs. He did. All the huge ones! Into the pot they went. A lot of work getting the meat out, but ooooh soooo good. A bowl of melted butter, a pile of FF and we ate until our fill. He also would bring home any and all seahorses that got caught. They hung all across my curtain rods. And I also had the dubious job of keeping a pail of bleach to drop the large conch shells in that still had the animal inside. Once the animal was dead, my son The Pirate would sell the shell to tourists. But I still hanker after those crabs. Can't eat them anymore. Severe life threatening allergy. :angel:

Just like picking crawfish, if you have enough iced down beer on hand, picking crab isn't hard at all. I can even manage to pick some for future use.;)

Just like picking crawfish, if you have enough iced down beer on hand, picking crab isn't hard at all. I can even manage to pick some for future use.;)

My first mistake that day was dumping them out on newspaper on the table and thinking I would sit down and just pick, pick, pick. My newborn infant had other ideas of how I should be spending my day. My hands got a good washing about every five minutes. Took three times as long as it should have. But it was worth it! :angel:

And I also had the dubious job of keeping a pail of bleach to drop the large conch shells in that still had the animal inside. Once the animal was dead, my son The Pirate would sell the shell to tourists. :angel:

You could have tripled the money you got for the conch shells by selling the conch meat instead.
Its close to $20 a pound in the seafood market. But its been cleaned and ready to use.

Conch is excellent fare. I make conch fritters and it is a great addition to any type serveche. (hope I spelled that right)

I worked with a Jamaican woman who told me that conch was delicious, but that when she lived in Jamaica, no one would admit to eating it. It was free, since you could just go get them in the ocean, so they were "poor people food".

You could have tripled the money you got for the conch shells by selling the conch meat instead.
Its close to $20 a pound in the seafood market. But its been cleaned and ready to use.

Conch is excellent fare. I make conch fritters and it is a great addition to any type serveche. (hope I spelled that right)

Go to Penn Dutch in Hollywood or Margate and it is only $12.00 a pound. While your there pickup some royal red shrimp, you won't be sorry!;)

I worked with a Jamaican woman who told me that conch was delicious, but that when she lived in Jamaica, no one would admit to eating it. It was free, since you could just go get them in the ocean, so they were "poor people food".

Like lobster was in the early 1900's. :angel:

Sadly, conch is overfished. It IS delicious, and makes awesome ceviche. It also has a season when it's supposed to be harvested, at least in Mexico, but there's a lot of poaching going on (and not just in wine and butter.)

It's on Seafood Watch's Avoid list.

That's interesting, the keys are loaded. They passed a 10 year ban on taking queen conch back in the '70's for Florida, particularly in the keys and gulf. They have yet to lift that ban. The conch, like the alligator, have recovered to the point of being a viable fishery if managed properly, IMO. I'm not talking about the welk being sold as conch.

That's interesting, the keys are loaded. They passed a 10 year ban on taking queen conch back in the '70's for Florida, particularly in the keys and gulf. They have yet to lift that ban. The conch, like the alligator, have recovered to the point of being a viable fishery if managed properly, IMO. I'm not talking about the welk being sold as conch.

It's still banned, right? So do you need a license to harvest it now? Where is the conch meat coming from?

We visited a conch farm last time we were in the Keys, apparently they were trying to get things going, but the guy said they weren't sure farming would work.

It's still banned, right? So do you need a license to harvest it now? Where is the conch meat coming from?

We visited a conch farm last time we were in the Keys, apparently they were trying to get things going, but the guy said they weren't sure farming would work.

Conch are roamers. I can imagine them not being viable as a "farmed" product. Oysters, mussels and clams are sedentary. Seeding them is easy. You might say they are perfect for "wild farming" and great as a replenishable resource. Conch and scallops, not so much. I did some work back in the early '90's for a conch and lobster company out of Kingston, Jamaica. Like many other seafood products, the Japanese were their main customers. At that time, the Jamaicans had depleted their conch and lobster so bad that they were working 40 miles off their coast. Perfect example of third world countries that have no concept of managing natural resources, thinking it is a never ending supply. I saw what they collected, lobster wise for the Japanese market. They took everything, undersized and females with eggs. They didn't care as long as they made money right now. Kinda like the Chinese, they send us poison crap that kills our pets and kids and we deplete/poach our wildlife to suit their needs.

The US ban is still in effect. Just like the "temporary" income tax, it hasen't been lifted.

crab is probably my favourite seafood.get beautiful orkney brown crab from my local tesco for £5/$7 to $8 each.they usually weigh in at about 0.5 kilo/1-1.5lbs.the monster in the griddle pan weighed in at 1.5k/over 3lbs...crack on....bargain!

Attachments

• ORKNEY CRAB 001.JPG
    ORKNEY CRAB 001.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 170
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 174
I picked up a crabbing hobby last year while fishing. I asked a few crabbers on their gear and how they did it. 1 month later, I compiled everything I needed to go crabbing.

Ever since going crabbing, I made many dishes using crabs. Infact im quite bored of eating them now. So i took out my camera and went crazy with pictures.
now that's what i call a day out trevor..great pics/food & thanks for reminding me about crab & pasta.not made it for ages...i make it with linguine:yum:!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom