Crawfish how to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Uncle Bob wrote: Lobsters in the 1-3 oz size are called "Crawfish"

This is embarasing for me, living so close to Louisiana, but..

How do you eat these crazy things?

pull off the head and slurp on that (good)!

But the tail is hard shelled..

I can use two hands and sort of split it open for a wonderful little piece of meat, but it's sort of slow going..

One big guy said squeeze the tail with your hand, but y'all must have stronger thumbs than me!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx

Remove the tail from the head/body....A twisting motion seems to work well...Remove the first one or two segments of shell on the tail...Gently pull on the tail meat while pinching/squeezing the meat out of the shell with the other hand --- Or better still....remove a couple of segments of shell...put the meat in your teeth and gently pull while pinching the tail.....

Louisiana Crawfish Company

You do not need to remove all of the segments as the picture demonstrates....Only one or two...maybe three until you get the hang of it......HTH

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

PS......Only eat those crawfish with tightly curled tails after cooking...If the tail hangs straight out...discard it. It was dead when it was cooked...More often than not the meat will/could have spoiled, possibly causing food poisoning!!!

Uncle Bob has good advice. I could show you, but I'm not sure I could explain it. This reminds me of the first time I tried it. It was a crawfish and beer party in a warehouse. Directly opposite of me was an acquaintence from Los Angeles. I looked at others to try to figure out what to do. Mostly I fumbled around. The man from L.A., in the meantime, watched me - his big mistake! Neither of us got much to eat, but we drank our share of beer and laughed a lot at our awkwardness. :)

Growing up, my brother had a pet crawfish. He rescued him from the neighborhood kids who were swinging it by a string in the air. He put it in a fish aquarium, and it lived for quite a while that way, happy.

I'd never be able to eat one, not to this day. Not unless it was snuck in my dish...but gosh I bet they taste good. :D

PS......Only eat those crawfish with tightly curled tails after cooking...If the tail hangs straight out...discard it. It was dead when it was cooked...More often than not the meat will/could have spoiled, possibly causing food poisoning!!!

Oh, that's a bit of good info to have. The buffet we love to go to always has cooked crawfish on it, and I always wondered why some tails were curled and others weren't.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom