"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
Master Chef
Ate lunch at Legal's the other day and they are having some Shrimpapalooza or something.

The placemats have a whole column devoted to "The Difference Between Shrimp and Prawns." Legal's claims that they are actually different critters, though closely related. But I believe they may have been referring to Dublin Bay Prawns as Michael explained.

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Testing to see if this works...

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Just recently "fresh water prawns" have been showing up in the markets in places of the Northwest. When I asked where they came from, I was told India. I bought some, they were much cheaper than the normal ones, and I can see why. they had no flavor.

When I told frriends from the South about this, they said there are all kinds of fresh water ponds where they are grown in the South and have fantastic flavor.
jnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Of course everyone's answer is correct, but let me toss in the following...

While they are generally the same animal... Shrimp are generally smaller, Prawns generally larger, BUT the main difference is where they were caught and where they are advertised... it has been my experience thet the west coast restaurants called 'em prawns, and the Gulf Coast/East coast call them shrimp.
FWIW a lot of the shrimp come from the Gulf of Mexico and a lot of the prawns from the left coast...
When I lived in Florida I had shrimp traps behind my house... had to empty the darn things in the morning there were so many... THOSE were good shrimp although they were the size of Prawns..
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by buckytom
order decapoda.
this order includes several multi-legged crustacea like crabs, lobsters, shrimps/prawns, crayfish, and woodlice.
Woodlice are order isopoda, but on this forum I don't think it matters much. ;)

Having a zoological background, I'd tend to agree with the links Michael posted. Also, it illustrates the confusion that common names can cause. Look at this article on the genus Penaeus (and surrounding family), for example. The common names column is a mishmash of prawns and shrimp, with some species named as both.

So, from a non-scientific POV, there's not much difference between prawns and shrimp - especially when it's the same animal. :D
Vermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
to cook or not to cook shrimp

Hello Chopstix,
Correctly as many have said, there is no real difference between prawn & shrimp. Scientifically only. Prawn have 3 sets of tiny pincers on there front sets, shrimp only have 2 sets of pincers. Also prawn shell segments overlap like roof tiles, segment 1 overlaps the 2nd, this then overlaps the 3rd. Shrimps 2nd segment overlaps both 1st & 3rd, like a saddle over the two.
Regarding the cooking and more shriveling, all shrimp can be cooked but beware - the "DEEP SEA" (Solenocera spp - latin name)variety are a very soft shrimp and are not good for cooking because they do loose a lot. These tend to be from India, better for cooking are Pakistan, Bangladesh (Kari kadi)origin. Latin name - parapenaeopsis stylifera. Best regards.
kingprawn6324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Now I am really confused....I have peeled (so I cant check) green shrimp in my freezer which my local fish shop sold to me as green prawns....I guess they don't know the difference either!
Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Master Chef
While there may be some scant/technical zoological difference, that's really not the way people cook & eat - unlike gardening, where tiny differences & latin names are more important.

The only difference I've ever seen is completely geographical - I've never ever seen "prawns" offered in any seafood market or restaurant here in VA or in NY - they're always called shrimp, heads on or off, & graded by size. My friend in the UK, however, has the exact opposite - everything there is called a "prawn", graded by size, never a shrimp.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #19
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Though the size difference and locality are the main foundation for the difference, it is funny that even the locality has inconsistancies.

Australia: Prawn=BIG
England:Prawn=Small( to U.S. salad shrimp)
Asia: Prawn=A U.S. regular ol shrimp

you can see where this is going....I guess it all depends on who/what/wher you are. And of course there are the imatesticle scientific diferences.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
Head Chef
Call 'em prawns.... call 'em shrimp.... by whatever name I still love to eat 'em. With pasta, with rice, chilled with cocktail sauce, seasoned and grilled .... whatever. They are still one of the best seafood products on the planet...

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote