"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
Master Chef

Sizz, this is the first dinner I ever made for DH when we were dating. He still loves it!

Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp and basil

¼ c light olive oil
1 (8 oz) pkg angel hair pasta
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 (28 oz) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
½ c dry white wine
¼ c chopped parsley
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente; drain. To keep pasta from sticking together, rinse it quickly with cold water. (I don’t do this; I just wait and cook pasta at the end, while sauce cooks.)

Heat remaining olive oil in a 10” skillet. Cook garlic over medium heat, stirring constantly until tender, about 1minute. Do not let the garlic burn. Add shrimp, and continue stirring until pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.

Stir tomatoes, wine, parsley, and basil into the skillet. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, 8-12 minutes. Return shrimp to the skillet and continue cooking until the shrimp are heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve the shrimp mixture over the pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:39 AM   #12
Master Chef

PA.........sounds delicious. I'm kind of reluctant to make the dish with wine. I tried a copy kat version of Shrimp Scampi (Red Lobster) and it included wine.....not a whole lot but it overpowered the recipe I thought. What about heavy cream instead. Or Chicken Broth or Something?

Old 02-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #13
Master Chef

You could try chicken broth, I guess, but it will affect the taste. This recipe doesn't have a "winey" taste to it at all. Once it's cooked for the 8-12 minutes, it's mostly cooked down and there's just a nice, full-bodied flavor to the dish. I don't find that any one flavor overpowers another.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

K...........I'll def. give it a try.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Haven't tried this one yet. Saved it a long time ago, supposedly from a Forrest Gump? cookbook I downloaded on line. Even if it just makes you smile, see what you think.

Mama's Shrimp Spaghetti
Recipe By: Forrest Gump
Serving Size:6
4 1/2 c water
1 1/2 lbs unpeeled med fresh shrimp
1/2 pkg vermicelli or thin spaghetti - (7-oz pkg)
1/3 c butter or margarine
1/3 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c chicken broth
2/3 c whipping cream
3/4 c shredded Swiss cheese - (3 oz)
2 1/2 tbl dry sherry
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly-ground white pepper
2 tbl grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbl slivered almonds

Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, & cook 3 to 5 min or until shrimp turn pink. Drain well; rinse w cold water. Chill. Peel & devein shrimp; set aside. Cook vermicelli according to dirs; drain.

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; stir in flour. Cook 1 min, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth & cream; cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in Swiss cheese, sherry, salt, & pepper. Remove from heat; stir in shrimp & vermicelli.

Spoon mixture into a greased 2-qt casserole; sprinkle w Parmesan cheese & almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20 min or until heated. Broil 5 1/2" from heat (w electric oven door partially opened) 6 min or until browned.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Coconut Curried Shrimp
1 lb spaghetti
2 tbl butter
2 onions -- chopped
2 garlic cloves -- minced
15 oz coconut milk -- canned
4 tsp curry powder
2 tbl lime juice
2 tbl honey
1 lb frozen shrimp -- thawed, fully cooked
2 tbl chopped fresh basil

Prepare spaghetti accord to pkg; drain. Meanwhile, melt butter in lg skillet over med heat. Add onions & garlic, & saut until tender. Add coconut milk, curry powder, lime juice, & honey; bring to a boil. Add shrimp & stir until heated through. Pour over spaghetti & sprinkle w chopped basil.
Creamy Shrimp Curry
Forrest Gump - Serving Size 6
6 c water
2 lbs unpeeled medium-size fresh shrimp
1/2 c minced onion
1/2 c butter or margarine -- melted
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tbl curry powder
1 can ready to serve chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz)
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp lemon juice
Hot cooked rice
Assorted Condiments

Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, & cook 3 to 5 min or until shrimp turn pink. Drain well; rinse w cold water. Peel & devein shrimp; set aside.

Cook onion in butter in a lg skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Reduce heat to low; add flour & curry powder, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 min, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth & milk; cook over med heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened.

Stir in sugar, salt, ginger, & lemon juice. Add shrimp, & cook until heated. Serve shrimp over rice w several of the following condiments; peanuts, sliced green onions, raisins, toasted coconut, & bacon pieces.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #17
Head Chef

Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto Cream Sauce

Pesto
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 1/2 t. garlic, minced
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/8 t. ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive oil

Shrimp
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T. olive oil

Pesto Cream Sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white wine
3 T. prepared Pesto
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. cold water
salt and pepper to taste

Prepare Pesto. Wash cilantro and remove stems. In blender or processor chop pumpkin seeds. Add cilantro, garlic, pepper and parmesan. Blend until smooth and add the oil slowly to mixture. Set aside. For shrimp, heat 2 T. oil and saute shrimp until pink. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with the white wine. Add the 3 T. pesto and the heavy cream. Mix together the cold water and cornstarch until blended. If cream and pesto are heated thoroughly add a small amount of the cornstarch mixture. Stir until thickened, add slowly to get desired consistency. You may not need entire amount. Add the shrimp back to the sauce and warm thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over noodles.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:55 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Sizz, this is the first dinner I ever made for DH when we were dating. He still loves it!

Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp and basil

c light olive oil
1 (8 oz) pkg angel hair pasta
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 (28 oz) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
c dry white wine
c chopped parsley
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente; drain. To keep pasta from sticking together, rinse it quickly with cold water. (I don't do this; I just wait and cook pasta at the end, while sauce cooks.)

Heat remaining olive oil in a 10" skillet. Cook garlic over medium heat, stirring constantly until tender, about 1minute. Do not let the garlic burn. Add shrimp, and continue stirring until pink, about 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp from the skillet and set aside.

Stir tomatoes, wine, parsley, and basil into the skillet. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, 8-12 minutes. Return shrimp to the skillet and continue cooking until the shrimp are heated through, 2-3 minutes. Serve the shrimp mixture over the pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.
PA, this recipe sounds awesome. copying and pasting!! Thanks, SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
Everymom

OK then. I am now totally craving Shrimp Pasta dishes and it is 8:20 in the morning. Thanks for posting all of these you guys, they look amazing.

Tags
None