"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-26-2004, 08:48 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i love sushi, and sashimi. been eating it about once a week for the past 15 years or so. i've tried just about every type of sushi there is, even monkfish liver and baby eels, but i've never had fugu (sp?). guess i'll have to go to japan to have it one day. i am an adventurous eater by nature, so sushi is par for the course. i've never made it at home before, but a korean market near me started selling sushi grade tuna, salmon, octopus, and eel, so i'll have to try to make it sometime.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
Im with MJ.....It was a way to make sure you had the burger seasoned right before you cooked it! Was never a health matter than and it probably isnt more so now, people just more of a fuss over raw meat then before.

As for Sushi...I'm sure he tastes great!!!! umm...oops...k back to topic....I've never tried it....it looks slimy and icky.....um no dont think it's for me.....

Old 08-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I have eatin my share of raw meat. Lots of Kibbee made with raw lamb(married an arabic woman). My dad started me eating raw ground round with salt,pepper,and a thick slice of burmuda onion when I was a kid. Not bad but I won't touch it anymore. I use cooked seafood on my sushi. I won't eat raw.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Raw beef is fairly common to eat. Granted it's usually not ground beef however, which is the most dangerous to eat raw because of cross contamination issues. I'm suprised more people on here haven't had raw beef before either as steak tartare, or as carpaccio.

As far as raw seafood on sushi, unless you get the really fresh, high quality stuff, you're not going to get the best tasting experience. Most people opt for the really bright red tuna, which is either big eye or yellowfin. However, neither of those two really express the true quality and flavor of good tuna. Next time you go to a quality sushi bar, order either hamachi (yellowTAIL) or bluefin (kuromaguro---"koo-roh ma-goo-roh"---in Japanese) tuna, and ask for the "toro" or the belly part. That's something everyone should try at least once.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I try to be open to new cuisines, but the only sushi I've tried was some from the deli, and if that was representative of what it tastes like then I
feel just like MJ's little emoticon! So vinegary, sour! YUK.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 PM   #16
Executive Chef

If I lived on the coastline and could get fish fresh out of the water I would consider eating it raw.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Getting sushi at a deli is like getting Chinese food from and Italian restaurant. Give sushi another chance, but try it from a sushi restaurant. Trust me, it will make a huge difference.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

c'mon, i can't believe no one said this yet. if you like sushi like i like sushi, oh, oooohhh, oohh.. favs are maguro, hotategai, ebi, unagi, sake, masago, tobiko, kani, tako, and hamachi. all of the standard stuff in a deluxe platter. i won't eat ika and ikura; reminds me too much of the baits i use when i go fishing.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #19
Cook

i love sushi....i go to the all you can eat bar at least twice a month....its worth it for 21.00 an hour...i basically tried everything about sushi, and tried it 3times if i didnt like it the first time
fng_3887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
MJ - sushi does not have a "fishy" taste at all (well most - mackeral is something I cannot eat) - IMHO cooked fish is fishy!!!! Start out with just a plain tuna roll or even a spicy tuna roll - I too love raw meat as in tartare or carpaccio. You might be surprised at the very UNfishy taste of most fish. Tuna tartare (the recipe Bubba Gourmet posted here is AWESOME-I think he called it carpaccio but it was actually chopped).

But you can always order rolls with cooked ingredients in them to start out with.

GB - remember, don't force your wife to "like" sushi - once she does your bill will double

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None