"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-30-2004, 06:08 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Moonlight, there are other cooked dishes at the better sushi places. The chefs always have some kind of special dish that's baked or broiled in some kind of sauce. Lots of times, they have a cooked scallop dish. All you have to do is ask. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just be honest with the sushi chef and they will figure something out for you.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:21 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
All you have to do is ask. Don't be so hard on yourself. Just be honest with the sushi chef and they will figure something out for you.
This is great advice! The sushi chef is a professional and can accommodate your needs and likes/dislikes. Sit at the bar and talk with him. Tell him what you do not like about sushi and ask him to make you something based on what you just told him. You will be surprised at what they might come up with.

kitchenelf, I am not sure, but I think the dish you couldn't remember the name of might be called chirachi (sorry for the spelling!)

The one thing I hate about sushi is the price. I could easily eat a couple hundred dollars worth in one sitting if money was no object. Well once I win the lottery that is just what I will do :)

Old 08-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I think kitchenelf was referring to "nigiri" which is the type of sushi made into the rectangles of rice. if the rice has a piece of nori (seaweed) wrapped around it, it is called "gunkan". anytype of rolled sushi is called "maki"
Old 09-01-2004, 01:21 AM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
(giving secret hand shake to sushi lovers) If I could taste love.... it would be sushi. If I could eat a beautiful sunset.... it would taste like a Spicy Cruncy Roll. :roll: If sushi were a woman I would marry it!!!!
If a tuna / avacado roll with a touch of wasabi and mayo with a little cilantro were running for president I would vote for it! How do I love thee sushi???!!! Let me eat the ways!!!!!!
Yes my friends.... sushi is like looking at a hot redhead with freckles..... I could never have too much. And if I could combine the 2, I know that God really REALLY loves me.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:03 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Deadly Sushi, I wish you would stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel

I am actually right there with you. Sushi has got to be one of the most perfect food forms I have ever encountered. I really think I am addicted to it. Is there a sushi anonymous that I could join?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #36
Executive Chef

[quote="GB"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
The one thing I hate about sushi is the price. I could easily eat a couple hundred dollars worth in one sitting if money was no object. Well once I win the lottery that is just what I will do :)
Learn to make your own. I bought a rice cooker to make the rice. I use a cookie cutter to form my rice. No rolling for me......or just toss some rice in a bowl and top with whatever floats your boat. I don't know the name for this type of sushi.......but it works for me.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We make ours at home too - I don't use a rice cooker and I use the mat to make the maki rolls. It's really easy.

All you need is:

1 rolling mat
1 rice paddle (really big, flat end to fold rice over to help cool it)
plastic wrap (to wrap your rolling mat in so rice doesn't stick to it)
non-metalic bowl to cool rice in (glass or ceramic is what you want)
and don't use a metal spoon on the rice either

Then of course you need soy sauce, sushi rice, rice vinegar, sugar, and whatever ingredients you want to put in the rolls. We usually use eel, sashimi grade tuna, and salmon. I freeze the salmon for usually 24-72 hours to kill anything that may be living in MY salmon! LOL

Then we add avocado, cucumber, cream cheese, masago, chives, spring onions, cilantro (really good with the salmon roll) to the rolls as needed.

We have even made a strawberry and cream cheese roll - it was even good dipped in light soy sauce :oops:

I just follow the directions exactly as stated for the sushi rice and then eat to my heart's content.

Next time you go eat sushi sit where you can observe - you will learn a lot. Pay particular attention to how he "leads" the rice to the edges of the nori and which side he puts it on. Ask questions - they will be glad to help you.

The spicy sauce is mayo, garlic chili paste or Schiracha, a little masago, and some ground sesame seeds (I'm sure places make it different from each other but the first 2 ingredients are the most important and usually all that we use.)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Ditto Elf! :D
Old 09-01-2004, 10:38 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been a fan of sushi for a long time.

Not long ago, S.O. wanted to make it at home so now we have miso or hot and sour soup and sushi for dinner whenever we want.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:33 AM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

I have made sushi at home before (here are my pictures from that attempt http://public.fotki.com/gblock/page_2/food/), but it was no where as good as what I get in a good sushi restaurant. I enjoyed making it, but it did not take care of my craving. Also I do not have a good fish market near me that is open when I need it to be and so I have have no way of getting sushi quality fish which is what I really crave. One of the things I like about going to the restaurant is the variety. I can have 10 or 12 different types of fish. If I were to buy that much to make at home I would be broke.

Tags
None