Do you like Sushi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
It seems as if sushi is one of those love it or hate it sort of things. It was difficult for me to initially try it as I had a hard time getting over the whole raw fish thing, but boy am I glad I gave it a shot. Sushi is now my favorite food by far.

My wife has tasted mine on a few occasions, but never more then just a very very small piece. She claims that the pieces are too big for her to fit in her mouth and you cannot easily cut them without making a mess. I just think that she is squeamish about raw fish.

Do you like sushi? did it take you a while to get up the nerve to try it or are you a more adventurous eater by nature?

I like love sushi. I make my own sticky rice and place it in a bowl then top it with whatever I want....served with pickled ginger,soy sauce,and wasabi.

I adore sushi, I was introduced to it when I was young, so never had to overcome the raw fish thing.

I always swore I would never even try sushi. Finally though, after reading so many posts here about it, I decided to try it a couple months ago. My husband (who, right up until it came, said he wouldn't try it) even tried some. I really liked it. So thanks everyone for giving me the guts to try it! lol

:) Barbara

P.S. My husband said it wasn't his favorite, but that it was ok. :)

Raw fish?
pukea.GIF
YEEEUUUUCK. Thats a guaranteed puker for me.
I cant even eat COOKED fish. I have eaten raw ground beef tho. Not bad if you season it.

I never in a million years would have eaten raw meat. I used to think the same thing about raw fish. Now that I have tried and fallen in love with sushi, I can't wait for an opportunity to try raw meat :D

i love sushi, and sashimi. been eating it about once a week for the past 15 years or so. i've tried just about every type of sushi there is, even monkfish liver and baby eels, but i've never had fugu (sp?). guess i'll have to go to japan to have it one day. i am an adventurous eater by nature, so sushi is par for the course. i've never made it at home before, but a korean market near me started selling sushi grade tuna, salmon, octopus, and eel, so i'll have to try to make it sometime.

Im with MJ.....It was a way to make sure you had the burger seasoned right before you cooked it! Was never a health matter than and it probably isnt more so now, people just more of a fuss over raw meat then before.

As for Sushi...I'm sure he tastes great!!!! umm...oops...k back to topic....I've never tried it....it looks slimy and icky.....um no dont think it's for me.....

I have eatin my share of raw meat. Lots of Kibbee made with raw lamb(married an arabic woman). My dad started me eating raw ground round with salt,pepper,and a thick slice of burmuda onion when I was a kid. Not bad but I won't touch it anymore. I use cooked seafood on my sushi. I won't eat raw.

Raw beef is fairly common to eat. Granted it's usually not ground beef however, which is the most dangerous to eat raw because of cross contamination issues. I'm suprised more people on here haven't had raw beef before either as steak tartare, or as carpaccio.

As far as raw seafood on sushi, unless you get the really fresh, high quality stuff, you're not going to get the best tasting experience. Most people opt for the really bright red tuna, which is either big eye or yellowfin. However, neither of those two really express the true quality and flavor of good tuna. Next time you go to a quality sushi bar, order either hamachi (yellowTAIL) or bluefin (kuromaguro---"koo-roh ma-goo-roh"---in Japanese) tuna, and ask for the "toro" or the belly part. That's something everyone should try at least once.

I try to be open to new cuisines, but the only sushi I've tried was some from the deli, and if that was representative of what it tastes like then I
feel just like MJ's little emoticon! So vinegary, sour! YUK.

Getting sushi at a deli is like getting Chinese food from and Italian restaurant. Give sushi another chance, but try it from a sushi restaurant. Trust me, it will make a huge difference.

c'mon, i can't believe no one said this yet. if you like sushi like i like sushi, oh, oooohhh, oohh.. favs are maguro, hotategai, ebi, unagi, sake, masago, tobiko, kani, tako, and hamachi. all of the standard stuff in a deluxe platter. i won't eat ika and ikura; reminds me too much of the baits i use when i go fishing.

i love sushi....i go to the all you can eat bar at least twice a month....its worth it for 21.00 an hour...i basically tried everything about sushi, and tried it 3times if i didnt like it the first time

MJ - sushi does not have a "fishy" taste at all (well most - mackeral is something I cannot eat) - IMHO cooked fish is fishy!!!! Start out with just a plain tuna roll or even a spicy tuna roll - I too love raw meat as in tartare or carpaccio. You might be surprised at the very UNfishy taste of most fish. Tuna tartare (the recipe Bubba Gourmet posted here is AWESOME-I think he called it carpaccio but it was actually chopped).

But you can always order rolls with cooked ingredients in them to start out with.

GB - remember, don't force your wife to "like" sushi - once she does your bill will double :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom