"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Try S-mores with saltines instead of graham crackers. Big taste difference.
That’s something I never thought of! The salt would temper the sweetness of those ubiquitous chocolate bars and the marshmallows. BRILLIANT

Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

I soak them in saltwater for a few hours then rinse.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I soak them in saltwater for a few hours then rinse.
What kind of salt and what ratio to water?
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
However, that being said, I have heard theories that holding clams in cold tap water for a half hour makes them give up their sand. I can see because of how osmosis works, water would be going in and plumping them, possible expelling sand.
It's not because of osmosis, which has no effect on sand, and you need salt water for osmosis to work.

As the clams soak in clean - i.e., sand-free - salt water, they ingest it. It travels through their digestive system and the sand is expelled that way.

msmofet, it's likely that your clams have already been purged, but you can do this if you're not sure.

"Cover the clams in salt water by 3/41 1/4 inch. Actual seawater (filtered to remove any sand) is best, of course, but otherwise use sea salt (not regular table salt) and water to a salinity of about 3.5 percent or 35 g (1 1/4 ounces) to every 1 liter*(34 fluid ounces or 4 cups) of water. Fresh water will kill the clams. Try not to shock them to death by changing their temperature too rapidly so keep them somewhere relatively close to their current temperature. If they have been stored chilled (for example, at the fishmongers), then you can use cool water and keep them chilled in the fridge. Otherwise, set them somewhere like in a cool corner of the room."
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2017/04/11/purge-clams/
Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks GG. That is the very best instructions I have yet to see regarding clams. At least twice a year during winter, I make New England Clam Chowder. And I haven't killed anyone yet.

No matter what size the shell animal is, you can't go wrong if you follow these instructions. I usually buy two different size clams for the chowder. Steamers and Quahogs. The latter can be tough to eat, so I cut them up small after they are cooked. But they are great for stuffing also. Quahogs are tough to open. Pirate does it like he was just brushing his teeth. So I leave that job to him. I need to buy a quahog knife someday.

I also look at the bag when I pick it up. If any are open, I will tap it. If it fails to close, I will turn the bag so that more clams come to the outside. In the store where I buy my clams, the bags sit on a bed of ice. I pick bags from the bottom of the pile that have been sitting on the ice. I am willing to accept one or two non-closures at most. If more than that, then on to the next bag. I have my large pan ready with the salted water when I arrive home. Bag and clams into the water as soon as they come out of the grocery bag.

If my hankering for clam chowder is stronger than the high price of clams in the middle of winter, I will settle for razor clams for one of the bags. Not my favorite type of clam for any use.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not because of osmosis, which has no effect on sand, and you need salt water for osmosis to work.

As the clams soak in clean - i.e., sand-free - salt water, they ingest it. It travels through their digestive system and the sand is expelled that way.
Osmosis is a tenency for molecules to move from a higher solute concentrated solution through a semi permeable membrane towards equalizing solute levels, right?

But yes, it has little effect on sand, other then the flow of water from them. Got Garlic, shellfish is a treat for me, as my wife, while she is Kosherish, and treats herself when it is fresh, doesn't normally want any shellfish, so I usually only eat them at the beach, right out of the ocean, which I kind of accept a bit of sand, or a lot of sand.

I'd go with GG's perscription for getting those little guys to give up their sand. Makes sense to me.

T
Old 12-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Sounds absolutely wonderful! Im waiting for the invite!
I don't know if I can get back together the same crew as the last one, a bunch of friends from prep school, and we woke up at six in the morning to be first in line to get one of four! beach fire and camp permits at Cape Cod National Seashore.

We had a pit of hot rocks (and brought in a bag of rocks, cape cod is suprisingly sandy), a bonfire, and brought my two burner propane camping rig and cast iron skillets for eggs, fry bread, and to cook up eggplant and squash for the vegans.

A couple of guitars, and some friendly seals joined us. Well, actually, seals are very large and scary, and they bleated at us, but we had fire!, so we held our ground. We negotiated a solid truce.

Full moon night too, fun times.

TBS
Old 12-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know if I can get back together the same crew as the last one, a bunch of friends from prep school, and we woke up at six in the morning to be first in line to get one of four! beach fire and camp permits at Cape Cod National Seashore.

We had a pit of hot rocks (and brought in a bag of rocks, (Cape Cod is suprisingly sandy), a bonfire, and brought my two burner propane camping rig and cast iron skillets for eggs, fry bread, and to cook up eggplant and squash for the vegans.

A couple of guitars, and some friendly seals joined us. Well, actually, seals are very large and scary, and they bleated at us, but we had fire!, so we held our ground. We negotiated a solid truce.

Full moon night too, fun times.

TBS
And if you go farther north to the lower Cape, you will even find Sand Dunes which are off limits to everyone. They are protected.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Sounds absolutely wonderful! Im waiting for the invite!
Too late in the season. Wait until next summer.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Osmosis is a tenency for molecules to move from a higher solute concentrated solution through a semi permeable membrane towards equalizing solute levels, right?
Right. But clam bodies are not permeable, so osmosis doesn't apply to this situation. It's not like brining a turkey.

Clams take in seawater, with its plankton, silt, sand and whatever else, through an organ called a siphon. It goes through their digestive system and undigested matter is expelled through another siphon. Some of the sand and other debris remains. To purge the clam of sand and other debris, put it in clean salt water, so it moves clean water through its digestive system and expels whatever remains.

There's a drawing of clam anatomy here:
https://io9.com/5924877/this-clam-is...icking-a-table

Tags
clams