Do you purge your live clams before preparing them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you everyone. I read somewhere that Supermarket clams should already be purged? But just wanted to see what others do. Last time I cooked fresh clams DD said they were sandy.

Thank you everyone. I read somewhere that Supermarket clams should already be purged? But just wanted to see what others do. Last time I cooked fresh clams DD said they were sandy.
Are you talking about hard shell or soft shell (steamers)? Most commercially available hard shell clams are cultivated and purged. Steamers have sand in the shell, but the hot water in the sink trick takes care of that. I have not encountered any sand in steamers after this, so they are either purged before hitting the market or they don't have sand inside the animal.

If you dig your own then that's a different topic. By the way, you need a license in MA, NH, and ME. Not sure about other states.

GotGarlic;1533505 There's a drawing of clam anatomy here: [url said:
https://io9.com/5924877/this-clam-isnt-actually-licking-a-table[/url]

Here I just wanted my fantasy that I was eating small shelled sea-turkey, and you go and post a diagram proving I am likely eating their gonads...... ;)

Here I just wanted my fantasy that I was eating small shelled sea-turkey, and you go and post a diagram proving I am likely eating their gonads...... ;)

If you have no problem with that, you should try uni.

Back
Top Bottom