"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Master Chef

Do you purge your live clams before preparing them?

If so what method do you use to purge?

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Head Chef

The littlenecks I buy are cultured and don't need purging. When I buy steamers, they usually have sand in them. Immediately before cooking, I put them in hot tap water in the sink and slosh them around for a few seconds. The hot water makes the shell open slightly and allows the sand to come out. I learned that trick from my brother in law, who worked in a seafood restaurant during his college days.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I don't, because I don't mind a little bit of sand. Also my memories of clambakes were generally done on a beach where we at best rinsed them with some seawater, and buried them in a pit with coals and seaweed.

However, that being said, I have heard theories that holding clams in cold tap water for a half hour makes them give up their sand. I can see because of how osmosis works, water would be going in and plumping them, possible expelling sand.

I like my clams to be rather briny, and accept a certain amount of sand in the mouth as a condition I just have to deal with.

Know a guy from NC who soaks his clams for a half hour in a water and cornmeal solution. I'm not sure if I would go there without more information, but he swears by it.

Yours,

T (E-F)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook

When I make clams, I get them from one of the Asian markets. They’re live and kept in running water, so there’s no need to purge. I’ve never had a grain of sand or a nasty bit of clam poop. (Is clam poop a thing?) If that option is not available, you can purge your clams in a bowl, under running water for about thirty minutes. If I’m wrong on this, please correct me!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I don't, because I don't mind a little bit of sand. Also my memories of clambakes were generally done on a beach where we at best rinsed them with some seawater, and buried them in a pit with coals and seaweed.

However, that being said, I have heard theories that holding clams in cold tap water for a half hour makes them give up their sand. I can see because of how osmosis works, water would be going in and plumping them, possible expelling sand.

I like my clams to be rather briny, and accept a certain amount of sand in the mouth as a condition I just have to deal with.

Know a guy from NC who soaks his clams for a half hour in a water and cornmeal solution. I'm not sure if I would go there without more information, but he swears by it.

Yours,

T (E-F)
A real, honest-to-God clambake is on my bucket list. On the beach, in a pit dug by me and my friends, with s’mores afterwards (I really don’t like them, but when in Rome…).
Old 12-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Try S-mores with saltines instead of graham crackers. Big taste difference.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

It seems it would be very hard to find a beach that would allow a fire?
Oh...I don't purge the clams. Just a quick scrub with a veggie brush and rinse off.
I do not want to lose any of the brine.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
A real, honest-to-God clambake is on my bucket list. On the beach, in a pit dug by me and my friends, with s’mores afterwards (I really don’t like them, but when in Rome…).
It is a glorious thing, do it right and it involves also a big arse bonfire, and everyone sleeping in tents and sleeping bags on the beach.

Bonfire is to heat up the rocks, which hot rocks are better than coals, then you layer seaweed, hot rocks, corn ears in the husk, lobsters, clams, artichokes (seem counterintuitive but it works), more hot rocks, etc.. in a nice pit. Oh and while gathering rocks for it, you can make popers, which are packets of the rock snails with butter and garlic wrapped in tin foil which you put in the heat of the bonfire for a while until they stew and pick the snails out with toothpicks as an appetizer, while you wait for everything else to steam.

Always bring twice as much beer, ice, and butter as you think you need. And someone always forgets to bring a pot for the butter.

TBS (E-F)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It seems it would be very hard to find a beach that would allow a fire?
Cape Cod National Seashore has fire permits, first come first serve, they give out three or four a weekend. Couple places in NJ, Alaire State Park used to, haven't been down to MD Eastern Shore.

Lots of seashores are good as long as you bring your own wood, and leave everything clean.

TBS (E-F)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
It is a glorious thing, do it right and it involves also a big arse bonfire, and everyone sleeping in tents and sleeping bags on the beach.

Bonfire is to heat up the rocks, which hot rocks are better than coals, then you layer seaweed, hot rocks, corn ears in the husk, lobsters, clams, artichokes (seem counterintuitive but it works), more hot rocks, etc.. in a nice pit. Oh and while gathering rocks for it, you can make popers, which are packets of the rock snails with butter and garlic wrapped in tin foil which you put in the heat of the bonfire for a while until they stew and pick the snails out with toothpicks as an appetizer, while you wait for everything else to steam.

Always bring twice as much beer, ice, and butter as you think you need. And someone always forgets to bring a pot for the butter.

TBS (E-F)
Sounds absolutely wonderful! I’m waiting for the invite!

Tags
clams