"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Don't like the taste of fish?

I like most firm fish, but don't like "oily" or fishy-tasting fish (smoked eel, mackerel come to mind). I caught a cooking segment on TV where the chef recommended poaching the fish in chicken stock to which one adds ginger (sliced), lemon grass (lemon slices could be used), chopped hot pepper (red) and then reduce the stock (after you remove the large pieces of ginger and lemon grass). I tried to find the various threads where people have posted that SO/DH/kids don't like the taste of fish. The chef recommended using a firm fish such as cod and to introduce non-fish likers to fish by "disguising it" by poaching in the chicken broth.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Head Chef

I love fish (but hate the bones). There are so many ways to prepare fish, grilled, baked, poached, in paella, cioppino etc. Oscar night I had Veracruz-style red snapper (w/ raisins). Very tasty.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

I like all sea or ocean fish, but do not like nor do I eat river or lake fish. Brrr, yuk. Don't ask me why I have no idea, but to me they are so different.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The best smoked Eel I've ever tasted was from the Lake of Constance.
Lake Superior Whitefish and Sturgeon can be quite tasty.
To my taste, Tautog is rightly referred to as the poor man's lobster.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I love fish (but hate the bones). There are so many ways to prepare fish, grilled, baked, poached, in paella, cioppino etc. Oscar night I had Veracruz-style red snapper (w/ raisins). Very tasty.

Thanks for this, Cerise.....I'll be making it soon. As a matter of fact, I think his video's are fantastic. He taught me to make the best never fail Prime Rib ever... He's a real super star in my book.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The best smoked Eel I've ever tasted was from the Lake of Constance.
Lake Superior Whitefish and Sturgeon can be quite tasty.
To my taste, Tautog is rightly referred to as the poor man's lobster.
i'm not sure about "rightly". lobster is so plentiful after it's recovery that even poor people can afford it. $5 to $6 a pound is often cheaper than other fish, and just slightly more than beef.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm not sure about "rightly". lobster is so plentiful after it's recovery that even poor people can afford it. $5 to $6 a pound is often cheaper than other fish, and just slightly more than beef.
I have a better chance of catching blackfish than lobster and am surprised that the 3 to 4 pound lobsters that I like are available for $5 to $6 per pound.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for this, Cerise.....I'll be making it soon. As a matter of fact, I think his video's are fantastic. He taught me to make the best never fail Prime Rib ever... He's a real super star in my book.
You're welcome, KL. I like his videos, as well. Serve it with cilantro lime rice (recipe at epicurious, as I recall), and warm flour tortillas (fish tacos is another idea), or the blue corn chips for dipping. Enjoy.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I have a better chance of catching blackfish than lobster and am surprised that the 3 to 4 pound lobsters that I like are available for $5 to $6 per pound.
Yesterday I bought one large fresh filet of Haddock at the cost of $7.99 per pound. Lobsters were $3.99 per pound for three pound chickens. (female lobsters)

Want to catch a lobsters on your own? Go to the seashore after a Nor'easter. Sometimes they get washed up on shore.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Lead me home to these cheap lobsters !!!!!1 oh you are all such a tease. I would have to add a trans-Atlantic air-fare to that.
However, we do have other good things over here............Fine wines Cheeses, Duck..., Oh, but I do adore Lobster

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish