"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Duo of Salmon and Scallops

We got in some fresh New Zealand King salmon today to try it out, and I decided to run a special with it. The salmon itself had a nice flavor, although not as good as wild Alaskan King. We compared it side by side with some Atlantic farm raised crap that we had for a banquet, and there was a noticeable difference in flavor between the two. The New Zealand King was also farm raised, but it was much superior in quality. It's only a little over a dollar more per pound than what we pay for the Atlantic salmon, so we'll probably switch over to the New Zealand one for the salmon that we run at lunch and on banquet menus.

Pan Seared New Zealand King Salmon and Atlantic Diver Scallops
Kahuku Sweet Corn, Local Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes, Ume and Port Reduction, Japanese Plum Wine Emulsion

Old 03-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Very nice IC! " Ume and Port Reduction, " I have some umeboshi, could I use that in the reduction?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine View Post
Very nice IC! " Ume and Port Reduction, " I have some umeboshi, could I use that in the reduction?
Yeah, just make a paste out of the plums and the shiso. The master recipe is one whole bottle of ruby port reduced until the consistency of maple syrup, whisk in 3/4 lb. unsalted butter, and then the umeboshi paste to taste. You can half the recipe with no problem.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
We got in some fresh New Zealand King salmon today to try it out, and I decided to run a special with it. The salmon itself had a nice flavor, although not as good as wild Alaskan King. We compared it side by side with some Atlantic farm raised crap that we had for a banquet, and there was a noticeable difference in flavor between the two. The New Zealand King was also farm raised, but it was much superior in quality. It's only a little over a dollar more per pound than what we pay for the Atlantic salmon, so we'll probably switch over to the New Zealand one for the salmon that we run at lunch and on banquet menus.

Pan Seared New Zealand King Salmon and Atlantic Diver Scallops
Kahuku Sweet Corn, Local Asparagus and Grape Tomatoes, Ume and Port Reduction, Japanese Plum Wine Emulsion

looks amazing!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
just make a paste out of the plums and the shiso.
I've never seen fresh shiso here, so I'll have to wait until my grows. Thanks for a great idea!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've never seen fresh shiso here, so I'll have to wait until my grows. Thanks for a great idea!
Oh, I wasn't talking about fresh shiso, I was talking about the leaves that sometime come with the ume in the preserving liquid. If your ume doesn't have the shiso leaves, you can just omit it.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

NO shiso in mine. I'll have access to U-10 diver scallops next week, and some great fish. Thank you!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
NO shiso in mine. I'll have access to U-10 diver scallops next week, and some great fish. Thank you!!!
Just be careful with the amount that you add. The ume in plum form is a lot more intense in the already made paste version so add less than what the recipe calls for, and then more to taste as needed.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Is the ume paste something you buy or do you make it fresh from the plums? The combo of the port and plum flavor sounds so good and I really want to try this sauce at least.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Is the ume paste something you buy or do you make it fresh from the plums? The combo of the port and plum flavor sounds so good and I really want to try this sauce at least.
Terry, you buy the umeboshi paste in Asian markets. It's great to have on hand!
Quote:
so we'll probably switch over to the New Zealand one for the salmon that we run at lunch and on banquet menus
IC, that's a good idea, because the quality of farm-raised Atlantic salmon is so bad that most chefs around here would rather not offer salmon than menu it. Not a healthy choice, unfortunately. I'm going to keep my eye out for the farm raised NZ salmon. Thanks for the heads up!

Tags
None