Easing in to Fish/Shellfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
I'm not a big fish guy at all unless it's battered with a load of tartar sauce on the side, but I'm trying to ease myself in to liking it. I have been training myself to accept things I once thought to be gross as I've got in to this cooking thing with a lot of success. Fish has been difficult. Shellfish not as bad, I don't mind shrimp, mussels but only once in a while with a really good sauce, and scallops, but again need a good sauce. Tried lobster a few times and actually really like that, shark as well was good, tasted like a cross between pork and fish with a bit of a chicken hint to it I thought. Salmon is the one I don't think I'll ever enjoy, it brings out a gag reflex in me for some reason.

So I'm looking for some ways to ease myself in to this stuff. Recipes that have a fish included but not as the dominating flavour, or some new awesome sauces for certain things you guys think would help someone like me trying to get used to this stuff. I love beurre blancs and rouges, know those go real good with fish. Dill beurre blanc was great sauce for fish, I actually somewhat enjoyed a piece of halibut with that before.

So any suggestions for this fish non-lover?

if you like italian food, you could put just about any fish or shellfish or combo thereof (except maybe salmon and a few others), in a garlic and fresh basil tomato sauce. toss in a healthy pinch of hot pepper flakes for things like conch, squid, mussels, and oily fishes.

or lighten up the tomato sauce, and add some white wine and saffron for more delicate flavored fishes.

hth. :chef:

Try Tilapia. It has a really mild flavor, so you don't have to overcome that :fish: flavor.
And pick up some fresh catfish too. I have found that it has a good non-fish flavor too.
(I was just like you about a year ago, aside from the salmon, which I have come to really like!)

I think any like white fleshed fish is a good bet for the non fish lover.

flouder, talapia, halibut, are all good and I think you might like them.

I agree with the white fish. Tilapia is probably the mildest.
Whiting, Dover sole, and halibut, like others have mentioned.
If you liked shark steaks, try swordfish.
And if you liked mussels, try clams.
I think you're masking your fish behind sauces, when all you need is lemon!
Baked, boiled, broiled, fried, pouched, or grilled, I could eat fish 4 nights out of 7.

Try raw fish. Cooked salmon is something I am not crazy about (but I am learning to like it). Raw salmon is completely different and one of the most delicious things you will ever taste. Same goes for tuna.

I like fish, not all kind of fish, But I do. Also I make bunch of salads that include fish, that might work.

I had a pan-seared halibut dish on my menu this past fall. The sauce was easy. I took some chopped shrimp and sauteed that in the pan the fish was seared in. Deglaze with white wine, shrimp stock, and some heavy cream. Bring to a boil, season to taste, and plate the dish. It was served in a bowl, over rissotto, with the rissotto swimming in the sauce, and fish just rising up out of it.

If you can get scallops in your area that could be a good start in the shell fish arena. I absolutely love them.

Back
Top Bottom