Eating smoked salmon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's good on a bagel with a schmear.

on wholegrain wasa crackers.

on a split baked potato with sour cream.

Last edited:
I've only eaten it as an appetizer, but if it's home-smoked, it may have a light enough taste to be eaten as an entree. On a bun with lettuce, tomato, mayo or cream cheese, maybe some chopped egg or capers.

Last edited:
Depends on whether you're going to cold smoke it or hot smoke it. Cold smoked salmon (e.g. lox) is smoked and raw. Hot smoked salmon is cooked through and smoked.

imagine this on your plate...
smoked salmon
scrambled eggs with chives folded in and loads of butter
large diced heirloom tomatoes
toast of your choice
a side dish of fresh fruit d'jour
a beverage to wash it all down...
my DH's favorite breakfast (he likes rye toast, dry please)

With cold smoked (lox or nova) you can make a cheese cake. Gravlox would work as well, even though it is cured, but not smoked.

What they said.

And I once found a packet of smoked salmon chunks on the supermarket fish counter and used it in kedgeree along with the smoked haddock. It worked well.

I used to have recipe for smoked salmon mousse wrapped in strips of smoked salmon (you line the ramekins with the SS before pouring in the mousse). Very fiddly but people seemed to like it as a dinner party first course. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared in the house move.

It's a bit on the shelf though - as an oily fish with all its omega wotsits, salmon is good for you but the smoking of it is supposed to be bad for you. You can't win, so enjoy.

Last edited:
Kangirl,
How did you know one of my all-time favorite breakfasts? Also Buckytom, You are on the nail with the pasta idea; It really is a beautiful supper/ dinner dish. It does make an elegant starter though just served very simply sliced with a wedge of lemon, a twist of freshly ground black pepper and thinly sliced brown bread and butter

I'm with Buckytom. Escoffier's 'Sauce Supreme'. I use King mushrooms for the liquor but I reserve the mushrooms, rough chopped to add back to the previously sieved sauce. Also I use 'half and half' instead of double cream. Cold smoked salmon hand shredded into small but not too small pieces added to the sauce just before serving. Try to use the tailpiece of the salmon. Better texture and flavor. The tail does most of the work moving the fish through the water. When I go to the local fish market and specify I want the tail section I always get a little secret nod and grin from the fishmonger.

I am thinking about smoking some salmon, how does one use it in a meal, or is it just something to nibble on?
-Smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels

-Very thin slices on a plate with quarters of lemon as a "starter" (horrible word) You can tweak it up with a bit of greenery if you like.

-Chopped up and added to scrambled eggs or a French omelette

-Smoked salmon mousse for main course or "starter"

-Ditto made into little stand alone rounds by wrapping the mousse in slice of smoked salmon

Dainty sandwiches for afternoon tea with English cucumber on very thin sliced bread, cut in triangles with the crusts cut off.

Thought I'd add our every Sunday morning breakfast. This is my Souschefs special
he makes for us while we watch Sunday Morning. It's fun to watch him make this, as he's such a perfectionist.

Perfectly toasted Sara Lee's "everything" bagel halves spread with a little butter, and thickly smeared with spreadable cream cheese. Then he arranges a few capers in a saucer and smashes the bagel halves into the capers. I admit that was my idea.
Then on top he lays perfect thin slices of lox, a paper thin white onion slice, and a thin tomato slice adorned with fresh ground pepper and sea salt. Sunday just wouldn't be the same without our breakfast.

imagine this on your plate...
smoked salmon
scrambled eggs with chives folded in and loads of butter
large diced heirloom tomatoes
toast of your choice
a side dish of fresh fruit d'jour
a beverage to wash it all down...
my DH's favorite breakfast (he likes rye toast, dry please)

OMG. That sounds just perfect.

In one of the "top chef" competitions, do not remember who it was, folded smoked salmon into pancake batter and then fried like regular pancakes.

What they said.

And I once found a packet of smoked salmon chunks on the supermarket fish counter and used it in kedgeree along with the smoked haddock. It worked well.

I used to have recipe for smoked salmon mousse wrapped in strips of smoked salmon (you line the ramekins with the SS before pouring in the mousse). Very fiddly but people seemed to like it as a dinner party first course. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared in the house move.

Finnan Haddie. Every time I buy it, it never sees the inside of my home. I start to nibble on it as soon as I am out the store's door. Walk real slow on the way home. By the time I get to the outside of my door, it is all gone. Now I have to find a place to toss the wrapping without littering. But now it is just too expensive. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom