"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

You went wrong at the very begining face crab meat doesn't taste anything like real crab ;)

Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

I only half agree Charlie. While the fake crab I've bought has the taste of real crab, it lacks the texture or mouth feel of real crab. One needs to at least shred the fake crab in a recipe. It's some kind of white fish dyed pink, with crab flavoring the way I understand it.
MollyAnn, when the stuff first came on the market, I had a main dish recipe that was pretty darn good. I'll look for it if you want to try it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
Flour Child

Now that's a thought no one mentioned yet, kayelle. I was wondering if I should have shredded it a bit....but still that wouldn't have helped it's unflavorfulness.

Don't bother trying to find your recipe....i've tried that at times and it can take hours. If you ever run across it again though then, YES, I'd love for you to post it. Thank you

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

I think in my Ukranian recipes thread there is a recipe for a salad using fake crab meat, it is really-really good. But other than that, really how can polach, I think it is the name of the fish used for the fake crab, taste like real crab?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Everything anyone could ever want to know about fake crab. lol

Gale-Edit - How Products are Made - Volumes - Imitation Crab Meat

Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Flour Child

Oh thank you Your Kayelleness
...and to think I've waited all my
life for that epistle on fake crab

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #17
Master Chef

Always remember, you heard it from me first.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #18
Master Chef

I like krab in a cobb salad. Krab, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, boiled egg wedges, tomato wedges, artfully arranged on a bed of greens. Dressing can be a lot of things; oil & vinegar, ranch, blue cheese, pick your favorite.

Layer thinly sliced ham and krab in a casserole with thinly sliced onions. Sprinkle cheese of your choice between the layers, a sprinkle of Chesapeake Bay seasoning, and some cream of whatever your favorite soup is (since you're using fake crab, I wouldn't bother to make a bechamel). Everything is cooked already, so just bake until hot through (use any casserole recipe to get a time/temp). Serve with a starch and salad. Or, to make it a more complete casserole, you can par-boil or nuke some thin slices of potatoes and add that to the layered mix. This is most definitely a play it by ear, experiment with what you have thing.

Use your favorite tuna/chicken/ham etc salad recipe for sandwiches. Use the aforementioned Bay seasoning. Spread in sandwiches, put out as a spread on crackers, or serve as a luncheon scooped into a hollowed tomato or avocado half.

Use in a stir fry or fried rice.

Ironically, I know how to do all this stuff, but my husband doesn't like fake crab, so I almost never do it!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I am a self proclaimed coupon princess (not yet a Queen), but there are just some things you can't skimp on. Fake seafood being definitely a top 3. Fake crab and lobster are made from Pollock.. a cheeeeaaap white fish. It is super processed, then mixed with a bunch of other fish. If you want to taste what it is you think you are eating, gotta get the real stuff.

Guess I am a little snobby on the subject... growing up with clam, lobster, and crab bakes made me this way. I blame my ocean-obsessed family.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree it is a cheap way of getting fish in your diet without blowing your budget. As for the sweetish taste, it bothered me until I thought of adding a little soy sauce or teriyaki to it. It changes the taste completely making it more savory. I like to add a quarter pound of it to Ramen noodles with the sprinkle of soy sauce for a quick, cheap and healthy lunch. How do you like to fix it?

Zhizara

Tags
None