Fake Crabmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree it is a cheap way of getting fish in your diet without blowing your budget. As for the sweetish taste, it bothered me until I thought of adding a little soy sauce or teriyaki to it. It changes the taste completely making it more savory. I like to add a quarter pound of it to Ramen noodles with the sprinkle of soy sauce for a quick, cheap and healthy lunch. How do you like to fix it?

Zhizara

I'm not so sure how healthy that is. A package of ramen noodles contains 2/3 of your recommended salt intake for the day and way too much saturated fat. And that's not counting the soy or teriyaki sauce you may add or whatever is in the crabmeat.

Last edited:
At the time I wrote healthy, I was only thinking of the fish. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized what I had done. You're right lots of salt including the soy, but it was a quick lunch, tasted okay, and I'd been really good about my salt intake lately, honest.

Zhizara

At the time I wrote healthy, I was only thinking of the fish. It wasn't until after I posted that I realized what I had done. You're right lots of salt including the soy, but it was a quick lunch, tasted okay, and I'd been really good about my salt intake lately, honest.

Zhizara

I eat the stuff too.

I'm not so sure how healthy that is. A package of ramen noodles contains 2/3 of your recommended salt intake for the day and way too much saturated fat. And that's not counting the soy or teriyaki sauce you may add or whatever is in the crabmeat.
...killjoy. ;) :kiss:

mtnlover14 said:
...growing up with clam, lobster, and crab bakes made me this way.
...i'm jealous :D

Last edited:
This is delicious:

Crab Dip

1 6-1/2 oz can of crab meat OR 1 8 oz pkg Crab Delights
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheesed, softened
2 eggs
1/2 onion, finely diced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Worchester sauce
1 tsp granulated garlic
dash Tabasco sauce
paprika

Mix all together except paprika. Put in lightly buttered 9x13 pan. Dust with paprika and bake 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees till lightly browned.
Do not over-bake, or it will be dry.

Serve with cocktail crackers of your choice.

In the UK here, "fake crab" is usually named "crab sticks". These, our seaside tourists love, which is why the fishmongers continue selling this abomination, an extruded form of white, semi-hard gelatinous gunk. Far better use tinned crab meat. It's not expensive, and the brined white crab meat is pretty much okay.

I think "Fake Crab" or surimi is pretty popular in Japan too.
When it's fresh it's pretty yummy.

The Japanese can't keep raping the ocean without finding some sort of sustainable product to market.

fake is fake. i never buy it anymore at all. course has tons of salt. i used to tease my kids and say that fish sticks were made from scraping the bottom of the boat. feel the same way bout fake crab.

Back
Top Bottom