"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Flour Child

Fake Crabmeat

I can't resist a good sale. Thus, I bought my first package of fake crabmeat at 1/2 price. I didn't know what to do with it other than sprinkle it on salad greens but I was out of greens so I followed the recipe on the back for Crab Dip:

8 oz Fake Crab.............check
1 tsp lemonjuice...........check
4 oz creamcheese.........substituted less caloric Greek Yogurt
1 chopped green onion...had none so substituted fresh chives
2Tbsp horseradish.........ran out so halfhorseradish/halfmustard
4 oz. sliced almonds......check
2 Tbsp milk..................didn't need - yogurt was runny enough
pepper to taste............check (half black half cayenne)
Recipe said Bake@400 for 12 minutes...bake yogurt? Nah.

So far...can only taste mustard and chives - no crab taste

Added Old Bay Seasoning...still no crab taste

Where did I go wrong ? No, seriously, I know I substituted a lot and didn't bake it but has anyone ever had any luck with Fake Crab? Is there a recipe that's any good for this stuff other than sushi (does it have any crab flavor when you eaten it in sushi?)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
...Where did I go wrong ?...

You replaced mild tasting cream cheese with tart yogurt
You replaced horseradish with mustard
You replaced black pepper with cayenne
You ate it raw instead of cooking it
You added Old Bay seasoning

Where didn't you go wrong?

Fake crab has a nice flavor but you can't bury it in a blend of other strong flavors.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Um.. I'm thinking too may substitutions.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Flour Child

...ouch . Okay, I deserved that but, Andy, I didn't eat it raw...yuk. The package says fully cooked. But yes, I ate it cold.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

That's an interesting recipe. I'm not sure why they bake it... there's nothing in it that needs heat. Weird.

Smart people substitute quality yogurt for cream cheese any day of the week so don't worry about that. The horseradish/mustard substitution is a bit harsh though... depending on the mustard. I could see a quality Dijon possibly working. "Pepper to taste" is too abstract... for all we know 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper flushed the entire recipe. But I'm guessing you didn't use 2 tablespoons.

As for baking yogurt, I've not done it but it should be fine if you are using a yogurt cheese [highly drained yogurt] or Greek Yogurt. 12 minutes isn't long and it might be used to fuse and set the flavors... I'm not really sure.

All of that said... fake crab is kinda gross and very high in sodium, so you might not have done anything wrong. Maybe you just don't like the stuff. Did you try it sans ingredients?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Flour Child

...yes, I picked out a lump of it and wiped off the sauce and just ate it sans sauce but it still had no flavor...maybe it's the "on sale" brand that is the problem. It was called "Classic Crab". I used a teensiest of teensy pinch of the cayenne pepper because I know it packs a wollop...and used Dijon. But I think you're right about the heat bringing out the flavor of the crab maybe.

...but basically Dave got it right...."too many substitutions"
...and Andy got it right..."buried in a blend of strong flavors"

I hang my head in shame...lol. Meanwhile I'll never buy that stuff again...until another "great deal" rears it's ugly head. Just can't resist a deal...when will I ever learn?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Mollyanne,
fake crab isn't bad and the crab man isn't gonna get ya I've used it with real crab and the tiny bay shrimp to make a nice cold aasalad when more people than expected show up and buy all real crab would break the bank, add celery, sliced green onion both parts, sliced toasted nuts a little mayo and lemon zest and juice get it nice and cold and it is good.
kades
Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook

As others have pointed out, yep too much mangling of the recipe.

But baking will help blend and marry flavors. Most food tastes stronger hot and crab dip is normally a dish served at least warm. Yogurt would be quite a bit runnier at that point than cream cheese.

Surimi can be good and can be bad. The cheaper the fake crab, generally the poorer it is.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Flour Child

What a great idea, kades, to use the fake stuff to expand
your amount of real crab for $avings! And I always trust
your recipes so thank you for the tips.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Flour Child

oops, didn't see you there, thymeless. It makes sense the cheaper the poor the quality.

But guess what?! I just baked some Panko breaded Tilapia for lunch and had a bite of each at the same time of my failed Fake Crab Dip and Tilapia and...drumbroll...YUMMO! Together they are a marriage made in heaven!

Tags
None