"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #91
Master Chef

Sorry Addie, but leaving a clothesline and clothes pins isn't leaving the site better than you found it. If I were to go to a campsite and find that, I'd consider it trash that the previous campers didn't bother to clean up. Plus, the clothesline could be a real hazard to wildlife. Hopefully, the Girl Scouts don't do that anymore.

Hmmm...fish. I really like salmon and halibut, but I think my favorite is fresh caught brook trout. I haven't had that in years, unfortunately. I had tilapia once about 10 years ago and thought it was nasty and haven't bought it since. It tasted like mud to me.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Sorry Addie, but leaving a clothesline and clothespins isn't leaving the site better than you found it. If I were to go to a campsite and find that, I'd consider it trash that the previous campers didn't bother to clean up. Hopefully, the Girl Scouts don't do that anymore.

Hmmm...fish. I really like salmon and halibut, but I think my favorite is fresh caught brook trout. I haven't had that in years, unfortunately. I had tilapia once about 10 years ago and thought it was nasty and haven't bought it since. It tasted like mud to me.
Cheryl, we had to wash the dish towels each day. There was no clothesline. The girls wanted one. That clothesline got a lot of use for the 10 days we were there. The year before they brought small mixing bowls for the kitchen. The only things the GSA Council provided for the site, was triple bunk beds and a kitchen. Each year that we took the girls there we all had to bring something we would need. Including pots and pans. One year we left a large pot for stew. The next year when we returned we found the large pot and a large saucepan someone had added. Our troop started a tradition. Bringing something from home that will make it easy for the troops that come behind us. It didn't have to be something new. Just useful. Recycling. When the Leaders had their monthly meeting, the subject of what we had done came up. One leader said she was going to have her girls ask their mother next year for one item she didn't use anymore. So if you had 20 girls, 20 items were left for use for the next troop. So how is that trash?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #93
Master Chef

I thought you were talking about wilderness camping, since that was the subject you responded to.

When you mentioned triple bunk beds and kitchens, I realized we were talking about two entirely different things.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 AM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I thought you were talking about wilderness camping, since that was the subject you responded to.

When you mentioned triple bunk beds and kitchens, I realized we were talking about two entirely different things.
Heh. Yeah, sleeping in bunk beds and cooking in a kitchen is not exactly camping, even if you are out in the woods
Old 06-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #95
Master Chef

When I was a Girl Scout we slept in sleeping bags on the forest floor and cooked over an open campfire. Sometimes we had little 2-person pup tents.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #96
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This thread started 12 years ago and I can't believe I never responded...
Same here Andy.

Cold smoke: halibut and salmon, mackerel
Hot smoked: salmon, white fish, trout
Fried: Cod with skin on, ocean perch, polach, Halibut with skin on, smelt
Baked: Salmon, cod, trout,
Grilled: whole red snapper, Halibut
Salted: Russian stile herring, smelt.
Salted and dried: Caspian roach, Common bream
Canned: sprats, sardine, goby fish, Pacific saury

I do have to say I hate smell of fish on my hands and if I touch it I will wash my hands for hours making sure that there is no smell at all. Strangely I love going to fish stores, love the smell there.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When I was a Girl Scout we slept in sleeping bags on the forest floor and cooked over an open campfire. Sometimes we had little 2-person pup tents.
Our Scouts had a couple of night doing that. But not in the woods. Too many critters in the woods out back of the camp. So they slept out on the big lawn where the flag pole was. And they cooked out there also. Over a campfire.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #98
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I so wish lion fish could be imported locally. It is truly the most delicious fish I've ever had. I can't handle "fishy" tasting fish, and lion fish is soooo delicate and tasty. Thankfully many of the Caribbean islands where this predator is decimating the reefs have realized this, and it's on the menu. They have to be speared, as they won't take a line, so it's quite a process to catch them.

I too won't eat swai or tilapia anymore. Wild-caught here.
Lion fish taste good, huh? I read recently that there's a serious overpopulation of lion fish in certain waters. I was surprised to read that. I always thought they were exotic looking, endangered almost with their wide fins.

Reel 'em in !
Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #99
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Lion fish taste good, huh? I read recently that there's a serious overpopulation of lion fish in certain waters. I was surprised to read that. I always thought they were exotic looking, endangered almost with their wide fins.

Reel 'em in !
The lion fish here in the USA and Caribbean are an invasive species, rarely caught on hook & line. The most effective means of taking them is by spear with a trident tip. That style tip keeps them from sliding up the spear shaft where the diver might get stuck by the venomous spines.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Favorite Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The lion fish here in the USA and Caribbean are an invasive species, rarely caught on hook & line. The most effective means of taking them is by spear with a trident tip. That style tip keeps them from sliding up the spear shaft where the diver might get stuck by the venomous spines.

A friend invented a spear, the ELF (Eliminate Lion Fish) that's been very successful. It doesn't damage the coral. He frequents Cozumel, where they have a yearly lion fish tournament. I haven't been down there when it was going on, but would love to be. A bunch of local restaurants set up booths by the marina, and cook up lion fish in many ways. My favorite is coconut-crusted at a local restaurant, two for one on Thursdays.

I've seen a few while snorkeling, they are beautiful. They also slurp up native fish species.

Tags
None