Favorite Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And they feed moray eels.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In a documentary on the animal planet channel, or something like that, there was a video of a moray stalking a live lion fish that had hidden itself. When the lion fish exposed itself by consuming a smaller fish that crossed its feeding path, it became a meal for the eel.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In a documentary on the animal planet channel, or something like that, there was a video of a moray stalking a live lion fish that had hidden itself. When the lion fish exposed itself by consuming a smaller fish that crossed its feeding path, it became a meal for the eel.

I sure hope so! We see morays on our snorkeling trips, and most are confused by lion fish. They want a chef to prepare them apparently.

Groupers are top-of-the-chain predators, and they would enjoy lion fish, but they're also confused.

Last edited:
My favorite fish was cod deep fat fried from Pioneer Chicken (or Pioneer Takeout) in the 80s in California, barring that from the Airport Diner here, but at $3 a piece, I console myself with Long John Silver's.

And no, Ivar's does not have good fish.

My favorite fish is Herbert. Please read the following.

Let me tell you a fish story, the way fish stories are supposed to be told .

I was in a small, 12 foot aluminum boat fishing the Niagara River. I was about two miles upstream of the Horseshoe Falls, having drifted about 5 miles downstream from my starting point. So I thought that I'd better fire up the old girl and head upstream. She wouldn't start. I started saying some very mean things to her, and she just became more stubborn. I thought about jumping out, but there were no logs I could swim to so that I could whittle a propeller on one end, so that I could stand on the log and roll it with my feet to propel me back to safety. I just kept on trying to start old Ruthey (that's what I called my boat), Suddenly, I saw my rod bend further and faster than I'd ever seen that fishing rod bend. It was made for catching orcas. I grabbed the rod and gave a mighty tug. Whatever was on the other end of that line gave a mighty tug back that almost pulled me out of the boat. But I hung on. Well that fish ran straight upstream so hard that I knew I was saved from a horrible death by plunging down the falls. I braced my feet against the bow and hung onto that pole for dear life. That fish ran so fast that my boat came instantly on plane. I'd say we were doing 20 knots or so.

After about ten minutes, the beast began to slow down. I was plenty far away from the falls. Another couple of five minute runs, just as fast as that first run, had tired the beast out. It leaped into the air one time, revealing itself as the biggest steelhead that had ever been seen, anywhere. That fish was twelve foot long!

I finally got it to the boat. It looked at me with those steelhead eyes as if to say; "You know, I just saved your life. Besides, I'm tough and old, not very good for eaten. How about you just cut the line. That little hook will rust away soon enough and I'll be as good as new. How about it. Cut the line.

I'm telling you the absolute truth, that's what those eyes said to me. So, I cut the line. Yep, I see old Herbert every now and again. That's what I named him. He likes the name.

He swims in Lake Superior now. He'll rise to just under the surface, then snap his jaws to spit water at me. I furiously wag my finger at him and say; "Keep it up Herbert, and one of these days you'll end up in my frying pan. We both laugh. Steelheads look very peculiar when they laugh. Then, he just swims away, sometimes to chase a school of whitefish to my boat, sometimes, just to enjoy his mighty wet kingdom. Everybody should have a steelhead for a best friend, dontcha think? Oh, he’ll occasionally round up lake trout roe for me, and push a mass of them to my boat. “Never liked them lake trout, he’d say. They think their all that. No humility at all in those down deep fish. Enjoy them eggs. I know I do.
Then he grins, and off he goes, probably to those female steelhead and rainbows.;)

My favorite fish was cod deep fat fried from Pioneer Chicken (or Pioneer Takeout) in the 80s in California, barring that from the Airport Diner here, but at $3 a piece, I console myself with Long John Silver's.

And no, Ivar's does not have good fish.

I lived in Tacoma during the early 70's when Ivar was still alive. He did have good food then. When we went to Seattle, we always stopped at one of his two places to eat. :angel:

Maybe the food is good. All I know is when I've ordered fish there, I get baked fish that would ripple in a breeze like a piece of paper - and is about as tasty. Our Airport Diner here makes delicious fish. I'd back that against Ivar's any day. I do have to say, I enjoy the Ivar's clam chowder though.

Did I tell you guys I won the lottery once? Well, I did. So there's my fish story.

Maybe the food is good. All I know is when I've ordered fish there, I get baked fish that would ripple in a breeze like a piece of paper - and is about as tasty. Our Airport Diner here makes delicious fish. I'd back that against Ivar's any day. I do have to say, I enjoy the Ivar's clam chowder though.

Did I tell you guys I won the lottery once? Well, I did. So there's my fish story.

That's too bad about Ivars. At one time it was always listed at the top of the place you just had to go to for good food. Oh well. Alas! How far the mighty have fallen :angel:

Addie, it could just be me. And the only Ivar's I've ever gone into is the take-out place by the ferry terminal in Seattle and that was years ago. Maybe they've gotten better since then. Who knows?

My favorites are wild freshly caught red snapper and wild caught Tuna. When I feel like meat I eat the Tuna. When I feel like a feel like fish I have the Red Snapper.

Hot-smoked Copper River Chinook salmon. The new season is just getting going, and Costco is selling twitchy-fresh whole fish for $8/lb here in Seattle. Eat your hearts out, America.

I split them open, then smoke and serve them whole for maximum, Game of Thrones effect. This is the Pacific North West, so I smoke with alder. Prep on the fish? A little butter, lemon juice, dab of cayenne, is all.

...I do have to say I hate smell of fish on my hands and if I touch it I will wash my hands for hours making sure that there is no smell at all...
Charlie, look for Softsoap Kitchen Fresh Hands liquid hand soap. I don't remember who here (Aunt Bea? tinlizzie? someone) suggested I try that to get rid of lingering smells from onions and raw potato. I've been eternally grateful ever since. I have to say that I can't tell I've handled those foods after I scrub my hands with that soap - and my nose is a super-sniffer.

Charlie, look for Softsoap Kitchen Fresh Hands liquid hand soap. I don't remember who here (Aunt Bea? tinlizzie? someone) suggested I try that to get rid of lingering smells from onions and raw potato. I've been eternally grateful ever since. I have to say that I can't tell I've handled those foods after I scrub my hands with that soap - and my nose is a super-sniffer.

In my opinion onions was much easier than herring for example. Usually I just use vinegar. It helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I think my favourite fish is Danish (cold) smoked herring. Cold smoked salmon or graved laks are a close second. I like salt water fish: fresh water fish, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom