"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #21

I also like monk fish.. I can't afford to buy it for myself. I had it in a restaurant broiled.. with a very subtle seasoning.. I know there was lemon.. but couldn't make out the others.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

I like tuna and have tried different brands but don't seem to like any other then chicken of the sea and bumble bee tuna.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:00 PM   #23
Certified Executive Chef

Good Juliev, not many people separate fish from shell fish, I guess because they all come from the sea. I like you love salmon no matter what is done to it, even the patties made from canned salmon. I make a coating out of finely ground (use my microplane on frozen bagettes) bread crumbs, fresh chopped Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon zest, minced fresh garlic and ginger. Add to melted butter and make into a paste and pat on top of the fish after drying with a paper towel. I place in the fridge until the butter has hardened. I heat my cast iron skillet until HOT and add EVOO and a little butter and quickly place the fish, coating side down, onto the hot oils and sear for 2-4 minutes, you have to watch it as the coating will burn fast. When it is seared I turn it briefly and then place in my toaster oven to complete the cooking process. When done, I deglaze with white vermouth, chicken stock and when reduced add butter to thicken and some capers and pour over the salmon. I also like halibut, and I do a similar thing with it except I omit the ginger and add parmasean reggiano and broil. ALso love fresh Ahi Tuna/
Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Good Juliev, not many people separate fish from shell fish, I guess because they all come from the sea. I like you love salmon no matter what is done to it, even the patties made from canned salmon. I make a coating out of finely ground (use my microplane on frozen bagettes) bread crumbs, fresh chopped Italian parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon zest, minced fresh garlic and ginger. Add to melted butter and make into a paste and pat on top of the fish after drying with a paper towel. I place in the fridge until the butter has hardened. I heat my cast iron skillet until HOT and add EVOO and a little butter and quickly place the fish, coating side down, onto the hot oils and sear for 2-4 minutes, you have to watch it as the coating will burn fast. When it is seared I turn it briefly and then place in my toaster oven to complete the cooking process. When done, I deglaze with white vermouth, chicken stock and when reduced add butter to thicken and some capers and pour over the salmon. I also like halibut, and I do a similar thing with it except I omit the ginger and add parmasean reggiano and broil. ALso love fresh Ahi Tuna/
Come on Norgeskog.. don't get my mouth watering now.. I just had dinner over an hour ago.. lol.. you're making my pepperoni, cheese, and crackers look pretty sad!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #25

meaning that's what I'm looking forward to for a snack.... the pepperoni, etc.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #26
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliev
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Come on Norgeskog.. don't get my mouth watering now.. I just had dinner over an hour ago.. lol.. you're making my pepperoni, cheese, and crackers look pretty sad!
Sorry Juliev, your pepperoni and cheese sounds good to me. Thanks for the compliment. Sorry I do not post amounts as I do not measure anything except when I make a cake or bread. I usually cook for myself and kind of eyeball the measurements.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:08 PM   #27

I think the best recipes are the ones that aren't measured... learned from experimentation... I'm one for that.. I don't bake a lot.. I made PA Baker's scones the other day, and they were great!.. If I'm following someone else's recipe, I go by directions.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #28
Senior Cook

yes, I agree with you. Cooking is more art than science. Just go with the feel. Just like in life :)

best way.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #29
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Storm
yes, I agree with you. Cooking is more art than science. Just go with the feel. Just like in life :)

best way.
Well said Leaf Storm.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:45 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Mahi Mahi-prepared anyway.

Tags
None