"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
Master Chef

favorite seafoods?

i love 'em all except for catfish. ugh. i despise catfish.
my very faves are:
-oysters on the half shell, a little squeeeze of lemon, and a dash of salt.
-tilapia. i love the texture, the bite it has to it, and the flavor.
-crab, especially in crabcakes and crab clusters w/ lemon and butter.
-lobster, just steamed with lemon and butter.
-calamari

Old 12-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I have never been a big seafood eater, alot of things (mainly shellfish) do not appeal to me, but also because it was never really on the table when I was younger. However, one thing that always appeals to be is a nicely battered (or even cooked in a bag) piece of lemon sole. Delicious flavour and texture.

I really should eat more seafood.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #3

"Seafood" in my own opinion, means "food that has grown in the water", and so this should include freshwater fish as well!

My favourites are "pickerel" (okay, a Cdn name for "walleye") that is about 1.5-2 lbs in fresh caught weight, or, arguably "yellow perch", as close relative of the pickerel...

Boned out, skinned, battered with egg, and diped in either cornflake crumbs (will let you "guess" at the source!) or finely crushed salt and vinegar chips, then fried, preferably in lard, and lots of it!)...preferably over a fire of long dead pine in a cast iron pan, while "still twitching" in terms of "freshness"...

A side of "Baked Beans Variant" from my old post on "Miscellaeneous" column...

A few pieces of BBQ ham/garlic kielbosa, fresh bread, sliced raw or cooked onion, a "snort" of "fizzy" red wine and or a few good Cdn beers...

Works for those that live "inland" of the seacoasts! Likewise for any with a fear/distrust or distaste for "shellfish", which are expensive, and probably not for everyone, either...

Anyways, a few thoughts...

Lifter
Old 12-16-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

I love any and all seafood. Lucky I live here, eh?

I love farmed catfish and think it is very comparable to Tilapia, actually. Non-farmed catfish tastes like mud and I will avoid that.

I still dream (really) about the grilled fish I had in Venice. Simple, with olive oil and salt. Incredible. I try to do that at home and I come nowhere close. Of course, I don't live next door to the Rialto market, either.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I love all seafood!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
"Seafood" in my own opinion, means "food that has grown in the water", and so this should include freshwater fish as well!Lifter
I have to second Lifter's definition, because my very favorite is wild trout cooked over a campfire, followed by lake perch.

Next would be Gulf shrimp. Don't like those black tiger ones that are so prevalent in the stores here.

Then salmon broiled with butter and fresh dill.

I have been trying tilapia lately and the results have been positive. Used Lifter's salt & vinegar chip "batter".
Old 12-16-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I am with Jennyema. I love it all (and good thing I live in the same state and her). For cooked seafood, lobster would be my favorite. I love all white flaky fish. I love crab, shrimp, mudbugs, tuna, calamari etc. Cooked salmon is one of my least favorite fishes, but raw it is one of my absolute favorites. I have not yet has any raw fish that I have not loved. I could live on the stuff.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'll eat just about anything that swims (that was MEANT to swim, I'm trying to head off the jokes here!) For the anglers around Lake Erie, I hear that Steelhead (Rainbow) trout are really biting right now!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

i'm hungry now. 'cept for that catfish. mud!, i say; it tastes like mud! i'm near enough erie to go fishing there, so i might try for that trout, dampcharcoal. the BF has a boat.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:57 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I like all kinds of seafood.

My favorite fish has got to be mahi mahi because it's delicious and reasonably priced. There are better fish, such as deep sea snappers, that are better but cost so much more.

Tags
None