"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Favorite Shrimp Recipe?

Anyone have a favorite shrimp recipe to share? I have about 2 lbs of frozen shrimp in the freezer I would like to cook. Don't care for hot and spicy. Scampi is a favorite, so I may try Tyler's recipe. (I like Parmesan cheese. I might sprinkle it over the cooked dish.) Also, anyone have a suggestion as to a good white wine to cook with? I know you should cook with a wine you like to drink, but don't have a favorite any more, since more than one glass makes me sneeze. Not wild about heavy sauces or deep fried when it comes to seafood. Like to taste seafood itself & just enhance the flavor.

1 pound linguini
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 shallots, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover.

When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done. Drain the pasta. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.

Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm.

Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve immediately.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Hey mish, my shrimp bisque recipe is a favourite in our house. It is pretty easy to do, and would use a bunch of those shrimp up. I always chop up more than the recipe suggests, just to make sure I get enough.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Alix, that sounds perfect. Question about the shrimp flavoring from the Mr. Noodle package? Wondering if it's similar to what we have here - Top Ramen? I've used the seasoning packet in dishes - even though I shouldn't have all that salt. The recipe looks yummy. I am saving it for a first course for a fancy shmancy dindin. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Top Ramen is the same thing. You can use whatever works for you. If sodium is a concern then use some homemade chicken/veggie stock. I have done that too. Just DON'T use beef stock. Blech.

I think it would be a lovely first course, and I have done that once or twice, but we sometimes make it our whole meal with a nice crusty loaf of bread. Mmmmmmmm.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Mish I make almost identical thing with shrimps and it is also one of my faves...
I also like the avocado-shrimp salad, they are very attractive antipasti(appetizer), or tasty filling for pita or similar flat breads...

-300g shrimp, peeled and cleaned.
-1 large ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
-handful of chives, finely chopped
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-sour cream
-white pepper

Quickly boil the shrimps (just until they take on proper colour)---chill them through the running water.
sprinkle the lemon juice over avocado, mix and coat well.
Mix shrimp, avocado and chives and toss with some mayonnaise and sour cream (roughly 1/2-1/2), dash of white pepper.
Buon Appetito
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Thumbs up My favorite would be Baked Coconut Shrimp with Curried Apricot Sauce

This is out of my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. I make it all the time.
Baked Coconut Shrimp with Curried Apricot Sauce

24 fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing(miracle whip)
3 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons cooking oil
1 1/2 cups shredded unsweeted coconut,toasted
(To toast the coconut, spread a layer of coconut onto a bakin g sheet. Bake at 350* for 5-10 minutes or untill light golen brown. Be sure to watch it carefully and stir it every once in a while so it doesn't burn.)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 slightly beaten egg whites

1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shimp(remove the black vein), leaving the tails intact. rinse shrimp, pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.

2. For the sauce mix together in a small bowl mayonnaise, apricot preserves, and curry powder. Cover and chill untill ready to use.

3. Spread the oil on the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large shallow dish combine the cornstarch, coconut, sugar, and salt. In another small shallow dish place the egg whites. Dip the shrimp in the egg whites; coat with the coconut mixture, pressing the mixture firmly onto the shrimp. Arrange shrimp in prepard pan. Bake in a 400* oven for about 10 minutes or untill shrimp are opaque and coconut in golden, turning once. Serve with the sauce.

Not only does it taste good it looks pretty.
Marishka_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #7
Master Chef
Mish, I love shrimp scampi, but I have never made it before. I have copied your recipe and as soon as I can get to town to buy the ingredients I am going to make it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Mish - I cook with a boxed wine - Chardonnay is my favorite to cook with. The box of wine will keep for a good 9 - 12 months because no air gets to it. I keep mine by my stove so it's really handy to use.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Thank you Sierra and kitchenelf.

It's hard for me to resist anything with shrimp.

Shrimp in Olive Oil and Garlic
By: The Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar

The Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar in Houston serves this savory seafood dish. Fast and easy, it features a delightful blend of flavors. Try it with saffron-flavored rice and a simple green salad.
Serves 3

2 T. olive oil
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, cleaned, and deveined
2-3 cayenne (or Thai) pepper, seeded
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
tomato slice (optional)
parsley (optional)

Sauté shrimp and peppers in hot olive oil in a large pan. As soon as shrimp turn white, stir in garlic, parsley, and salt. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Garnish with tomato and parsley, if desired, and serve hot.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
mish, you beat me to the garlic shrimp one, but here's my fave, camarones al mojo de ajo. i've made this several times, (every time was deelish) and it's an exact copy of the garlic shrimp that is served in many spanish/portugese restaurants in the ironbound section of newark.
it says to serve it with mexican rice, but it is kinda oily, so i think all of that oil soaked up into rice is gross. it's best served with crusty portugese rolls for dipping in the garlic oil, and a side of soft fried potato chips.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote