"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-13-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
Cook

Depends on if I make a chicken gumbo or seafood............I personally never mix the two. In my seafood gumbo I use a shrimp stock by boiling down the shrimp shells and heads (the heads make a MUCH better stock with their fat, just be careful and watch it as it will froth up and boil over very easily at first), if its a chicken gumbo then I use a chicken stock I make from boiling the chicken. I like to boil my chicken down real good, till you just easily pull the meat off the bones, then cook it the full length of the gumbo as well, so its real loose and falling apart everywhere.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Cook

Thanks Cantcook, I will write notes on my recipe

Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Janet, a good source for gumbo and other Louisiana food is gumbopages.com. It will give you a lot of good starting points. Cantcook has given you (and me) some very good tips.
One thing I would advise is to use something other than olive oil for the roux. A plain vegetable oil would be better IMO.
Ross
Old 05-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #14
Cook

Thanks RosCoe I will check it out
Old 06-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

agree w/ above on olive oil. Cant help but think this may have messed up the taste since you really have to burn up that flour in the first part of the roux and the olive oil will impart a taste.

I think the combo of shrimp w/ the sausage would work fine as would the chicken and sausage. For example Shrimp and grits w/ a little bacon worked in is a fine dish. I think it's mixing all three that might have been a problem.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

Ok, I'm from Illinois, but I did live on the bayous for a couple of years, and I found that gumbo is extremely versatile. Just like a soup or stew, you put in whatever you have on hand.

I always use chicken and good smoked sausage, then go from there. I start the day before, and boil my chicken like can'tcook, till the meat is falling off the bone. I strain the stock, bone and chop the chicken, then save it and the broth separately in the fridge. When I'm ready to use the stock, I skim the fat off the top if I'm feeling health conscious. If I have shrimp shells in the freezer, I boil up some of them and add that broth to the chicken broth.
We're so landlocked here that I don't have access to much fresh seafood, so I usually use shrimp and crabmeat. I think the seafood and chicken go together just fine, but that's what I'm used to.

I don't use okra or tomatoes in mine, but I've tasted it that way, and it's good too.

I always use vegetable oil for the roux, but I've known people who used lard or butter.

I have trouble standing long anymore, and what I used to cook in one day now takes me two days or more. I've considered making my roux the day before while my chicken is cooking, then refrigerating it and putting it all together the next day.
Have any of you ever tried that?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #17

Constance, if you don't consider it sacrilege, you could always use a bottled roux. I know many Cajuns who do! And there's no shortage of brands on the grocery store shelves. Makes it easier on you and tastes just as good.

http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=4

http://www.cajungrocer.com/advanced_...?keywords=roux
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM   #18
Master Chef

HanArt, I used to think I'd never serve my family a canned bisquit or instant mashed potatoes, but time changes things a lot. Thanks for the hint on the bottled roux...I'll give it a try!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I just found this thread on Google and I'm going to share what I know about Gumbo.

1. Like others have stated Vegetable Oil is the best to use for a Roux, of course for mine I prefer using bacon grease, I know it isn't healthy, but it does add a whole new layer of flavor to the gumbo. Also I do not recommend using real butter, just because at the heat that you cook a roux on, it will burn easily and add a bitter flavor.

2. I've had every kind of gumbo known to man, seafood, chicken and sausage, okra, okra seafood and I've had a chicken and sausage with seafood in it and it was delicious. In fact my last gumbo contained chicken, sausage, shrimp and oysters and it was one of the best gumbos I've ever cooked.

3. Under no circumstances should you put tomatoes in a gumbo, that is for jambalaya or etouffee.

4. If you are using okra as your thickener, you shouldn't use filé powder.

Now, please under no circumstances should you take what I just said to the bank, but in the area I grew up in (south of New Orleans) that is how we were taught to cook a gumbo.

Also I've tried other meats in my gumbo and it always came out delicious, I once made one with smoked sausage and stew meat and I'm seriously thinking of making one with some leftover thanksgiving turkey and some leftover bbq'd smoked sausage (bbq sauceless) I have in the refrigerator right now.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

Sounds like you make my kind of gumbo! In Gonzales, where "Uncle Elmer" lived, they didn't put tomatoes in their jambalya, either.

Tags
None