"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
maris piper make great chips, but any really starchy spud will do the trick, it`s also best to pich the unwashed "dirty" potatoes too, not the ones that are pre-washed, as the starches turn to sugars and you`re left with a limp soggy chip.
it`s important that when they`re peeled you wash the starch off and dry them well, and then Blanch them on a lower temp than you`de fry them at, they`re done when you can squish them between your fingers.
at this stage you can leave them out to cool or even refrigerate/freeze them.
the next step is to crank up the oil heat and finish them off, to golden brown, they should make a nice rustling sound when shook in the basket.
drain on kitchen towel and serve up :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef

dumb question...but is an idaho/russett potato just a generic baking potato?

u all have me jonezing for some fish and chips, so i think im gonna try andy's recipie tonight!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
Sous Chef

also..what kind (if any) of dip or sauce do is used (traditionaly) for the fish? tar tar??
Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
Executive Chef

salt and malt vinigar then wrapped up in Newspaper is the Correct way.

Trust me, I`m an Englishman, we Know these things ;)

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Sous Chef

hey YT...can u plz clarify tihs:

it`s also best to pich the unwashed "dirty" potatoes too, not the ones that are pre-washed"

what do u mean my pich...throw out??
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
Executive Chef

it was a Typo (sorry) it should be "PICK" my bad :)

Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Why is it that all the red, white, fingerling, yukon, and purple potatoes are cleaned up and displayed in the produce cases, while the poor lowly russet potatoes are just piled up in a bin on the floor, all covered with dirt, slashed by the potato digger's spade, looking all embarrassed to even be there?

Here is my favorite beer batter for the fish part (I think Pacific red snapper is best!) of fish & chips:

Beer Batter

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs
12 ounces beer (I use Corona because poeople keep bringing it to my house, and I can't stand drinking it!)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients in large bowl, beat until smooth. Allow to settle for about 15 minutes, then dredge each fillet in flour, dip into batter to coat, GENTLY place in a deep fryer with oil heated to 360F and fry until golden brown and crisp.

As far as the chips go, find symetrical russet pottoes, peel, and cut into strips the length of the potato, about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch thick. Deep fry at 330F until cooked through, then remove from oil and allow to cool. Reset oil temperature to 375 F, then refry cooled potatoes until golden brown.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Use regular Idaho potatoes for your chips. I like to cut mine about 1/2 an inch wide, and about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch thick. You're going to blanch them in 250 degree oil so that the outside doesn't crisp but the inside cooks through. Let them cool, and prepare your fish in the meantime. To finish your fries, cook them in 350 degree oil until crispy.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Senior Cook

my first attempt

Here it is:

So what do you guys think? Did i do alright. I found out good cod was really hard to find around here. We have some specialized fish chops but i didn't go there. Anyways i went to a bigger grocery store here that is known to have things that most of the other stores don't have. I did find fresh cold fillets but they were $8.00 a pound...i was like WOW. I might as well ordered lobster. Anyways i did buy it because i didn't want my attempt to be screwed by the fact that i had bad fish. I kind of used a combination of recipes: Part AB Recipe, Part Tyler Florence, and part of a recipe i found on recipezaar. I used mostly guidlines from AB recipe but i used coating the fish in rice flour from tyler and i added malt vinegar to the batter like the recipe on recipezaar called for.

Unbenounced to me i actually like malt vinegar on the fish more than lemon. I could tell i bought good quality fish because it was nice and flakey and didn't have any after taste at all. I think the batter turned out nice but im thinking maybe i would like soda water/seltzer even better.

As you can tell in the picture the potatoes are quite dark but this is the way i lilke them. I like them as crispy as i can get them.

Ncage
Old 03-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

The fish and chips look great. How did they taste?

Tags
None