"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fish Cakes, Yooper Style

New England is famous for its fish cakes, usually made from cod. But we just can't get them around here. So, I had to make some with a freshwater species of fish. They came out really good, and so, as always, I share. For those of you who live far from the ocean, here is a recipe that uses freshwater fish to make a very tasty, and moist fishcake.

Fishcakes, Yooper Style
These fishcakes can be made with whitefish, herring, or bass, or pike. I made them with whitefish this morning as I was asked to come up with a recipe for a cookbook for an organization. As ingredient lists can't be copyrighted, here it is, with fresh instructions on how to make them. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
¾ lb Whitefish Fillet
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3 tbs. milk
½ tsp. Granulated Garlic or ¾ tsp. freshly minced Garlic
¾ tsp. Granulated Onion Powder or 2 tbs. Freshly minced Onion
½ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp. fresh basil
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 large egg
1/8 cup all purpose Flour
1/8 cup dried Bread Crumbs
3 tbs. Cooking Oil

Makes three generous fish patties.

Remove the skin from the whitefish fillet and inspect for, and remove any bones. Use the skin to make cacklin's.

Chop the whitefish into small chunks and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir until all is mixed. You want the mixture to still be chunky.

Heat three tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan over medium heat. Turn heat setting to low. Place three heaping teaspoons of the fish mixture into the pan and press out like a hamburger patty. Cook for four minutes. Flip and cook another four minutes.

The cooked patty can be served alongside your favorite sides, or on a but with mayo, tartar sauce, or ketchup. It's also great with tartar sauce on one side and a good slaw on the other. Another way to serve this is to break up the cooked patty and place in a softened corn tortilla with peppers, and hot sauce to make a fish taco.

As always, I recommend that you make the original, and then addjust the seasonings to your taste. Maybe add some dill weed, or tarragon, or both. You might like a little lemon or lime juice mixed in as well.

If you like fish, but not that strong, fishy flavor, then this will be perfect for you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'll be making these! Thanks Goodweed!

Tags
egg, flour, recipe, whitefish or bass

Fish Cakes, Yooper Style New England is famous for its fish cakes, usually made from cod. But we just can't get them around here. So, I had to make some with a freshwater species of fish. They came out really good, and so, as always, I share. For those of you who live far from the ocean, here is a recipe that uses freshwater fish to make a very tasty, and moist fishcake. Fishcakes, Yooper Style These fishcakes can be made with whitefish, herring, or bass, or pike. I made them with whitefish this morning as I was asked to come up with a recipe for a cookbook for an organization. As ingredient lists can't be copyrighted, here it is, with fresh instructions on how to make them. Enjoy.:smile: Ingredients: ¾ lb Whitefish Fillet 1 tsp Kosher Salt 3 tbs. milk ½ tsp. Granulated Garlic or ¾ tsp. freshly minced Garlic ¾ tsp. Granulated Onion Powder or 2 tbs. Freshly minced Onion ½ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning 1/4 tsp. fresh basil 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional) 1 large egg 1/8 cup all purpose Flour 1/8 cup dried Bread Crumbs 3 tbs. Cooking Oil Makes three generous fish patties. Remove the skin from the whitefish fillet and inspect for, and remove any bones. Use the skin to make cacklin's. Chop the whitefish into small chunks and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir until all is mixed. You want the mixture to still be chunky. Heat three tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan over medium heat. Turn heat setting to low. Place three heaping teaspoons of the fish mixture into the pan and press out like a hamburger patty. Cook for four minutes. Flip and cook another four minutes. The cooked patty can be served alongside your favorite sides, or on a but with mayo, tartar sauce, or ketchup. It's also great with tartar sauce on one side and a good slaw on the other. Another way to serve this is to break up the cooked patty and place in a softened corn tortilla with peppers, and hot sauce to make a fish taco. As always, I recommend that you make the original, and then addjust the seasonings to your taste. Maybe add some dill weed, or tarragon, or both. You might like a little lemon or lime juice mixed in as well. If you like fish, but not that strong, fishy flavor, then this will be perfect for you. Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews