"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #21
Head Chef

Now I remember why I keep stopping posting here.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #22
Wine Guy

These are the US GOVERNMENT's food safety recommendations. I didn't pull them out of my backside. Canada has similar recommendations. Last I checked, I don't live in the UK. If your government has different ideas about food safety, and you choose to follow those guidelines, then so be it.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sorry, Charlie, it is certainly NOT safe to defrost and re-freeze anything without cooking it.
Sorry Mad Cook but you are entirely wrong about that.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can certainly understand having stricter rules for restos. If they thawed and refroze food, how would anyone know how many times they had done that?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I recently defrosted some ground pork. I didn't have the energy to do anything with it for a few days. We refroze it and marked on the package that it had been defrosted, so we would know that once it was defrosted again, it would have to be used immediately.

I always count the time food spends defrosting in the fridge as "fresh days". If it already sat in the fridge for 3 days and it had a use by date giving 5 days, I would make sure to use it within 2 days of taking it out of the freezer.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I always count the time food spends defrosting in the fridge as "fresh days". If it already sat in the fridge for 3 days and it had a use by date giving 5 days, I would make sure to use it within 2 days of taking it out of the freezer.
What a great idea! I'm always worried about meat spoiling after I've defrosted it... and hubby is notorious for changing his mind on dinner once I've defrosted something. I usually just give it the sniff test after a few days.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

When the fish are caught at sea, they are gutted and tossed down below into one of the bins. As soon as there is a good think layer of cleaned fish, a thick layer of ice is tossed on it. Come the next couple of layers, more ice. By the time the fish reach the dock and are unloaded, they have been sitting there on ice and frozen for a minimum of five days. More like 15 days. Depends on the size of the boat. They are unloaded, processed for auction and sold. The stores and restaurants that buy the fish, again freeze their buy. The fish are still partially frozen from being on the boat. During the auction, the fish are sitting in bins that are filled with ice to keep the fish "fresh" and frozen. Believe me, by the time those fish reach your plate, they have been partially thawed and refrozen more than once. The freshest fish you can possibly buy is from the boats that make day trips out and back. Be at the dock around three in the afternoon and see if they will sell you their catch. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

On some fishing boats/ships, the fish are frozen before they return.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
On some fishing boats/ships, the fish are frozen before they return.
On some of the larger boats, they are frozen anywhere from five to fifteen days. The ones in the very first bin at the bottom have been frozen the longest. Each bin is six feet high, and there are five-six bins on each three man boat. The five to ten man boats are out for fifteen days and have many more bins with more ice to freeze them.

My husband would on the very last catch, find the biggest Haddock in the net. He would filet it for me and cut it up into serving size pieces. Sometimes it was as much as ten to 15 pounds of ready to eat fresh off the boat. He would bring it home, I would egg and bread it, then fry every bit of it. It didn't matter if it was one pound or 15 pounds. That whole platter of fried fish was completely gone by the end of the meal. Never any leftovers for the next day.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanitas View Post
What a great idea! I'm always worried about meat spoiling after I've defrosted it... and hubby is notorious for changing his mind on dinner once I've defrosted something. I usually just give it the sniff test after a few days.
Hmmm... If I've defrosted and planned a meal, and my wife decides that isn't what she wants that evening, then she can cook her own dinner. I sometimes consult with her before I get something out of the freezer, but after that I'm locked in.

I will particularly ask her before I thaw any fish, because she goes through periods where any kind of fish actually makes her nauseated. It's all in her head and she knows it, but that doesn't help. Just like her acrophobia, she knows that there is no danger on the 3rd rung of a ladder, but that doesn't make it any less impossible for her to step up to the 4th one.

Tags
fish, other