"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Hmmm... If I've defrosted and planned a meal, and my wife decides that isn't what she wants that evening, then she can cook her own dinner. I sometimes consult with her before I get something out of the freezer, but after that I'm locked in.

I will particularly ask her before I thaw any fish, because she goes through periods where any kind of fish actually makes her nauseated. It's all in her head and she knows it, but that doesn't help. Just like her acrophobia, she knows that there is no danger on the 3rd rung of a ladder, but that doesn't make it any less impossible for her to step up to the 4th one.

Heh. If DH doesn't want what I'm cooking, particularily following consultation, he's on his own. There's Cheerios readily available. Have at it.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #32
Master Chef

I've never known my Souschef to change his mind about what's for dinner after it's been planned. He's probably worried I'd go on strike.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Before grocery shopping, I try to create a menu for the week and consult with SO as I do so. She usually asks each AM what's for dinner. If I can be flexible as to which weekly menu item I can cook, I do so. If she's still not happy, I suggest she buy take-out for us. Then she usually settles for one of the dishes on the menu.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #34
Head Chef

I live alone a cook for myself. If that changed and then somebody told me not to make this but make that instead I'm pretty sure I'd be back to cooking for myself real quick.
On the other hand though, I change my own mind all the time.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I married a strange creature... he talks big about making and sticking to "weekly menus", but as the week progresses he changes his mind from day to day. Being as I hate food waste, the meat gets used - just not necessarily in it's intended recipe.

He's very wishy-washy when it comes to fish... I only recently convinced him to even eat it. I'm so glad to know it can be refrozen!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Just to be clear.

If a protein (fish, meat, poultry) has a safe life of three days refrigerated, that's the limit. If you freeze it then defrost it, the three day timer doesn't start over. Safety isn't an issue but texture will suffer. Freezing and defrosting damages cells causing them to release moisture. The cooked product will be drier and texture change could be noticeable.

However, freezing contaminated protein won't eliminate the contamination. You could safely defrost contaminated protein, cook and eat it and get sick even though you treated it safely. That could lead you to believe it was the defrosting and refrigeration was the cause of the illness.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just to be clear.

If a protein (fish, meat, poultry) has a safe life of three days refrigerated, that's the limit. If you freeze it then defrost it, the three day timer doesn't start over. Safety isn't an issue but texture will suffer. Freezing and defrosting damages cells causing them to release moisture. The cooked product will be drier and texture change could be noticeable.

However, freezing contaminated protein won't eliminate the contamination. You could safely defrost contaminated protein, cook and eat it and get sick even though you treated it safely. That could lead you to believe it was the defrosting and refrigeration was the cause of the illness.
How very well said Andy. My father taught me the same, but you said it perfectly.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heh. If DH doesn't want what I'm cooking, particularily following consultation, he's on his own. There's Cheerios readily available. Have at it.
Nothing wrong with cereal for supper. Great for a late Sunday supper.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Be nice! and Let's get back on topic. The OP was trying to figure out how to safely store her fish, she lives here in the states.

Tags
fish, other