"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I've found that if fish smells/tastes "fishy" at all, it's just not fresh. My husband even refused to eat some expensive ahi after tasting it because he thought it was too fishy.

I prefer firmer fishes - salmon, tuna, halibut, swordfish. Do you like canned tuna?

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sararwelch
Do you like canned tuna?
I bet I can answer that!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Find a good seafood restaurant. If you are anywhere near the water, go there, there's bound to be plenty of places. Then, talk. Get the chef to come out if you have to...but talk. The very idea of having a 'virgin' palate will excite any chef.

Tell them what your experience is, and what you like in the way of seasoning and herbs.

Cod or flounder will be a good place to start. Monkfish is magnificent. If you like shrimp and crab, you'll probably like lobster. You'd probably like calamari, too.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Fresh Cod, Haddock,Tilapia, Flounder...broiled, fried, baked, etc. is what I would recommend....

In time you will find a favorite.....

If it swims...I love it!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates
I just got back from the market and I decided I would start off my cooking adventure with seafood SLOW. I got some fresh Tiger Shrimp and I will be sauteeing them in clarified butter and garlic for tonights appetizer.

I didnt find any Haddock, maybe it's not very common around here. I did see Cod, however, so maybe next time I will get some of that!

Thanks so much for all of the tips!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Cod & Haddock are big east coast fish - I'm not sure about their availability (and freshness) out west.

Sadly, even most grocery stores carry fish that isn't quite fresh. Ask the person at the counter when the fish was actually caught (not when they received it). If they can't answer that, then go somewhere else. Smell the raw fish... if it smells like "fish", then go somewhere else. Fish should smell like clean water with a hint of ocean breeze (not briny/fishy).

The more simple a dish, the more difficult it is to pull it off with perfection, as there is less pizaz to cover up any mistakes. Find a reference or benchmark by eating some fish dishes in good restaurants.

I love sushi made with fish, but many people are put off by the texture of raw fish. I usually start people with "Unagi" (oddly enough, a fatty and strong flavored Eel, but cooked/dressed in a way that many newcomers enjoy) and spicy tuna rolls (cubes of tuna dressed in a spicy mayo). For their first piece of raw fish, I usually tell people to try Tuna and Yellowtail (different from yellowfin).

By the way, I absolutely despise canned tuna as well. Smells like catfood to me!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #17
DC Grandma

Silly question but here goes...Have you tried eating at the Tides in Badoga Bay? My sis and bro. in law have a place in Bodaga Bay but since I don't care for fish I can't tell you how good it is there.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinemates
I just got back from the market and I decided I would start off my cooking adventure with seafood SLOW. I got some fresh Tiger Shrimp and I will be sauteeing them in clarified butter and garlic for tonights appetizer.

I didnt find any Haddock, maybe it's not very common around here. I did see Cod, however, so maybe next time I will get some of that!

Thanks so much for all of the tips!
Remember that lemon helps "de-fish" fish Or lime - I LOVE lime over lemon most of the time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Actually, even though both cod (& flounder) are considered east coast fish, the winter months are definitely considered their "season", so now is the best time to buy them regardless of where you live.

Uncle Bob said it best - stick with "white" fish like cod, haddock, flounder, tilapia - heck, even trout. Swordfish, shark, & tuna are also mild & good, & take very very well to marinades & broiling/grilling. Try different recipes & methods.

BUT - THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT OF ALL????? The fish should be FRESH!!! Fresh fish should not smell offensively "fishy". There will probably be a light fish/briney scent, but it definitely should not be offensive.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to stinemates Send a message via MSN to stinemates Send a message via Yahoo to stinemates Send a message via Skype™ to stinemates

That was my first attempt at home, garnished with basil and a hint of lime juice. It was a little crunchy, but made the house smell good. I am about to get started on the rest of dinner. We'll see!

Tags
None