Fish -- how can you like it?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the best beverages to serve with fish? A side dish besides salad? And a dessert that doen't clash with the beverage?
People here love Red Lobster. Many of the chinese restaurants are serving coconut shrimp.
I think the supermarkets donated their lobster tanks to the pet aquarium.
That fishy smell is old stale fish. Fresh and/or salt water fish have a unique smell that is good.
Fish sticks are just getting so skimmpy; it's like trying to find decent steak fingers.
It's not fish you're longing for; it's a VACATION!!!!

I'm not fond of alot of fish but I do like haddock, cod, and talapia. They are all mild and on the sweet side. As for the beverage to serve with the fish, I used to watch a cook on TV named Justin Wilson- I think he was from Louisiana. He used to say when serving wine don't worry about what goes together. If you like it, then it's OK to serve.

StirBlue:

As far as beverages, like anything else, it depends on the complete dish, not the ingredients. And it also boils down to what you like, is the best beverage to serve.

But that said, choosing beverages for fish dishes is really no different than choosing beverages for any other dish. Personally, I like a good beer with "fish & chips"; a nice dry white with most delicate "white" fish dishes involving sole/flounder, fancy crabmeat, etc., etc.; dry red wines with tomato-based fish dishes like Cioppino & even Paella.

But again - it's totally personal preference.

As far as "side dishes" with fish - that's an absolutely impossible question because again - it depends on what type of fish you're making & how you're making it. Completely. There's no way to answer that - the list is just as extensive as if you were talking about beef, lamb, or pork.

As far as "Red Lobster" goes - I haven't been to one in years, although they're all over the place here in Virginia. Red Lobster is the one & only place I EVER got sick from eating a lobster. And growing up on the water in Long Island, NY, I've eaten a LOT of lobster in my time. Never ate at a Red Lobster again.

Re: fish sticks. I consider them "comfort food" - especially if they're served with boxed "macaroni & cheese" - lol!! However, these days I usually make my own "fish sticks" using cod cut into "fingers", breading & baking them.

I have been thinking about making fish sticks for a while. I was considering using minced fish bits and a few other things that I'm not sure of exactly. Sometimes I keep stuff like this on the backburner for months before I know exactly how to make it.

stinemates said:
Ah I have had some Maguro Nigiri (Tuna) and it was OK. The oily aftertaste wasn't so exciting, however. I saw Alton make a seared tuna with sesame seeds, that looked REALLY good but canned Tuna makes me want to vomit (seriously, gagging and all) so I am afraid to try it.

Tuna is a rather strong fish. BTW, even my cat won't eat canned tuna, not even the expensive stuff! :LOL:

What looks good (especially on a cooking show!) isn't always what will suit your palate. :) I agree with what others have said. Cod is a very mild white fish. I'd start with that.

Now the pressing question becomes how to prepare it. Do you want it breaded, or battered, and fried? If fried, deep fried or simply pan-fried (which may involve a light breading)? Or pan seared (no breading)? Broiled? Grilled? Steamed or poached? Baked and served with a sauce? Fish can get complicated. But once you discover what you like (or IF you like), the possibilities are endless! There's no law that says you must like fish, but I would find my world sadly lacking without it.

Fraidy

Not everybody has to like the same thing. I grew up in rural Oklahoma eating crayfish, catfish, sunfish, bluegills, crappies and occasionally bass because they were what my friends and I caught in the local waters. I didn't particularly like any salt water fish because it tasted "funny" to me. Now, after living on the Atlantic seaboard for more than 40 years it's the salt water fish I like and the fresh water fish that taste "funny."

"There are so many different types of fish that all taste so different. Saying you don't like fish is like saying you don't like music. Maybe you don't like classical music, but hip hop may be more your style."

What an excellent way of putting it GB, our fish is very mild compared to what you have over there especially our Coral Trout. Even Cod is strong compared to Coral Trout so I can't throw much in to the wring. One thing that most Aussies will not accept is fish cooked with the skin on, if I were to do that my sales would crash out.
For a light batter to use at home you might like to try just some beaten egg with a tad of milk in it. Dredge the fish through flour first, then the egg and pan fry.
Naturally beer is the preferred drink to have with fish and chips [I have it all the time ;) ]
As far as eating fish goes, once a day for me and I don't care whether it comes out of a can or not, if it swims in the ocean, I'll try it ----- and I cook fish and chips for a living.

Veloce said:
Not everybody has to like the same thing. I grew up in rural Oklahoma eating crayfish, catfish, sunfish, bluegills, crappies and occasionally bass because they were what my friends and I caught in the local waters. I didn't particularly like any salt water fish because it tasted "funny" to me. Now, after living on the Atlantic seaboard for more than 40 years it's the salt water fish I like and the fresh water fish that taste "funny."
Veloce, our Barramundi live in both salt water and fresh water, to bring the fresh water ones flavour back we soak the fillets [skinless] in a salty brine over night in the fridge. A white scum forms on the water surface and I guess this is the fat leeching out but the "salt water fish" flavour returns. I do not know if this would change the flavour of fish that live in fresh water only but it could be worth a try

That looks fine....pass the well done please. I think your on to a good start and a wonderful finish.

Back
Top Bottom