Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,
At the Fish Market, PLAICE is the fresh catch of the day ... Thus, dinner this evening is:
BAKED PLAICE WITH MUSHROOMS AND CREAM
1/2 stick butter ( 4 tablespoons )
1/2 pound fresh White Cap Mushrooms or Ceps or Chantarelle Variety
1/4 cup Cognac or Brandy
1/2 cup crushed tomato coulis
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme herb
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Two pieces of Plaice, Flounder, Turbot, Perch, Carp, Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Gilt Head or other firm white fish variety
1. preheat broiler
2. melt 2 tblsps butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat
3. add the washed and cleaned sliced mushrooms and sauté until golden about 7 minutes
4. add the Cognac or Brandy and simmer until liquid reduces to a glaze
5. add the tomato coulis, cream and herb thyme and dried thyme
6. simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often and season with freshly ground black pepper and salt
7. melt the 2 remaining 2 tblsps of butter in another large skillet
8. season fish filletes with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add fish to skillet.
9. sauté 3 minutes per side
10. transfer the fish filletes to a broiler proof cooking vessel and sprinkle a little French cheese: French Raclett or French Emmenthal or French Swiss Gruyère or Montcharet Goat cheese and broil 2 minutes and the cheese shall melt ...
Serve with a white wine of choice and crusty warm oven bread ... a French Style Baguette ... CANDLE LIGHT ...
This is a lovely light dinner and / or lunch for two !
Written by: Margi Cintrano.