"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #31
Master Chef

If you're watching calories and want flavor but not an overly fish-tasting dish I totally agree with using tilapia as well as orange roughy. . Both lend themselves well to broiling, baking, and micowaving. I prefer broiling myself. I brush a little olive oil on both sides and then sprinkle both sides with Lawry's Perfect Blend Seasoning and Rub for Fish. Broil and then lightly squeeze a bit of lemon juice over them. Light and delicious! Serve with plain rice , steamed asparagus, and a salad, and you will do your diet no harm.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I'm going to try your recipe for the fish. That sounds good!

Old 04-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #33
Master Chef

Here is a fish salsa recipe that is very delicious served with grilled, broiled, or baked fish and is especially GREAT on grilled salmon. I served it to a real fish-phobic and she loved it. Just garnish your fish with it after you cook it and you're in for a real treat.

Salmon With Ginger Salsa (but it goes well with other firm-fleshed fish as well--tuna, mahi-mahi, swordfish, sea bass, halibut, red snapper)

2 peaches or mangoes, I've only used mangos because they are cheap here
1 large tomato, chopped (omit juice)
4 scallions (green onions) chopped
2 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped (to your taste--I love it--hubby doesn't)compromise
2 Tbsp. FRESH, peeled,-- ginger root, finely minced (powder will NOT due)you can freeze this baby, by the way, and it's great chopped up and boiled in water for 5 minutes for an upset stomach--forget Pepto-Bismol--this is why people drink ginger-ale for an upset stomach

1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

###for you spicy people you could also add a bit of fresh chopped jalapeno but that's at your discretion and dependent on how hot your jalapenos are--ours at the grocer's have become "wimpy"

In a bowl, mix the first six ingredients together to make the salsa. Drizzle a bit of lemon juice over the fillets after you have grilled, broiled, or baked them and then serve with the salsa. Yum!
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Fish recipes

Having grown up in Florida, right on the Gulf of Mexico, has spoiled me. The availability of fresh seafood and fish is amazing. Yet, we rarely buy it. Right now I have some tilapia filets in the freezer and about 5 lbs. of shrimp too. Maybe it's time to whip them out and do something with them.

Grilled Fish with Brazilian Garlic Marinade

Recipe From: The Barbecue Bible.

6 cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
1/2 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1/2 red sweet pepper, cored and seeded
2 Tblsp. olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 Tblsp. ketchup
2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly snipped cilantro
1-1/2 lb. fish steak or fillets, such as sea bass, swordfish, tuna, or salmon -- cut 1" thick

For marinade, combine the garlic, onion, red pepper, oil, wine, ketchup, paprika, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and stir in cilantro. Add the fish, spooning marinade over fish. Marinate in refrigerator for 2-4 hours, turning occasionally. Drain fish, reserving marinade. Grill fish on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 5 minutes. Turn fish and brush with reserved marinade. Grill 3-7 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

SPICY GRILLED CATFISH

2 Tblsp. lime juice
1/2 cup white wine
1 Tblsp. dry mustard
1 Tblsp. chili powder
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt, optional
1 lb. catfish fillets
1 Tblsp. olive oil

Mix together lime juice, wine, mustard, chili powder, pepper, cilantro and salt, in a medium bowl. Add catfish to bowl and marinate for 15 minutes, then drain fillets.
Prepare a grill or preheat the broiler. Lightly oil grill or broiler rack pan. Grill or broil fillets about 4 inches from heat source about 5 minutes a side or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Baste with marinade while cooking. Makes 4 servings.

Source: Houston Chronicle - 3/8/00

Rex's Baked Grouper

Recipe by Mrs. June Harrison. From Beyond the Bay, A Collection of Recipes. By the Jr. Service League of Panama City, FL.

2 lbs. fillet of grouper, skinned (or you can use tilapia)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Butter or margarine
3 Tblsp. lemon juice
3 Tblsp. chopped scallion tops
Dash of Tabasco
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Paprika

Wash fillets and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper on fish and arrange in buttered baking dish in a single layer. Mix remaining ingredients except paprika. Spread over fillets. Sprinkle with paprika and bake at 375° F. for 15 minutes. Place under broiler a few minutes to brown. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Pineapple glazed salmon

Jay’s Pineapple glaze/ syrup –
excellent for Pork tenderloin, easter ham, Salmon, turkey, pancakes…just about anything

1 fresh pineapple
2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves

In a medium sauce pan, combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Bring to a slow boil. Turn down heat as it comes to a boil, or the foam on top will boil over and make a HUGE sticky mess. Use a fat skimmer to remove the foam and impurities that rise to the top. After the foaming stops, turn up heat a bit to get to a steady boil. Boil until reduced by ½ and let cool. The remaining product should be a thick syrup.

Ever wonder why pacific islanders, such as Samoans, are so darn big? The fresh pineapple has certain nutrients that are excellent for repairing damaged muscle tissue, but these nutrients dissipate within ½ hour of cutting the pineapple from outside of its husk. So be sure to serve the fresh pineapple within ½ hour from the time you make the first cut into the husk of the pineapple.

If using as a syrup, and diced fresh pineapple to the mixture and serve immediately.

If using as a glaze, add the diced pineapple to the mixture and coat the meat during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking. Garnish meat with slices/rings of the fresh pineapple and serve immediately.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I'd really like to know more about the system you and your wife created, if you don't mind sharing. I'm a diabetic looking for reasonable ways to have a wide variety of foods that appeal to my taste buds.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arreana View Post
I'd really like to know more about the system you and your wife created, if you don't mind sharing. I'm a diabetic looking for reasonable ways to have a wide variety of foods that appeal to my taste buds.
Which post are you asking for more info on? There are almost 20,000 posts in this thread.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Which post are you asking for more info on? There are almost 20,000 posts in this thread.
20,000?? If I hover over a page number it says 37 posts.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
20,000?? If I hover over a page number it says 37 posts.
Oops, my mistake, I was looking at views...need...more...coffee
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oops, my mistake, I was looking at views...need...more...coffee
I need more coffee too. Where do you see views? Is that in some listing of posts?

Tags
None