"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Fish recipes for people who don't like fish

Sounds odd but we're trying to eat as healthy as possible and there are some good side effects from Salmon and other fishes.

The problem is, I don't like fish unless its fried and even then I'm not excited about it, but obviously that defeats the purpose.

We eat low fat but not fat free. We will make a more rich dinner as long as we offset it during other meals, same goes for sodium so nothing that involves heavy sauces or dripping in butter.

Alot of Chicken and Piedmontese beef has been fantastic for us. We have alot of Middle Eastern salads and prefer olive oil over butter.

Fish is what we are missing...we've tried Tuna Steaks, Swordfish, etc but I just can't get past a few bites without the taste starting to bother me.

So any suggestions? Only requirements are that the portion size is around 4-5g saturated fat and sodium under 1000mg. Those numbers are still pretty high but for the once a week we might have it I can cut down during lunch or breakfast to still hit our targets.

Love spicey food and willing to try anything. The wife loves fish of all kinds so this is just for my consideration.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If you aren't mad about the 'fish taste', you would enjoy tilapia. It has a wonderful taste, but not "fishy". Part of my family almost refuse to eat fish, but love that.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thats it, its the fish taste.

Its not even the fact I don't care for it. I don't care for Chicken either, unless its drenched in something bad for me, but I eat it.

Fish taste just gets me almost to the point of gagging after eating more than a few bites.

We'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

fish responds well to a teriaki marinade, a Thai peanut sauce, and curry. Broiling fish with such sauces is a quick and flavorful way to go. serve with couscous or brown rice and a favorite greens. quite good.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Master Chef

you can also rub just about any fish, even the bad fishy, dirty tasting ones with this. You will be very surprised. I use it right before I bread for frying. Let the rub set for the time it takes to heat the oil and then, leaving a thin layer on it, bread as normal. We use Bass pro shop's seasoned package.

1/2 yellow mustard ans 1/2 Frank's hot sauce. I don't know where you are, but, here we have sand bass that is really fishy and I can't eat it.....UNTIL, I tried this. It takes out the dirty taste.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

tex, is yellow mustard something special?
and I asked Frank about his Sauce, but he says it doesn't fit with fish...
so what is Frank's sauce?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I've use the terryaki sauce like Robo mentioned, along with some scallions and it tastes great. Go easy on the terryaki because it contains sodium I think, but you dont need much, maybe one tablespoon per serving. I like franks hot sauce too, like texasgirl mentioned, though I havent tried it on salmon/other fish.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

How about a fish stew? There are some real good ones loaded with veggies and they can be spicy too. There are often times lots of flavors going on in stews like that so the flavor you don't like could be masked enough that you might not notice it.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

Eric,

I'm a former non-fish-eater, but I absolutely LOVE this recipe by Tyler Florence. It works well with halibut, haddock, cod, tilapia, and any WHITE fish. Delicious!

I also adore deep-fried fish and chips, but maybe that doesn't fit in with your dietary plans.

Lee

Halibut, Prosciutto, Capers – Tyler Florence

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground salt and pepper
2 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 slices prosciutto, cut into strips
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus whole sprigs, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the flour on a deep plate or in a shallow bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour. Put a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and the butter and get the skillet hot. Add the fillets and cook until browned on 1 side, 2 to 3 minutes. At the same time, add the prosciutto and cook, stirring, to brown. Then flip the fish, put the skillet in the oven, and roast until the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Remove the fish to 2 serving plates. Dump the prosciutto out onto paper towels to drain. Put the skillet back over medium heat. Add another tablespoon olive oil, the white wine, lemon juice, capers, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the parsley and bring to a boil; boil until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the fish, top with the prosciutto, and serve immediately.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

You might try this recipe from Epicurious for Honey-Ginger Salmon...pretty spicy if you increase the chipotle chiles -- no fat and I'm thinking very low sodium but it may depend on what brand of hoisin sauce you buy. I usually make extra sauce and put it over rice; I line my baking pan with foil, too, helps with clean-up:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ews/views/5908

Tags
None