"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
How about oyster sauce? The flavour is pleasant and enriches many oriental dishes. I think they are fairly readily available, too.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Master Chef

While it does have a unique flavor - high-quality fish sauce is NOT fishy!!! Not in the very least.

If you can't find it, just sub some light (aka Japanese) soy sauce. It won't be authentic, but will serve the same purpose.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
How about oyster sauce? The flavour is pleasant and enriches many oriental dishes. I think they are fairly readily available, too.
That would make a Thai dish taste chinese. IMO oyster sauce and curry paste, lime, etc are not good partners.

Soy sauce would be closer, IMO, but the end result will be decidedly lacking in authentic flavor.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

I agree with Three Crabs, jennyema, and any other brand that has an anchovies base. Get thee to thy internet online shopping!!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Head Chef

Another country heard from: I hate the stuff and it sure tastes fishy to me!

Lee
Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
...Just a question for you: if you can get red curry paste how come you can't get fish sauce? ...
jennyema, I can't get red curry paste either. I can get yellow powdered curry and do tend to use it often in different dishes so it [red curry paste] sounds like something I would use more of (and quite frankly, something that sounds better!) so I was going to search on line and order some.

My misconception with fish sauce is two fold ...

First, I thought it was "stuff" that would go bad once opened which made me hesitant to order it since I only need 2 tbls. However, if it will keep forever, I'm more open to the idea of ordering it.

Secondly, the name makes it sound, well, gross. I each oysters fresh from the shell, all sorts of sashimi and sushi and use anchovies in a variety of recipes but "fish sauce" - ewwww. But if the majority of you are saying it's not really that fishy then, again, I'm more open to trying it.

Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you to everyone's wonderful perspectives (i'm certainly open to more if people want to share)! I appreciate your advice and will let you know how the recipe turns out.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

By all means order up some real Thai curry paste. The yellow powder couldn't be more different than what your recipe requires.

There are many different varieties of curry paste and they are widely available on the internet.

Also, buy a bottle of fish sauce. It's in almost every Thai and Vietnamese dish -- without it it just won't taste right. It is made from fish so it is somehwhat "fishy" but it's used as a flavor backnote most of the time. It is, at least, in your recipe.

Even my friends who gag at the smell of fish would sorely miss a Thai dish without fish sauce.

If you like achovies, you might just drink it from the bottle!

Tags
None