Fish stock Substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use St Ours Clam Broth. It is a powder so I keep it in my pantry when a recipe calls for clam juice or fish stock.

Hey everyone. I have a recipe for seafood gumbo and it calls for 7 cups of fish stock. I don't want to make my own and I've looked at Wal-mart (its our only grocery store) and I can't find it. So I was wondering what can I use to substitute it. Someone told me Veg stock (paste) and fish oil. But they went by taste for substitutions and couldn't give me amounts. Anyone know how much I would need?

Here's the recipe by the way.
Seafood Gumbo on Yahoo! Food

Thanks
~Pimpette
Do you have Knorr products in your shops? Knorr do a concentrated fish "Stockpot" which is good. IIRC there are 8 in a pack. They do cubes as well but I prefer the Stockpots.

If you want to make your own ask the fishmonger for fish trimmings - heads bones, etc., for making stock. He might think you've gone mad or you may need to order in advance, especially if your fish counter is in a supermarket. Add the usual veg things, water and wine if you like, in with the fish bits and simmer. Just make sure you don't simmer for too long or you'll end up with something that tastes like glue.

Here's a recipe (but you don't need to make all that much).

Traditional Fish Stock recipe | Epicurious.com

Last edited:
We have seafood base, lobster base and shrimp base. The first we bought was the lobster base and man it worked really well as a sub for fish stock.

Back off everyone and calm down. This always happens. A new member comes on, will ask a question and never return. Then along comes another new member, a few years later, see the thread, feels that they have an answer to the question, answers and we are off. How many of us will admit to doing the very same mistake. I know I did it.

Now to add my two cents to the thread. Nothing like asking your local fishmonger, if you can have a fish frame and cook whatever meat is left on the bones. Toss in some celery, carrots and any other veggie that will contribute to the broth. Cook it down until it is concentrated. Drain and freeze or use in fish or seafood chowder.

It may be an old thread but many of times I have come on here looking for info and anytime someone adds something it is always helpful. I don't care if it is 20 yrs old. The info is there when someone is in need.
Lets not be so sensitive, we are all friends on here. That being said ......

I have used a combination of bottled clam juice and chicken broth/stock with great results.
I only add one bottle clam and the rest the Chicken broth/ stock.

Sagittarius: Shrimp Stock

This may not help you with your immediate need, but I save all the shells, in bags in the freezer, from the shrimp I use for other dishes. When I've accumulated quite a few, I put them in a pan with some chopped onion, a little celery (with leaves), a bit of chopped carrot and just a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and cover with water. I simmer everything for, oh maybe, about 45 minutes. Then I strain it and have some pretty good shrimp stock to use when a recipe calls for a fish stock. If I don't use the stock right away, it gets frozen in 1-cup quantities.

:chef: This is one of the key´s to an authentic Paella or Fiduà (Noodles) which is more common in The Gerona and Costa Brava region ..

Hey everyone. I have a recipe for seafood gumbo and it calls for 7 cups of fish stock. I don't want to make my own and I've looked at Wal-mart (its our only grocery store) and I can't find it. So I was wondering what can I use to substitute it. Someone told me Veg stock (paste) and fish oil. But they went by taste for substitutions and couldn't give me amounts. Anyone know how much I would need?

Here's the recipe by the way.
Seafood Gumbo on Yahoo! Food

Thanks
~Pimpette
Knorr (a Swiss firm widely available in UK so probably in the US) make concentrated fish "Stockpots" and fish stock cubes which are passable if you put more water to them than recommended on the packet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom