Fish Taco Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
1 1/2 pounds fish fillets (I always use a mild white fish, often tilapia)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Lime juice (I use a whole lime because I like it extra "limey")
1/4 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Combine garlic powder, chili powder, pepper, lime juice, crushed red pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Marinate fillets 30 minutes to 1 hour in a zip bag.

Cook fish in frying pan on medium heat until it flakes easily with fork.

I usually saute some onions and peppers and also top with some or all of the following: shredded cabbage or lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, and tomato.

That sounds pretty good. I love tacos and this will be a different twist.

and then...... what???

Sorry, P A, I'm taco-challenged!

Do you put them in soft flour or corn tortillas and roll them up, or do you put them in those crunchy U-shaped things that fall apart when you bite them, or what?

I love the sound of the filling!

Lee

To me, the crunchy U-shaped things are tacos - the others are wraps or burritos :) But it's all good. Use whichever you like best.

:ROFLMAO: That's exactly what I always say.

Old El Paso taco shells are the best. Much lighter tasting than Ortega. Jumbo if you can get them (only Wally World carries the jumbo shells by me). Follow the directions on the box for the oven and they shouldn't fall apart on you, Q.

And get yourself one of these. They make life and tacos so much easier :)

Attachments

• taco holder.JPG
    taco holder.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 206
We often use the soft taco shells (less fat, and we're trying to keep it healthy). I just fold over the sides (like you fold a letter) and don't roll since they're usually too full for that.

I split the cooked fish down the middle lengthwise and then place the pieces into the shells (soft or hard). Here, one fillet fills two tacos. I make sure we leave room for all of the toppings.

Like pacanis said, be sure you heat the shells, whether you use the soft or hard. They don't fall apart then and they taste much better, too.

We like to use Indian flat bread as the shell and top with a baja sauce. Yum, kinda like Taco Bells idea of a Chalupa, only with real ingredients, LOL.

Follow the directions on the box for the oven and they shouldn't fall apart on you, Q.

:)

Pacanis, are you saying that even when I take a bite, the thing won't shatter into a million pieces?

I haven't had a taco since I was kid, because even THEN, I thought they were a pain to try to eat!

Lee

We make these all the time but our best ingredient is the cole slaw we put on the tacos. Just shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, about a cup of miracle whip, the juice of 5 or more limes, cayenne pepper (the more orange the cole slaw gets the better), and salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well and enjoy.

We either blacken the fish or steam it with old bay as the seasoning. Just had some last night after a sea bass trip!

And we do use soft shells when we eat them.

Lee, if you get good at eating tacos it will only shatter into 4 or 5 managable pieces :LOL: The trick is to always eat it over a plate and expect to have a small "taco salad" to eat after your done with the tacos :rolleyes:

Shoe rack :smartass:... sheesh ;)
If the taco fits, eat it. Or something to that effect....

Oh, rats, pacanis, it's just as I thought!

I was hoping you had some new taco shell that had been invented since I last had one

Well, I love the fish filling idea, but I think I'll try it with soft tortillas.

Lee

No.... But I can say that lighter taco shells, like Old El Paso compared to Ortega, don't fall apart quite as much.

Back
Top Bottom