Fish Tacos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first experience was several years ago in CA and I had yellow fin tuna with all the taco fixins' and soft tortillas ... so good with black beans, guacomole, salsa etc. Have often have fish tacos (not always tuna...one can use talapia quite nicely grilled) now...so good!

Robo410 said:
My first experience was several years ago in CA and I had yellow fin tuna with all the taco fixins' and soft tortillas ... so good with black beans, guacomole, salsa etc. Have often have fish tacos (not always tuna...one can use talapia quite nicely grilled) now...so good!

Robo, from your descrip, I could tell you were in CA, lol. Another suggestion, squirt some lime juice over the fish and have a pitcher of Sangria or margaritas.

Barb L said:
Ouuu thats sounds tasty - thanks for the recipe ! :)

I second that!

mish said:
Sattie, I love fish tacos. Tried one years ago at an outdoor beach restaurant/stand (in Malibu, Zuma Beach or beyond - near or on PCH). It was a deep fried white fish, probably similar to fish sticks. If you don't have a deep fryer, those Mrs. Paul's fishsticks were not altogether bad. It's a blast from the past when I had them with mac 'n cheese, lol; but in a pinch, you could use the fish sticks, add chopped tomatoes, slaw, tartar sauce or relish, & roll it up in a soft taco.

Re the fish sticks - an interesting recipe I saw was pasta shells stuffed with fish sticks (tomato sauce and mozzarella?) on the Gorton's site.

I am so glad I tried them, they are still on my mind. The fish sticks I am not sure about, I guess I need to try them if I am needing a quick fix.

Now the pasta shells, that sounds really strange... but as a rule of thumb for myself.... don't knock it until you have tried it!!!

Last edited:
I had these a few years ago in southern California. I believe they first got trendy somewhere on the Baja Peninsula. Now they have them in all the "trendy" restaurants around here.

My favorite version is from an ethnic fusion restaurant in a near-by town. They use an Indian flatbread called Roti that kinda looks like a tortilla, but it is a bit thicker and soft. A lot of places use it for Gyro's too. Then they have hunks of Haddock with a light batter similar to Tempura, shredded cabbage, chipotle/lime sour cream, and a guacamole that is thinned a bit and pureed into a sauce. Then it's topped with tomato concasse and diced red onion.

They are definetly addicting! It's actually a recipe I have on my list to make at home. I'm hoping to get to it by winter. I've been trying to make the Roti bread for both these and my home-made gyros (I know it's not traditional, but Roti absorbs some of the sauces instead of leaking them out like Tortillas and Pitas).

If you haven't had the chance to try them, I highly recommend them as others here have! :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, you're absolutely right Gretchen. I couldn't remember the name of the Indian Bread, so I just googled "Indian Bread" and came up with Roti by mistake.

The bread isn't Roti, It's Naan. It's leavened, but it's still quite thin, maybe the thickness of two Pitas. It's absolutely amazing with Gyros and Fish Tacos!

The flavors in that restaurant are a head-on blend of Mexican, Indian, and Middle-Eastern (wish I could say which countries, but I don't know enough about middle-eastern cuisine beyond the typical dishes found here like Hummos, Falafel, Pomagranate Juice, Tabouleh, etc). It's amazing grub.

Fish tacos is an incredibly diverse dish. Depending on the type of fish you're using, or the type of tortilla, you can come up with a myriad of combinations.

My favorite fish to use is swordfish, hands down. It is a rather mild flavored fish, and works wells with nearly any type of salsa you can imagine. For very spicy or strong flavored salsa though, I might prefer tuna or salmon. Various fruit salsa/pico de gallos work very well too.

I know some folks who enjoy fish burritos as well, but I only like them if there are no beans included inside the burrito. Beans and fish dont work for me. Some of my favorite flavors to add are lime and cilantro though, I think they just complement the fish incredibly well.

I've never had any shellfish tacos other than shrimp, and I prefer to use those for shrimp fajitas rather than tacos.

Get yourself some mild mexican cheese as well, Chihuahua or Queso Anejo are good, and melt nicely on a tortilla, or you could try the more crumbly Queso Fresco.

You guys got me craving them again and I have not had one since I have been back. I got all the shared recipes, so I am looking forward to trying my own home made attempt.

I agree on the diversity of this tasty treat, Nicholas Mosher... I am drooling all over again reading your description of west coast fish tacos, and the Naan... oh yes!!!! I believe it would be absolutely gratifying!!! Yet another idea/variation to deposit in the gray matter!

Back
Top Bottom